Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   YOUR closet - how many clothes?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426840)

diaperangel 08-01-2012 03:48 PM

YOUR closet - how many clothes??

Ok Mamas,

I'm trying to organize MY wardrobe. How many shirts/pants/dresses/shoes do you allow yourself to have??

I have too much, and I hate choosing clothes in the morning. I want simple and high quality.

Help me! These are my questions to you:

1. (already asked) How many of each item do you have/allow?
2. Where do you shop for high quality low cost
3. Any extra tips?

:thumbsup:

lookatreestar 08-01-2012 05:09 PM

Following this thread... I want the same thing!

diaperangel 08-01-2012 08:44 PM

Re: YOUR closet - how many clothes??

Anyone? Help!!

ARogers 08-01-2012 08:59 PM

I found this online. http://www.livingonadime.com/how-man...hes-do-i-need/

Fishie Kisses 08-01-2012 09:01 PM

I have about 4 or 5 pairs of casual pants, and like 6 or so of each type of shirt (tank, t, long sleeve, sweater). I have literally 2 dresses and no skirts. A large quantity of my clothes came from Good Will or MEGA clearance at Sears and Fashion Bug. I hate hate hate spending money on myself lol

Cortney 08-02-2012 06:02 AM

7 cardigans
11 shirts

2 pairs of pants
11 skirts
1 dress

8 scarves

BabyKakes 08-02-2012 06:35 AM

I read on a fashion blog about a 30x30 challenge where you pair your wardrobe (including shoes & accessories) down to 30 items that can be mixed & matched to make 30 outfits. She had 10 tops, 3 cardigans, 5 bottoms, 5 shoes & 7 accessories. Kinda sounded like a fun challenge.

Personally I'm not brand loyal when it comes to clothing. I usually shop the clearance racks at GAP, ON, AnnTaylor Loft & Kohl's. Oh and if you're looking for a nice basic tee, Target has the Merona tees (heavier weight ones) for $6 this week, but there's a $3 printable coupon on their website making them just $3 in-store...They are surprisingly nice!

BabyKakes 08-02-2012 06:35 AM

double post

happysmileylady 08-02-2012 06:41 AM

I run into problems in this area all the time. This is one of the areas where I truly WANT to be minimalist, and I kinda am, but not very good at it if that makes sense.

In the summer, I almost always wear jean shorts and T-shirts. Jammies/loungewear is usually jersey knit shorts and extra large shirts or night shirts. In the winter, it's jeans and sweatshirts, and jammies/loungewear is usually sweatpants or flannel pants and sweatshirts. So I would love to shrink my wardrobe to like 5 pairs of jeans, 5 pairs of jean shorts, 10 t shirts, 10 sweatshirts, and like 2 pairs of jammie shorts and 2 pairs of jammie pants.

The problem comes in when an occasion comes up that requires nicer clothes. These things don't happen often, probably like every 2 to 3 months. And it drives me NUTS to have stuff hanging in my closet to be used like 4 times a year. Especially in the last several years. I am on my 3rd pregnancy in 4 yrs, of course nothing fits now, and it's just really a guess as to what actually fits and what doesn't.

DottieHarley 08-02-2012 07:24 AM

Subbing for more ideas!
I have a pretty minimalist closet bc i dont like to shop or spend money on myself, lol. I think what you have depends on your lifestyle.
I have 4-5 pairs of work pants that i wear all the time, also to church
3 semicasual skirts for get togethers or church, 3 dresses.
Tops are harder, i have probably 12 work/nicer and 6 casual. Plus a few more that i just cant bear to part with.
3 pairs if shorts, 3 pairs of jeans (2 are nicer and can go to work)
That is not including gym clothes.
Total shoes maybe 8 pairs incl workout work and flip flops.

I think i can pare this down more if i was honest with myself about what will get worn.

- for "classic/basic" stuff i am am advocate of buying decently priced high quality stuff so that it will last. For pants i love express, for tops ann taylor. More casual stuff like tshirts that will be stained or worn in 1/2 seasons, old navy all the way! I also like to hit marshalls and tjmaxx first for work tops, can find cute quality stuff for cheap.
- not entirely on purpose, most of my wardrobe is mix and match bc i like black and neutrals, and don't really wear brown, so that cuts a lot of duplicates. I do a lot of "top and sweater or jacket" combos so i can wear lots of tops year round, or for work AND play.