Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need book ideas.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428479)

doodah 08-05-2012 07:24 PM

Need book ideas....

Looking to start reading chapter books to my two older daughters. They are 3 and 4 but definitely ready for something besides preschooler story books.

I'd like to have some ideas for books or book series that might be a good fit for us. I was going to start with Little House on the Prairie books.

Keep in mind that these girls are 3 and 4! We dont want anything that has what we view as inappropriate themes.....love interests, scary or dark themes, magic outside of just a general fairy tale type magic, characters with mean actions towards others or rough language, etc.

LittleLifeSize 08-05-2012 10:23 PM

Re: Need book ideas....

Little House on the Prairie is what I would recommend. Some of the American Girl books (but I really think thats more for 7yrs+). Judy Blume my niece started at 5, Magic Tree House? Romano Quimby series.

jjgammon 08-05-2012 10:44 PM

I ran across some classics in a 97c bin at Walmart a while back that have been slightly condensed and illustrated with a full page picture every 2 or 3 pages. We got Peter Pan, The Secret Garden, and Dr Doolittle. I started reading Peter Pan to DD right before her 4th birthday and she was really loving it, but then we lost it. This reminds me to go hunting for it under some beds... With school starting back I really need to get back to reading to her every day.

LittleLifeSize 08-06-2012 10:45 PM

Junie B Jones is a good series, especially for girls, and is written from the prospective of a 6 year old girl.

L&MsMamma 08-06-2012 11:18 PM

Heidi? I haven't read it in a long time but I remember my mom reading or to me when I was pretty young.

5PrincessMommy 08-07-2012 02:48 AM

how about Charlotte's Web? Then you can watch the movie as a "treat" after you finish the book. My Kindergarten students always love that. They'll even pick up differences and say "hey! that's not how it goes!" etc

mommabritt 08-07-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy
how about Charlotte's Web? Then you can watch the movie as a "treat" after you finish the book. My Kindergarten students always love that. They'll even pick up differences and say "hey! that's not how it goes!" etc

This is a great idea!

danielle 08-07-2012 06:16 AM

Have you read them any Beatrix Potter? I know Peter Rabbit comes to mind (which is also a good story) but many of her books are a bit complicated and have interesting themes. Mr. Tod, for instance, is quite long and involves trickery and just a bit of nastiness. I see some of her longer books as a halfway point between picture and chapter books. My almost four year old is always up for one of the Potter books.

Liadan23 08-07-2012 01:24 PM

A Little Princess is the only one on my on my list to read to dd when she's old enough that hasn't been mentioned :) ok, ok, i know, she's only 2 months right now. i like reading.... :) Little House on the Prairie is on my list too. Those were some of my favorites as a kid!

mariegal 08-07-2012 08:46 PM

What about:
Frog and Toad
Amelia Bedelia
Flat Stanley
Little Bear
Little House on the Prairie has a "little" version for younger readers