Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Paleo & Primal Chat August/September (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427451)

AmberP 08-02-2012 10:06 PM

Paleo & Primal Chat August/September

It's August already! Where did July go? I haven't even started thinking about school stuff or our homeschool co-op that starts up at the end of September. :blush:

I know it has been asked before, but do your kids eat Paleo too? I've really been struggling with this. I want them to be as healthy as possible, but I don'/t want to take away the things they actually eat. My 2yo DS is SO picky and doesn't eat meat or many other things and 6yo DD hardly eats meat or eggs. They eat mostly primal, LOTS of fruit, but they do get bread or cereal about every other day.

snugsboutique 08-03-2012 05:23 PM

Re: Paleo & Primal Chat August/September

I've stuggled with this too. DS loves bread! I've switched to rice pasta for his
mac n'cheese but he still has cereal, toast, pita pizza's, and grilled cheese sandwhiches on a regular basis. He does eat alot of fruit, veggies (mainly peas, brocolli, and green beans), and meats like eggs, chicken (or a substitute meat we call chicken :giggle:), and bacon. But for now I just don't know what to replace his bread with, I'm at a loss.

TPLmommy 08-04-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snugsboutique
I've stuggled with this too. DS loves bread! I've switched to rice pasta for his
mac n'cheese but he still has cereal, toast, pita pizza's, and grilled cheese sandwhiches on a regular basis. He does eat alot of fruit, veggies (mainly peas, brocolli, and green beans), and meats like eggs, chicken (or a substitute meat we call chicken :giggle:), and bacon. But for now I just don't know what to replace his bread with, I'm at a loss.

Try making coconut waffles for a bread replacement. We are on the GAPS diet (my whole family) which is super similar to Primal/Paleo. I make two batches of waffles a week & we use them for sandwich bread when we are spending the day away from home or if I don't have time to make something else (eggs, steamed veggies, salad, etc) for lunch. :)

My recipe is:
12 eggs
1/2 C coconut oil
1/2 C coconut flour
1/4 C raw honey (can be reduced to taste, especially for turkey or egg sandwiches)
1/4 C applesauce
1 t sea salt

Makes 16-20 waffles, depending on your waffle maker & how thick you pour the batter. I try to do thin waffles to get as many as I can from one batch! :chuckle:

The batter itself is very thin, not at all like regular pancake or waffle batter so you can mix all the ingredients in a blender & pour from that onto your waffle maker.

HTH!

TPLmommy 08-04-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberP
It's August already! Where did July go? I haven't even started thinking about school stuff or our homeschool co-op that starts up at the end of September. :blush:

I know it has been asked before, but do your kids eat Paleo too? I've really been struggling with this. I want them to be as healthy as possible, but I don'/t want to take away the things they actually eat. My 2yo DS is SO picky and doesn't eat meat or many other things and 6yo DD hardly eats meat or eggs. They eat mostly primal, LOTS of fruit, but they do get bread or cereal about every other day.

It has taken my kids (2yo & 4yo) a while to get used to the new foods we are eating. But they don't really have an option because I stopped buying all "illegal" foods so what I do buy is all they have to choose from. They resisted quite a bit at first, then their appetites went crazy & they were packing away tons of food, & now they are back to a normal appetite, but not super resistant or picky.

I try to involve them a lot with our diet. They help make snacks (fruit salad, coconut haystacks, grain free granola, etc) & meals (n-oatmeal, grain free pancakes, coconut waffles, meatballs & spaghetti squash, chicken soup, bun-less burgers, taco salad, etc) with me. I give them the grocery ads & have them go through it with a marker & circle all the foods that are healthy & then we put an X on the foods we can't have. My 4yo DS caught on very quickly & actually points out stuff we can't have. For example, at a friend's party, when cake (an amazing looking chocolate cake, but we cant have any chocolate on our diet :cry: ) was being served he came up to me & said "Mommy, we can't have cake, right? Cause it has grains & sugar in it." :hehe2: I just agreed with him & asked him if he wanted some more fruit salad, which he did. :)

Both my kids have very different tastes. They love chicken, beef, & fish now (thank goodness), but DS prefers steamed vegetables (peas, green beans, broccoli, etc) & DD1 prefers raw vegetables (lots of salad, carrots, etc). DS will eat eggs for every meal (just like his mama) but DD1 won't even try them anymore. :( We make smoothies (with fruit & dark leafy greens) daily & the kids help with those too. Whatever combos they don't love I simply pour into popsicle molds for later. ;)

Anyway, that was a long reply, but hopefully it will give you a couple ideas to try! :goodvibes:

MeCo7707 08-04-2012 06:16 AM

The whole family is primal, except husband who will eat whatever when he is out and about - but we are used to that because the kids and I have been gluten free for years.

