Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   minimalist newborn? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427745)

doulamomma 08-03-2012 05:10 PM

minimalist newborn?

what is your minimalist list of things needed for a newborn. cloth diapered, breastfed, babywearing. im wondering mostly about clothes, blankets, etc. thanks!

Sent from my droid using DS Forum

elizabeth.scalf 08-03-2012 06:59 PM

Re: minimalist newborn?

I'm due in another month and don't know what I'm having yet. I have TONS of girl stuff, but not a lick of blue. I'm going to pick up just enough to get by if it ends up a boy, and this is pretty much what I plan

10 onesies
4-6 footy pajamas
2 sleep sacks
1-2 hats
bag of socks (double as mittens)
3 cute outfits
2-3 blankets
30 fitted diapers
3 wool covers
2 PUL covers

These are things I'm not picking up and why
Burp cloths - I'll use extra prefolds
Nursing shirts - I have 4 nursing tanks, and will wear stretchy v-Necks that I can just pull down
Boppy - A regular pillow is fine
Nursing cover - a regular blanket is fine
I've only ever used the Moby for newborns, so I've donated all my slings and other carriers and just plan on having two Mobys.

I know people go nuts buying clothes for new babies which is why I'm not sweating having more clothes ready for him. I also have two older kids, so I know I'll be doing laundry often anyway, so I really only need enough to get through about 48 hours.

Melinda29 08-03-2012 07:27 PM

10 outfits per size (footed sleepers for newborns)
10 onesies to wear underneath if baby will be <6 months old during winter
4 swaddle-sized blankets
2 large sleep sacks
36 small trifold diapers
24 large trifold diapers
10 OS covers

And then the other baby stuff like:
Place to sleep (crib, bassinet, whatever)
wool mattress pad
2 crib sheets
4 burp cloths to go under baby while sleeping--fewer sheet changes
Carseat
Boppy and nursing cover have been essential for me

doulamomma 08-03-2012 08:55 PM

Oh, I hadn't really thought about the fact that I will be doing laundry everyday for the rest of us anyways. a boppy is a must have for me, but we already have one. I don't use a nursing cover. I have had three girls, so tons of girl stuff. Just tring to figure out if I have enough gn clothing.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum

Talia01 08-03-2012 09:48 PM

I just did this with ds2 born late April :)

6 footed sleepers
1 hat
3 long sleeved onesies
3 short sleeved onesies
1 hoodie
2 pairs of pants
3 socks
1pair of padraig slippers

Dipes:
12 bg xs aio
12 bummis nb prefolds
3 bummis nb covers
24 wipes
2 wetbags (1 lg,1sm)
Wipes warmer (not needed but I love ours)

Misc:
2 A & A muslin blankets -use these for everything!
Car seat
Maya wrap
Ergo
6 pairs of cloth nursing pads
1 nursing bra (handwash at night, another one would be nice!)
2 sleeper style nursing bras
2 nursing tanks (1 blk,1wht)
Breast pump for occasional bottle
1 bottle
Milk freezer bags
1 baby wrapper towel
4 wash cloths
1 heavy baby blanket

This has worked out really well for us and we don't feel as over run with baby gear as we did with our first son.

pgkcb13 08-04-2012 04:32 AM

These are some great lists! I'm willing to bet we'll have another girl and won't need much, though we will need to pick up a few sleepers and what not since the clothes we had were mostly hand me downs that'd been through 2 or three kids before my two and are pretty trashed by the time DD2 outgrows them.

