Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Did your pedi fire you? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427404)

EmmaGM 08-02-2012 09:09 PM

Did your pedi fire you?

...for delayed/selectively/non-vaxing?

I've pretty much decided I want to delay & selectively vax Faolan but I really, really like my pedi and I'm so scared she'll fire me. :blush: I keep putting off making his 2 month appointment because I'm not looking forward to this fight, the lecture, or possibly getting fired. :banghead:

poopstermomma 08-02-2012 09:12 PM

Re: Did your pedi fire you?

I not only got fired, he also went behind my back and reported me to my obgyn. And threatened to call social services. And called my child a bio hazard. Awesomesauce.

poopstermomma 08-02-2012 09:14 PM

Buuuuut, my new pedi is fabulous, and totally gets me and all of our decisions. He revels in asking ME what shots we are doing. He thinks it is great that I challenge the system! So find someone who makes you happy! It will be worth it in the long run!

happysmileylady 08-02-2012 09:17 PM

My doc doesn't even do vaccines.

luvsviola 08-02-2012 09:22 PM

Mine is willing to delay if I agreed to do them all. Her thoughts are that she'd rather you delay than not do them at all, and she thinks they are important.

However...we are on an HSA with an $8,000 deductible. Well child visits are free. But if you delay, you have to pay for everything at the nurse visits ($100 for the visit, plus the cost of the vaxes) that aren't part of the well-child visit. So we'd have to pay out of pocket for a lot of the vaxes and the nurse visit. We just can't do that. So I vaxed on schedule.

luvsviola 08-02-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 15492132)
...for delayed/selectively/non-vaxing?

I've pretty much decided I want to delay & selectively vax Faolan but I really, really like my pedi and I'm so scared she'll fire me. :blush: I keep putting off making his 2 month appointment because I'm not looking forward to this fight, the lecture, or possibly getting fired. :banghead:

I would call and pretend to be a new patient, and ask the doctor's stance on delaying vaccines. That should give you an indication of how things might go.

Kätzchen 08-02-2012 09:28 PM

No problems with my ped. I even switched from the ped I had wanted to the one that cared for my daughter when she was delivered in the hospital. I have always been really calm and kind about our parenting choices; my family is known as "that cute European family", so I'm thinking they probably think we are nuts, but I love them anyways. :)

princessgirl409 08-02-2012 09:29 PM

Oh yes! He not only fired me(before I had the chance to fire them), but one of his office staff called my house and told me I was breaking the law. She also told me that my insurance company has spoken with them and has a big problem with us delaying vaccines. Then when I pressed her for more info she let me know it really had nothing to do with my insurance co. except that their office was being audited by the ins. co. So, I'm sure they didn't get whatever the "prize"was for having all their patients up to date on vaccines.

They also sent a letter telling me how I was putting other children at great risk and they would not allow me to do that to their other patients.

Now, I really liked our ped., but I knew this was coming and that's why I didn't confront it head on before they had a chance to. I was constantly being hounded to "get them caught up",etc.

I haven't found a new ped. yet and thankfully haven't needed one, but I do hope to find a really great one that will listen to parents instead of demanding that their way is the only way.

GEMQEMCABOOSE 08-02-2012 09:34 PM

Yes. Told me I broke the "patient-doctor trust". He couldn't treat my children because I obviously didn't trust him to know what was best for my LOs.
Then went on to say that if refuses to treat my children, all other 12 pedis in the practice will too since they "back each other up". So I not only lost my pedi but also my practice.
That said, we found the most fantabulous pedi elsewhere with a great office, great staff, and a great working relationship.
I'm so thankful I got fired.

pcjs 08-02-2012 09:37 PM

We slowed down things at 9 months - should have sooner as fevering/cranky. We had no issues but they knew us well and knew we'd be back. I limited the shots to two shots per visit and let them pick (I refuse to do the chicken pox until older as I prefer the natural immunity but I will not expose on purpose either). It worked far better for us. If I did it again, I'd limit them too. They told me they bundle them as many parents don't come back or aren't willing to come back often enough to do less/more. They preferred I do them but it was never a big deal. Our new ped is great and she didn't have any issues with it when I was there for our preschool forms a few weeks ago. :) (but we are caught up except chicken pox and flu/both refuse). I just sign the religious exemption for our state as it didn't require anything but my signature/no explanation.