Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Theowing up from allergy... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428431)

mrseum 08-05-2012 05:12 PM

Theowing up from allergy...

Ds2 is screaming & trying not to be sick- but I'm sure he will be soon. He was exposed in the nursery- kids had honey nut cheerios & there was spilt milk... He must have ingested something- he's had no fever? Is there something I can do??

Sha-nanagins 08-06-2012 12:30 PM

Re: Theowing up from allergy...

He wouldn't have a fever from an allergic reaction. Since reactions can progress quickly to something serious, I would call his doctor's emergency after hours number and find out what they recommend.

With my own food allergic kids, if there were no symptoms to indicate possible anaphylactic shock (breathing difficulty, wheezing, facial/mouth swelling - call 911 or rush to the ER if you live close by), I would give Benadryl for the reaction, followed by Colic Calm (activated charcoal) a half hour or so later to help easy tummy distress, then watch like a hawk for the next 6 -8 hours to make sure no serious reaction occurs.

cristy_1996 08-06-2012 04:20 PM

Why do you think it is an allergic reaction???

sojomisa 08-06-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristy_1996 (Post 15508849)

:yeahthat:

If it were an allergy, I would expect other symptoms as well. DD2 has a peanut/tree nut allergy. She can be around peanuts/peanut butter all day long and nothing. Walnuts however it's a whole nother ball game. Her eyes will swell and itch and she will start to wheeze terribly. That's just the airborne reaction.

jbug_4 08-06-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristy_1996 (Post 15508849)

He has lots of food allergies including milk.

How's he doing now? I wasn't sure what to do for allergic vomiting. I wasn't sure if benedryl would work or not, but that would be pretty much all I know of. DD has never had vomiting from hers. What did you do? And is he feeling better?

mrseum 08-06-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins
He wouldn't have a fever from an allergic reaction. Since reactions can progress quickly to something serious, I would call his doctor's emergency after hours number and find out what they recommend.

With my own food allergic kids, if there were no symptoms to indicate possible anaphylactic shock (breathing difficulty, wheezing, facial/mouth swelling - call 911 or rush to the ER if you live close by), I would give Benadryl for the reaction, followed by Colic Calm (activated charcoal) a half hour or so later to help easy tummy distress, then watch like a hawk for the next 6 -8 hours to make sure no serious reaction occurs.

Thanks! I had given him some colic calm- & he never did get sick, there where a few instances when his reflux was so bad I thought he would. Also- I've been reading advice that says if a child has ingested an allergen NOT to give benadryl right away because it could mask symptoms & turn dangerous quickly.., do idk!

mrseum 08-06-2012 07:16 PM

He does have multiple food allergies. :/ he actually was ok... He screamed out of discomfort from it irritating his reflux (always worse when he's exposed) but after some colic calm he was ok.
When his insurance is back in order soon I'm schedule in another appt. for him at the allergist. I hate seek g him in pain! And since he has so many allergens- there are a lot of run-ins that are a bit unavoidable- like the church nursery; ect.
He's ok breathing around nuts, but if someone kisses him after Ewing a dairy product he'll break out in hives. :/

mrseum 08-06-2012 07:18 PM

Sorry for errors- posing from iPhone!

sojomisa 08-06-2012 07:36 PM

Aw, I'm sorry. Sounds like he's miserable when exposed. Do they know he's allergic? I would see if milk could be skipped when he's there.

mrseum 08-06-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sojomisa
Aw, I'm sorry. Sounds like he's miserable when exposed. Do they know he's allergic? I would see if milk could be skipped when he's there.

They know. The milk was actually formula... They really can't not be able to give other babies formula- you know?? I suppose I could start providing snacks so that he's not exposed on that level... But we attend a Korean church. He's allergic to soy- and there is ALWAYS some form of soy served. So surfaces are contaminated no matter what! It is absolutely rotten! :( I need to get him better reflux meds, and on something to help his allergies. He always has extremely itchy skin (can wake him at night) and exema patches... Not to mention in fairly certain he has environmental allergies to because of the way he can sneeze (8 or so times in a row) & the mucous. Hah!