For us the essentials are:
Sleepers (footed are the best, no need for socks)
Hat
Diapers (we use BG elementals)
Ergo
Nursing pillow (mostly for the first couple months)
Safe place to set baby when necessary (we have an old vibey seat that we took all the toys and electronics off of so that it's just a baby papasan chair)
Blankets (I really like flannel, even in summer...)
Car seat (obviously)

We have more than this because we bought it all with DD1 not knowing any better. We've weeded a ton out and will do more before baby #3 comes

We don't use:
diaper bag
stroller
nursing cover
swing/excersaucer/play pen, etc
crib and accoutrements

hibiscus869 08-04-2012 04:40 PM

I can tell you what we DIDN'T need:

A crib. Ended up co-sleeping. (Fortunately we didn't buy one, we borrowed one from my brother).
A swing. It was useful a few times but really at the end of the day my babies were ALL about being the Sleepy Wrap and later the Ergo. So that was wasted money.
A high chair. My children totally preferred sitting up to the counter or table in a junior chair or the Learning Tower. (Fortunately we had borrowed the high chair also, so no money lost there).
A stroller. Like I say my kids were all about the carrier.
Burp cloths. Guess I got lucky, neither one were big spit-uppers.
Bibs- refused to wear them.
Pacifiers- would never take them.
Teething toys- never wanted them.
Jumperoo- never liked it much.

Really I think all I needed that first year was the Sleepy Wrap and Ergo, a Nose Frida, our Baby Bjorn Bouncer, Sleep Sack, some footie sleepers, a couple of blankets, and a fleece bunting.

P!nkPepper 08-04-2012 06:33 PM

We didn't need a cradle but we loved having the Rock & Play sleeper. My baby that hates co-sleeping :cry: slept in that sleeper til 6 months. We only retired it because he kept trying to roll over & out of it.

Jodie ~ wife & mama

lalaith 09-06-2012 03:08 PM

6 onsies
6 infant gowns
6 socks
1-2 dozen receiving blankets
2-4 swaddlers - swaddleme, woombie, a+a, whatever
Stretchy wrap
3 dozen newborn diapers
Cosleeper (even though he's usually in bed with me, it's been wonderful to have)
A convertible carseat (we skipped the infant bucket and never missed it)

For us a swing was a necessity, but we had health problems that prevented babywearing, and it was the only thing that would get him to sleep. At 5 months, we still use it on bad days.

Nursing pillows didn't work for us (I'm VERY large busted) and neither would any hats fit him. We like receiving blankets as burp cloths, since the prefolds took forever to dry, but flats would work too. Nursing covers and shirts were a waste of money as well. We have a small pump which was great in the early days before I could nurse out of the house, and it still gets pulled out occasionally.

Once past the newborn phase I would add a dozen teething bibs, a Sophie teether, a bouncer, and some kind of high chair once they can sit up on their own so theycan be at the table with you, even of they aren't in solids yet.

hezdwoody 09-06-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgkcb13 (Post 15498024)
These are some great lists! I'm willing to bet we'll have another girl and won't need much, though we will need to pick up a few sleepers and what not since the clothes we had were mostly hand me downs that'd been through 2 or three kids before my two and are pretty trashed by the time DD2 outgrows them.

For us the essentials are:
Sleepers (footed are the best, no need for socks)
Hat
Diapers (we use BG elementals)
Ergo
Nursing pillow (mostly for the first couple months)
Safe place to set baby when necessary (we have an old vibey seat that we took all the toys and electronics off of so that it's just a baby papasan chair)
Blankets (I really like flannel, even in summer...)
Car seat (obviously)

We have more than this because we bought it all with DD1 not knowing any better. We've weeded a ton out and will do more before baby #3 comes

We don't use:
diaper bag
stroller
nursing cover
swing/excersaucer/play pen, etc
crib and accoutrements

This sounds a lot like my list except I dont have a nursing pillow. The baby boucy chair is my only baby gear thing I feel like I need. I have a pack and play bassinet but its pretty much just storage pushed up against the bed so I can change a diaper in the middle of the night if need be.

I LOVE how scaling back and not creating a nursery and shopping like crazy for this baby has really allowed me to enjoy him. I wish I would have been more minimalist minded with my DD and not wasted those precious hours of her life constantly trying to organize and reorganize tons of hand me down baby items.