Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   After 7 months with a nipple shield... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428248)

Belbaby3728 08-05-2012 07:53 AM

After 7 months with a nipple shield...

We have been shield free for over 48 hours!! Knock on wood :) Came home from work Friday and told DH I was determined to have her off the shield by the time I go back to work Thursday. It has gone way better than expected and better than any previous attempts. I truly think the timing was just right! Dd is doing so well and I am beyond happy!

I know there are some other mamas on her who are in same boat as me with trying to get shield out so I just wanted to say stick with it! I would try for a bit and when dd/myself got frustrated I would stop and come back to trying another time. Learned fast that getting frustrated helped nothing.

I have everything crossed that we keep going forward and do not need to use the shield ever again!

Mom2jandb 08-05-2012 10:50 AM

Great news!!

Only 08-05-2012 11:14 AM

I'm in your former boat with the shield. It was good reading this! My daughter will be six weeks in a few days and I worry she will never be off it.

Belbaby3728 08-05-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugstrees
I'm in your former boat with the shield. It was good reading this! My daughter will be six weeks in a few days and I worry she will never be off it.

I worried this forever and am praying we are good to go. I was especially getting worried because I expect teeth to be coming soon and feared with shield she'd bite me because latch is so different.

I don't know if you've had a good LC come help you but I did around 4 months old and it helped to hear that she was capable of latching without shield and to keep at it. She also told me what a great job I was doing.

dawnp15 08-05-2012 12:20 PM

Re: After 7 months with a nipple shield...

Great job mama!! We too used a shield, we finally weaned off it around 6-7 weeks. I had had enough of it by then so i give you mucho credit for going 7 months strong!!!

Belbaby3728 08-05-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnp15 (Post 15502903)
Great job mama!! We too used a shield, we finally weaned off it around 6-7 weeks. I had had enough of it by then so i give you mucho credit for going 7 months strong!!!

Thanks! We tried hard time after time to get off it but never had success until now :)

ktbug87 08-05-2012 10:27 PM

DS has been using a shield for 6 months and started weaning himself off a week ago. I am SO happy that we are almost completely done with it.

KatrinaLoves 08-06-2012 12:43 AM

Yay! Man, props to you for sticking it out.
My DSs are almost 11 weeks old and they're just now starting to nurse without shields. We still frequently need one for one of the twins,and it's immensely frustrating. Your experience is definitely encouraging!
Again... Yay!

Only 08-06-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belbaby3728

I worried this forever and am praying we are good to go. I was especially getting worried because I expect teeth to be coming soon and feared with shield she'd bite me because latch is so different.

I don't know if you've had a good LC come help you but I did around 4 months old and it helped to hear that she was capable of latching without shield and to keep at it. She also told me what a great job I was doing.

I'm actually going to see a great LC who's been a huge help this week. Hopefully we can start weaning off the shield because it's a HUGE pain. I'd love to be able to pop her on without hunting down the shield.

GodLover 08-07-2012 11:21 AM

YAY!! we started with a nipple shield too was happy when DS weaned off it.