Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   August *Garden Chat thread* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427637)

3lilbubs 08-03-2012 12:05 PM

August *Garden Chat thread*

"Dirty hands, iced tea, garden fragrances thick in the air and a blanket of color before me,
who could ask for more?"
- Bev Adams, Mountain Gardening

Well here we are ladies, in the last bountiful month of the year.. this month is always bittersweet for me because as I fill my baskets to the brim I know it is the last for some time.

Last night was our first full moon of this month and there will be a second "blue moon" on the 31rst. The next one isn't until 2015! Dh and I sat and watched it come up through smokey pink clouds. Absolutely gorgeous. Crickets chirping, corn waving in the moonlight. How silly with happiness these things make me. :)

sarahannecloud9 08-03-2012 02:30 PM

Re: August *Garden Chat thread*

Yay!! Another month of gardening. it's bitter sweet for me to know it's comeing to an end. :( It was 59 deg. the other night. I adore fall and winter, but will dearly miss my summer garden. I have a great jump on the fall crops though. :)

DCAMama 08-03-2012 03:14 PM

We usually have until mid September, at least, until most of our garden has to be picked. My tomatoes are doing great. I'm picking a minimum of 6 a day. I just wish I knew when my Black Krim were ripe to pick. I've never grown them before so I have no idea. There are about 3 that a pretty purple color right now. Not a bright purple, a deep purple color.

I have one bell pepper total on 6 plants. I don't think they are liking the heat as much as the tomatoes are. The sweet banana are doing pretty good, I've gotten like 12 off 4 plants. Jalapenos are starting to fruit. I have one head of cauliflower. And the broccoli is about done.

I have 2 pumpkins now :) I just hope they will turn before Halloween.

And I got my cherries done. I'll have to post the picture I took as soon as I can find the cord for my camera.

sarahannecloud9 08-04-2012 04:25 AM

Can't wait to see those cherries!!! Wow, sounds like the garden is hoppin!
Black toms are new to me too. What I have been doing is picking when the bottom is dark and the top is still green. For some reasion my tops are just staying green forever. I also let the bottom start to get a bit soft.

here are some pics I enjoyed.

As my corn get's to be a good size, some are just snapping off or ffalling over? What the heck?
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012031.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012030.jpg
My helper.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...y2012053-1.jpg
Some of the mellons that are finally makeing it!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...y2012036-1.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012033.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...y2012049-1.jpg
Boys will be boys. They actually broke the thing. :(
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...y2012040-1.jpg
Purple beans starting to blossom.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012023.jpg
My early mornin helper!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012021.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012014.jpg
Crazy black tomato. :)
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012016.jpg
A cuc Gramma missed.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012009.jpg
The little boys playing on the tractor, classic, lol.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uly2012011.jpg

brookglen 08-04-2012 03:40 PM

Hi guys! I have been mia. I'm finally starting to feel like a human being again and am now in the second trimester. It was a rough one.

So I have yet to taste a single tomato from my garden because the very thought made me want to throw up. I failed to pickle any of my cucumbers because I was sleeping 10 hours a day. The whole gardenis a jungle of weeds right now and I'm half tempted to just till everything and start my winter crops.

On the plus side, I got four pumpkins off of one vine (and it looks like one more is one the way!). My mom says my corn looks better than anything they are growing in Iowa right now (there has been a water shortage this year). Anyway, I think I'm ready to get back in my garden, I just have to figure out where to start, because there is a ton of work to be done.

3lilbubs 08-04-2012 07:17 PM

Hey ladies, how are your snap bean crops doing? I know a lot of us have had heat and when I search the specific issues I'm having with my crops I find that it all points to too-high temps. My bean plants have deeply grooved dark and curled leaves, blossom drop and what beans do set are small and curved into a perfect "c" shape. The only beans I'm getting perfect lovely beans from are the bush beans. I can't complain about them. They are pretty and the beans are huge. But I won't get the same crop from them as the pole (runner) beans. It stinks. :( Is anyone else having trouble? Last year I had beans coming out my ears... maybe it was a cooler year?

DCAMama 08-04-2012 09:36 PM

When I was out picking my zillion tomatoes, I checked on my 2 pumpkins. The borers are getting at the zines closer to the plant end but the vine ends are still looking good. I'm just hoping that there is enough of the vine left that my 2 little babies make it. I've never had luck with pumpkins, so I thought I would give it one more shot. I'm not doing any more vines next year. My cukes stink, I had to pull my zucchini, my watermelon and cantaloupe never grew and not the pumpkin is getting eaten :(

3lilbubs 08-04-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmwinge (Post 15495827)
We usually have until mid September, at least, until most of our garden has to be picked. My tomatoes are doing great. I'm picking a minimum of 6 a day. I just wish I knew when my Black Krim were ripe to pick. I've never grown them before so I have no idea. There are about 3 that a pretty purple color right now. Not a bright purple, a deep purple color.