Had some gluten free cookies yesterday I felt awful afterwards, ODD birthday is Monday working on a grain free cake for her :)

AmberP 08-09-2012 01:12 AM

I am struggling. It isn't all the sudden, but it has been building up a little bit at a time. My mind knows that things aren't good for me, but it also craves them and gives in. It has been especially rough with AF this past week and a half. I am trying to think of something to boost my morale and get back on track so that I can start feeling great again.

Next week is my birthday and I am going to find some almond flour and make this cake.

sweetgrace 08-09-2012 03:16 PM

Hi Ladies! Hi AmberP!! We have just completed the Whole30 (paleo/primal challenge).My husband and I are on strict Whole30 rules while my boys are eating most everything we are. I do NOT make seperate meals for them just because they do not care for something. However, I do give them organic sprouted bread occationally with breakfast or to make a grilled cheese sandwich or the occational cracker. Rarely do I buy anything boxed or processed. I also am not limiting their dairy at this point.

Right now I am feeling really BORED with what we eat. Do you ladies have any favorite recipes and/or websites that you get your ideas from. I am feeling like we are eating the.same.thing.all.the.time! Spacifically with lunch and breakfast. Poor hubby has been taking boiled eggs for breakfast every morning! Quite frankly I am getting tierd of eggs myself.

I am also thinking of slowly trasitioning us into the GAPS diet as I feel like I need a more thorough elimination diet for myself as I have just been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease this past spring. I have to be gluten free for sure but am unsure about dairy/night shades/legumes/rice.

TPLmommy~ I just made your waffles today for 'sandwhich' bread. It was really tasty! Thank you for the recipe. I LOVE how easy it is. Have you made it with no honey before? Did you follow a GAPS intro meal plan or did you just jump right in :) It kind of is intimidating. I like things spelled out clearly for me.

sweetgrace 08-09-2012 03:17 PM

AmberP~ That cake looks really yummy! I think I'm going to make the cheesecake off of that website for hubbys b-day in November :) Let us know how your cake turns out!

TPLmommy 08-09-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetgrace
*snip*
TPLmommy~ I just made your waffles today for 'sandwhich' bread. It was really tasty! Thank you for the recipe. I LOVE how easy it is. Have you made it with no honey before? Did you follow a GAPS intro meal plan or did you just jump right in :) It kind of is intimidating. I like things spelled out clearly for me.

Glad you liked it! I have done it without honey & it's still yummy. Better for egg sandwiches & turkey, etc. We mostly make PB & honey though so that tastes better when I leave the honey in the recipe. I know PB isn't paleo, but it's GAPS. ;)

We limited grains to once a day for a month & then jumped into full gaps, including dairy. You're supposed to detox from dairy & re introduce it slowly but we weren't ready for that yet. We could probably do it now though, we are down to an occasional bowl of yogurt, a kefir smoothie a day & cheese as toppings on chili, eggs, etc. & butter on our veggies. Oh & my latest obsession, creme fraiche ice cream. :wub: So yeah, maybe at our 6 month mark we will eliminate dairy. ;)

For breakfast ideas...we do pancakes made with nut butters & squash,muffins, coconut waffles, fruit clafoutis, smoothies, grain free granola & yogurt, cauliflower "bread pudding", & my new favorite n-oatmeal. Here's some links:

http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/...ffins.html?m=1

http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/02/0...grits-pudding/

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...uten-free.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/no-oa...#axzz21kOieOUr

http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/...cakes.html?m=1

http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/...anola.html?m=1

I reduced the temp to 250-275 with this one ^

Hope that helps! :)

MeCo7707 08-09-2012 05:41 PM

We usually skip breakfast or just have fruit, as far as recipes I really like the Food lover Make it Paleo :)