Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Another fundal height question. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427147)

champatlife 08-02-2012 10:37 AM

Another fundal height question.

small history- I had one due date (matched with LMP- and estimate dates (there was 3 back to backit could have been) of conception, I had an early sonogram that matched up. Then I switched providers, and they started caluclating my date based off my 20 week ultrasound, and my due date got pushed back. I did ask them about it, but then decided a later due date meant I wouldn't be forced into an early inductions.

NOW: I went in today and my fundal height is measuring a week behind (which really means I'm measuring 2 weeks behind) Should I worry about it? or should I chalk it up to it's easy for someone to mess up measuring to some degree anyways since nothing is ever "exact"?

edens_mom 08-02-2012 02:28 PM

Re: Another fundal height question.

First of all, the age of your baby depends on the date you ovulated, not the date you dtd. Second, fundal height is both easy to mess up and not an exact measure of your baby's size. I measured small at various times with my last two children and still ended up with 8+ lb babies. My recent baby in particular I carried very compactly and very low, so I was always several weeks behind. :) My doctor was so unconcerned she actually never told me what I measured unless I asked.

champatlife 08-02-2012 04:15 PM

Since was were trying to get pregnant we dtd those three days based on estimasted ovulation, which we based on lmp because I had been regular, and it was our first go at trying this time around, as I said my early sonogram practically confirmed our dates were spot on.

Thanks for the info on babys positioning affecting fundal height. I think I'm just getting antsy because Im 1 lb over prepregnancy weight as of today. One week behind doesntconcern me, but technically i am 10 days (so that would be 17 days behind?)dif from from original due date, I guess if at an apt im still exactly the same as today I should say something, but if fundal height increases at all, don't worry?

Sonoran Bloom 08-02-2012 06:22 PM

Has your baby dropped yet? I think fundal height can measure smaller once that happens, too.

I'm also due in September and very much in the same boat as you as far as dating the edd goes. My fundal height measurement was a week smaller this last time, too. But, I can tell the baby is starting to engage so I think that has a lot to do with that.

gigismomma 08-02-2012 07:47 PM

I wouldn't jump to conclusions at this point.......there is user error/variability in those measurements, but if you are consistently measuring behind I would express your concern to your provider. A quick ultrasound to better assess growth might set your mind at ease. And if there is something going on (like IUGR or low fluid), the sooner you address that the better. When is your next appointment? Are you drinking enough fluids? Have you had a lot of morning sickness to account for the lack of weight gain?

keen1981 08-02-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champatlife
small history- I had one due date (matched with LMP- and estimate dates (there was 3 back to backit could have been) of conception, I had an early sonogram that matched up. Then I switched providers, and they started caluclating my date based off my 20 week ultrasound, and my due date got pushed back. I did ask them about it, but then decided a later due date meant I wouldn't be forced into an early inductions.

NOW: I went in today and my fundal height is measuring a week behind (which really means I'm measuring 2 weeks behind) Should I worry about it? or should I chalk it up to it's easy for someone to mess up measuring to some degree anyways since nothing is ever "exact"?

The height is not exact science. I have never measured correctly. Ever. I have the records from my first son actually and every single visit it was off. I remember ds#2 being the same.

I'm also thin and keep my weight gain under 30lbs with pregnancy. So idk if that plays a part??

joeslittlewoman 08-02-2012 09:32 PM

With ODS the NP and MD measured several weeks different going by fundal height. They ended up in the office with me on the same day trying to figure it out and still got different measurements. I always measure way ahead in the 3rd trimester, by ultrasound and fundal height. I have larger babies, though.

hcokasil 08-03-2012 06:32 PM

i'm always measuring small and my least two were 8-13, and 8-9, so not tiny babies!

sorry, i'm really bad at autocorrect and I don't like proof reading!

QMtwins 08-04-2012 10:56 PM

Hello...new here, but wanted to chime in. Your EDC should not be calculated off a 20 week u/s. If you have one in the early first trimester it should be used and if it adds up to within a few days of your EDC from your LMP (if known) then the LMP is generally used.

hohaas 08-05-2012 05:25 AM

I always measure behind w fundal height on all my preg. At one pt in my last i measured 4 wks behind. Usually if dr is concerned they'll do an US to check growth of baby.