I have one bell pepper total on 6 plants. I don't think they are liking the heat as much as the tomatoes are. The sweet banana are doing pretty good, I've gotten like 12 off 4 plants. Jalapenos are starting to fruit. I have one head of cauliflower. And the broccoli is about done.

I have 2 pumpkins now :) I just hope they will turn before Halloween.

And I got my cherries done. I'll have to post the picture I took as soon as I can find the cord for my camera.

ooh I want to see the canned cherries too! I think that's all the color the black krim tomatoes get, right? I will find out soon myself. I have some "chocolate cherry" tomatoes planted that turn the same color. Looks burgundy on the seed envelope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 (Post 15498057)
Can't wait to see those cherries!!! Wow, sounds like the garden is hoppin!
Black toms are new to me too. What I have been doing is picking when the bottom is dark and the top is still green. For some reasion my tops are just staying green forever. I also let the bottom start to get a bit soft.

here are some pics I enjoyed.

As my corn get's to be a good size, some are just snapping off or ffalling over? What the heck?

Aw the boys are so cute and holy cannoli... that is a giant cuke! :jawdrop: Aw, I'm sorry about your corn. :( I wonder if it was wind.. I have had mine look like that after a wind storm. I have a bunch of seeds I'm gonna send you and some of them are short season corn varieties. Don't have as big an ear but they are still tasty. :) They also stay short, around 4-5 foot tall. It gets too hot, too fast here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookglen (Post 15500080)
Hi guys! I have been mia. I'm finally starting to feel like a human being again and am now in the second trimester. It was a rough one.

So I have yet to taste a single tomato from my garden because the very thought made me want to throw up. I failed to pickle any of my cucumbers because I was sleeping 10 hours a day. The whole gardenis a jungle of weeds right now and I'm half tempted to just till everything and start my winter crops.

On the plus side, I got four pumpkins off of one vine (and it looks like one more is one the way!). My mom says my corn looks better than anything they are growing in Iowa right now (there has been a water shortage this year). Anyway, I think I'm ready to get back in my garden, I just have to figure out where to start, because there is a ton of work to be done.

Welcome back!! Glad you're starting to feel better. :hugs: I am willing to bet your garden looks a thousand times better than mine even without tending. LOL Sometimes things grow better without all that fussing about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmwinge (Post 15501387)
When I was out picking my zillion tomatoes, I checked on my 2 pumpkins. The borers are getting at the zines closer to the plant end but the vine ends are still looking good. I'm just hoping that there is enough of the vine left that my 2 little babies make it. I've never had luck with pumpkins, so I thought I would give it one more shot. I'm not doing any more vines next year. My cukes stink, I had to pull my zucchini, my watermelon and cantaloupe never grew and not the pumpkin is getting eaten :(

Oh no! If the pumpkins have firmed up they'll still ripen if the vine dies. If they are still soft they might not. FX for you! I planted tons of pumpkins and again nothing is doing as well as the pie pumpkins. I planted a short season type to see if I could get some jack o lanterns grown for my boys. They're going to be bummed if nothing makes it. Their white pumpkin vine got 2 baseball sized pumpkins that haven't grown at all.

sarahannecloud9 08-05-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookglen (Post 15500080)

:thumbsup: Great to have you back. So happy to see you feeling better!!
Just have fun with the garden this year moma. Pregnancy can be so tough. :hugs:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs (Post 15500842)
Hey ladies, how are your snap bean crops doing? I know a lot of us have had heat and when I search the specific issues I'm having with my crops I find that it all points to too-high temps. My bean plants have deeply grooved dark and curled leaves, blossom drop and what beans do set are small and curved into a perfect "c" shape. The only beans I'm getting perfect lovely beans from are the bush beans. I can't complain about them. They are pretty and the beans are huge. But I won't get the same crop from them as the pole (runner) beans. It stinks. :( Is anyone else having trouble? Last year I had beans coming out my ears... maybe it was a cooler year?

I was haveing the same problem with my beans. I pulled most and replanted.Now the ones i left are kicking butt with all new growth and big crops. Who would have thought those things had any hope. :( We have had rain again and they are produceing so much I'm picking daily. My poles aren't doing so hot. They are growing like mad, just no blooms. I think the prob was the heat and fluctuation is water. No with all this water, my mater are all splitting. I'm bringing them in to ripen as soon as I see them start to split. Then I blanch and freeze till I have enough to do preserves or whatever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmwinge (Post 15501387)

Those dag-nab borers got the rest of the plants I saved in the main garden from the mildew. Ugh! I feel your pain. The dang mildew get's me almost every year. That's why I'm so anal about keeping foilage thinned and off the ground. Next year I'm doing climbing! DH can just give it up, I'm useing that fence!

:hugs:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs (Post 15501717)
that is a giant cuke! :jawdrop: Aw, I'm sorry about your corn. :( I wonder if it was wind.. I have had mine look like that after a wind storm. I have a bunch of seeds I'm gonna send you and some of them are short season corn varieties. Don't have as big an ear but they are still tasty. :) They also stay short, around 4-5 foot tall. It gets too hot, too fast here.

