Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In July (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Bright red blood then nothing!...need advice/encouragement (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427102)

neatostacy 08-02-2012 08:19 AM

Bright red blood then nothing!...need advice/encouragement

No baby for me yet! Yesterday I was on the toilet and noticed bright red blood in the toilet (after having passed a lot of bloody show earlier that was browner) I immediately freaked out and called the doula. She suggested just to go into L&D and get checked. We got the neighbor over to watch the girls and left immediately. I had been checked on Monday and was at 4cm, 100 %...last night I was 5 and the dr said he'd rather I stay in the hospital since I was 5. I asked if I could just go home because I definitely didn't feel like regular ctx had started. He said, well, you might end up back here with a baby in your arms...I was a deer in the headlights. (The blood was apparently just from cervical changes.) I was NOT expecting to stay there and then be told no food/hooked up to monitors/etc. No sleep for me last night. As has happened the past 2-3 nights, my ctx picked up until about 11pm then faded out. I knew that would happen! The dr. came in and said, "you can go home, or I can break your water and be done with it." I was NOT ready to make that decision either. Anyway, we ended up spending the night in the hospital just waiting and being very torn about whether to just let him break my water and get things going. I should have gone home earlier, but waited til this morning to call it. So we are at home now, waiting for things to progress on their own. I still am not having regular contractions at 5 cm! I am trying to figure out why. I am going to get a chiropractic adjustment this afternoon to see if I can balance out my uterus. I have a feeling he's just not in the right place yet. Could that be it? If this adjustment doesn't "work" I plan to go into the office tomorrow (Friday) and get my membranes stripped again.

I just didn't want to say "yes, break my water" because then I'd be making the decision instead of my baby/body. I am only 4 days overdue. Did I make the right decision? I am so tired of the mental back-and-forth.

melyndie 08-02-2012 08:49 AM

I would, without question, have made the same decision you did! Obviously your body is getting ready on its own, and as there is no medical need for you to go now, you are better off waiting! If he broke your water now, there is a risk of prolapsed cord (I would never allow water to be broken at just 5cm--the baby's head could still easily be floating), and there would be a fairly good chance you'd end up with some pitocin. Plus if he broke your water yet your contractions didn't pick up enough, you would be on the clock and have to give birth in 24 hours (so you would end up with pitocin or a c-section). Anyway, all that is to say that you made the right decision! Your body will kick into action when it is ready, and the fact that you are already at a 5 is excellent because it means less work for your body when active labor finally starts. :)

marliah 08-02-2012 09:00 AM

Re: Bright red blood then nothing!...need advice/encouragement

I think you made the right decision :hugs: sounds like you are really close to having the baby! Hang in there momma! I bet things will go fast when they start :)

edens_mom 08-02-2012 11:58 AM

:hugs: Good decision I think, too. Labor could be right around the corner for you, hang in there! With this baby my labor started out wimpy and sporadic and got me to 4cm and 80% [I had a scheduled OB appt in the middle of it] without so much as a wince. It was on again, off again, never very strong, and then I woke up in labor 12 or so hours later and I got to the hospital 9 cm without even trying to delay. Apparently my body wanted to take it slow and easy, and maybe yours does too. :goodvibes::hugs:

neatostacy 08-02-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edens_mom (Post 15489874)
:hugs: Good decision I think, too. Labor could be right around the corner for you, hang in there! With this baby my labor started out wimpy and sporadic and got me to 4cm and 80% [I had a scheduled OB appt in the middle of it] without so much as a wince. It was on again, off again, never very strong, and then I woke up in labor 12 or so hours later and I got to the hospital 9 cm without even trying to delay. Apparently my body wanted to take it slow and easy, and maybe yours does too. :goodvibes::hugs:

I hope mine is like this! I went to the chiropractor today and already feel much more relaxed and I know we made the right decision. I have no expectations anymore! I think once real labor starts, there will be no mistaking it and I will do what I need to do. I am so excited to meet my little boy!!

2beauties 08-03-2012 07:37 AM

DDC

I did not go into real hard labor until I was about 9 1/2 cm with DS2. I went to the hospital when I was 7 cm and finally let her break my water. But it was still a slow labor with spaced out contractions. Grant had his cord around his neck twice and slowly made his way out. If I had been induced then I would have had an emergency csection. Trust your instincts, and what you are comfortable. Your body may just be gently progressing for a reason.

calex99 08-03-2012 08:18 AM

I definitely would have made the same decision. There's no need to break the water so just let your body do what it needs to do. Hugs! You're really close :)

edens_mom 08-03-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2beauties (Post 15493520)
DDC

I did not go into real hard labor until I was about 9 1/2 cm with DS2. I went to the hospital when I was 7 cm and finally let her break my water. But it was still a slow labor with spaced out contractions. Grant had his cord around his neck twice and slowly made his way out. If I had been induced then I would have had an emergency csection. Trust your instincts, and what you are comfortable. Your body may just be gently progressing for a reason.

:hugs: I totally agree with this! Our bodies are not broken just because they do not follow textbook labor patterns! I read another birth story of a woman with a long, erratic labor who ended up having an extremely short umbilical cord and a fundal placenta. Her baby just NEEDED to make a slow, easy descent or else it would have been problematic for both mom and baby.

neatostacy 08-03-2012 11:13 AM

Hmm. After reading all these stories of slow long progression, I wonder if there is a reason for mine. Yesterday after the chiro appt I did feel the baby settle down a little further into my pelvis. I went in again this morning for another stripping, and we'll see if that does anything. Then a biophysical ultrasound on Monday, so it will be interesting to see if I make it to Monday (!!) I wonder if there is a cord issue that no one else suspects.

marliah 08-03-2012 03:01 PM

just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you momma :hugs: