Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Question about staying latched... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427312)

MichelleKiley 08-02-2012 04:05 PM

Question about staying latched...

Maybe I'm asking a "stupid" question... Oh well! :)

My little one is 8 weeks today and doing just great, really (always plenty of wets/dirties, gaining and growing like a champ, no green and frothy poops, etc.)... Buuuut. She doesn't "like" staying latched on. If I try to nurse her in a cradle or cross-cradle (or any way with me sitting up) she is typically fussy after a couple of minutes. (not every time. But she rarely rarely comfort nurses this way.) If we lay down to nurse, she is golden. Kind of. She is happy to nurse and get her fill of milk and/or comfort, but she is unlatching and relatching repeatedly. Sometimes every thirty seconds or so. I do have a pretty hefty letdown, so I understand that she likes to pop off to avoid the fire hydrant. lol. But why is she popping off even when I'm not spraying?
And how will I ever be able to nurse in public? I'm down with public nursing, but not with flashing people. Or laying on the floor in the middle of a store. Hahaha.
Am I teaching her a "bad habit" by letting her unlatch so often? I don't know how not to though... Because that's how she's happy!
Sometimes she needs to nurse while we're out, but it never goes as well as I want it too.

I feel like there is something I'm missing. Or maybe this is normal for a brand new mommy?? Never seemed like it in all of "the books." Help me out here, ladies.

abunchoflemons 08-02-2012 06:44 PM

Re: Question about staying latched...

Books not talk bout lots of issues. Have u tried to massage while she eats? Could be going through spurt & getting frustrated on supply that hasn't reached her need yet.

MichelleKiley 08-02-2012 06:55 PM

Well, if anything, I've actually dealt with oversupply. And she has been doing this unlatch/relatch all the time since birth. So I don't think so? Unless she just doesn't like the inconsistency between my crazy letdown and then slower flow...?

Leanbh 08-02-2012 09:08 PM

Wish I could help but haven't dealt with that, esp if she's been doing it since birth? Have you checked out the kellymom website to see if any info about it there?

I know when I'm trying to avoid LO biting me or to make sure he had a correct latch during the first week or so I would/do shove as much bb in to make sure he was latching/not able to bite(from teething right now). Have you tried that - I have heard of others doing it too that first few weeks.....

lilmomma83 08-02-2012 09:13 PM

We had that, and what I thought was oversupply...it was all tongue tie related