Thanks, I thought it was a cute pic, lol! I bet the wind is getting it. I should do closer rows next year. I'd love to try a shorter crop. I bet it would do well here. That's really sweet of you! The corn I was growing was some sort of sweet silver? I was excited to try it. I over planted to help with the girls this winter. I don't think it will have enough time? Fall is already showing slight signs of an early show.

I posted this in another thread about what I was up to. :) Just coppied it:

I've also been catching up on the garden. I have to move all of the onions. We decided to change the direction of the rows next spring because of the way the heavy rains flow. I need a perminent spot for my winter/green onions and garlic.
Hey, I did get in the rest of the fall broc, cauli, cabbage, carrot, and beat seeds.
I'm gonna wait a bit before I put in the fall greens. I went ahead and saved the onions for next years planting because they just didn't get big enough. I'm super worried my warm weather crops won't reach full peak before the cold sets in. This am is kinda chilly again. it was 59 a cpl days ago. Fall early? Sooo worried.

I think I have a man that is gonna trade me some pullets for the white, black tailed Japanese bantams I have. I really don't want any of the small breeds again. Oh, all the boys, even the littles, are trying to breed the girls! I wish I had had my camera! The little bantam twin was trying to mount my huge australorp! Now I have been trying to explain this one to Cayden, haha. We called it a kiss at first, that didn't work for long.

3lilbubs 08-05-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 (Post 15501975)
:thumbsup: Great to have you back. So happy to see you feeling better!!
Just have fun with the garden this year moma. Pregnancy can be so tough. :hugs:

I was haveing the same problem with my beans. I pulled most and replanted.Now the ones i left are kicking butt with all new growth and big crops. Who would have thought those things had any hope. :( We have had rain again and they are produceing so much I'm picking daily. My poles aren't doing so hot. They are growing like mad, just no blooms. I think the prob was the heat and fluctuation is water. No with all this water, my mater are all splitting. I'm bringing them in to ripen as soon as I see them start to split. Then I blanch and freeze till I have enough to do preserves or whatever.

I think you nailed it right there, too many fluctuations this year. This has been a really poor gardening year for me. :( I have not had much to put up for the winter at all. My tomatoes are splitting too... I need to get out and pick again later today.

Those dag-nab borers got the rest of the plants I saved in the main garden from the mildew. Ugh! I feel your pain. The dang mildew get's me almost every year. That's why I'm so anal about keeping foilage thinned and off the ground. Next year I'm doing climbing! DH can just give it up, I'm useing that fence!

:hugs:

Thanks, I thought it was a cute pic, lol! I bet the wind is getting it. I should do closer rows next year. I'd love to try a shorter crop. I bet it would do well here. That's really sweet of you! The corn I was growing was some sort of sweet silver? I was excited to try it. I over planted to help with the girls this winter. I don't think it will have enough time? Fall is already showing slight signs of an early show.

Yeah I think esp with your location you're going to need a cool soil friendly crop with a shorter maturity date. You prob. planted silver queen, same as me. :) It likes warm nights though so if it's been getting unseasonably cool that's why it's not taking off. The forecast so far is for a el NINO year which typically means very cold, very wet winter for us. When a NINO year hits we can count on winter two weeks early and snows either mid-nov or early Dec. Any other year we get just a few flurries in january and february with steady cool temps. I hadn't planned on planting fall crops for a couple weeks but upon reading that forecast a couple days ago I'm starting to plant and start seedlings indoors now.

I posted this in another thread about what I was up to. :) Just coppied it:

I've also been catching up on the garden. I have to move all of the onions. We decided to change the direction of the rows next spring because of the way the heavy rains flow. I need a perminent spot for my winter/green onions and garlic.
Hey, I did get in the rest of the fall broc, cauli, cabbage, carrot, and beat seeds.
I'm gonna wait a bit before I put in the fall greens. I went ahead and saved the onions for next years planting because they just didn't get big enough. I'm super worried my warm weather crops won't reach full peak before the cold sets in. This am is kinda chilly again. it was 59 a cpl days ago. Fall early? Sooo worried.

I think I have a man that is gonna trade me some pullets for the white, black tailed Japanese bantams I have. I really don't want any of the small breeds again. Oh, all the boys, even the littles, are trying to breed the girls! I wish I had had my camera! The little bantam twin was trying to mount my huge australorp! Now I have been trying to explain this one to Cayden, haha. We called it a kiss at first, that didn't work for long.

LOL, I had to finally give in and do a little birds and the bees speech with the boys the other day. I think Connor knows more than he lets on. He's almost 10 so I think that's normal. Danny says "whys he dancin' on them!" :giggle2: Good thing I only have one roo! I only have little red salad onions in the ground now, I hope they make it to harvest! Did you see that seed savers had trouble with their crops? I was going to order onion and garlic from them but I'm not sure now.