Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Looking for ideas to improve EC w/ 15mo DD (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428549)

BeccaSueCongdon 08-05-2012 11:16 PM

Looking for ideas to improve EC w/ 15mo DD

I haven't been able to full-time EC with my DD bc her older brother has special needs, but she's definitely trying to communicate with me! She will come demand my attention BEFORE eliminating (pee and poop) and then will fuss/whine until I change her. On good days it registers to my brain that she's trying to EC, but on difficult days with my son I just don't get it until she's already really worked up. :-(. The poor little lady has really been a perfect little EC baby, and I'd love to improve my awareness and have some practical things in place for helping her and o communicate and helping her access the potty. She can sit and stand from one on her own and does several times a day (when I and DS do). We do have some naked bottom time every day, but maybe I could time it better?

What sorts of bottoms could I have on her that would catch solids or pee but keep it from puddling? I know seeing that she's wet would help me respond faster. I'm good about seeing when she has pooped (or is pooping).

How do I respond when she is pooping? She seems to just want my presence but not to be touched or moved (like to remove the diaper or change location).

How do you keep little naked bottoms from getting floor fuzzies or dirt?

Thanks!

BeccaSueCongdon 08-09-2012 01:31 AM

Bump!

shen7 08-09-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
I haven't been able to full-time EC with my DD bc her older brother has special needs, but she's definitely trying to communicate with me! She will come demand my attention BEFORE eliminating (pee and poop) and then will fuss/whine until I change her. On good days it registers to my brain that she's trying to EC, but on difficult days with my son I just don't get it until she's already really worked up. :-(. The poor little lady has really been a perfect little EC baby, and I'd love to improve my awareness and have some practical things in place for helping her and o communicate and helping her access the potty. She can sit and stand from one on her own and does several times a day (when I and DS do). We do have some naked bottom time every day, but maybe I could time it better?

What sorts of bottoms could I have on her that would catch solids or pee but keep it from puddling? I know seeing that she's wet would help me respond faster. I'm good about seeing when she has pooped (or is pooping).

How do I respond when she is pooping? She seems to just want my presence but not to be touched or moved (like to remove the diaper or change location).

How do you keep little naked bottoms from getting floor fuzzies or dirt?

Thanks!

I think about timing/offering the potty, it is important to be consistent with whatever you do so she can learn the pattern, both biorhythmically and mentally! After meals and naps, every hour, whatever!

I think fitteds like Motherease Sandys are perfect for preventing puddles, but it is still obvious when they have gone! They are affordable compared to many fitteds too. We use them a lot. They even pull up and down pretty easily.

When she's pooping, talk to her about it. Narrate everything that's happening! Talk about the potty, ask if she feels better getting that out, etc. :)

If they are naked, they will get dirt etc on the butt when they sit down. That's life :) you can try getting her to sit on a towel or prefold but I know it wouldn't work with my 14 month old lol.

flowergirls 08-17-2012 04:00 PM

Re: Looking for ideas to improve EC w/ 15mo DD

I have three kids, and doing EC with the last one, I found really challenging. We are still ECing, she is just 10 1/2 months at this point. And although it's challenging, I can't imagine it's anywhere near as much work as what you are doing. So, first of all, it sounds like you are doing an amazing job and keep it up!
Secondly, I found what worked for us was using G Diapers. It wasn't as labor intensive as using cloth diapers (also, we were plagued by a yeast diaper rash, and the only thing that worked was g diapers), but you still had an indication right away that she went. And it's a diaper, so it catches everything. There are probably other great products out there, but at least for us, the g diapers work really well.
Good luck!

mamaspice 08-17-2012 05:07 PM

We are switching to Hanna Andersson training unders part time to help me pay better attention to dd's signals! Naked stresses me out and she doesn't signal that well with no bottoms on. But I get lazy with waterproof diapers.

They are new and in the wash so I will report back, but they look like they are going to hold one pee or so. They are also colored so I think I will be able to tell immediately when they are wet. We will also probably try some Gerbers for comparison.

One step up in absorbency would be fitteds with no covers- we do that a lot too with GMD Workhorses but I have to feel to know they are wet because they are white and very absorbent. Lots of people love Motherease Sandy's for teaching to pull up and down. They are available in colors too.

ETA: We also have a pair of trainers from Mothergoose Designs that are quite nice- side snapping and with a stuffable pocket. More expensive than the Hannas but more absorbent and the side snaps are nice For any poo mishaps!

We are also teaching sign language for "potty" so I think that will help when dd catches on. She has copies it a few times but not used it to request the potty yet.

BeccaSueCongdon 08-17-2012 05:42 PM

I'd love to see photos of your hannas when they're out of the wash. :-)

mamaspice 08-17-2012 11:37 PM

Well, I have a photo but I can't get it to post. I will try again later though!

They are really cute- they look like little boy cut briefs but in girly colors. Looked at some Gerbers at the store today and these are much better quality from what I can tell. HTH

BeccaSueCongdon 08-18-2012 12:35 PM

That's okay! I found them on the website. :-)

BeccaSueCongdon 08-18-2012 12:52 PM

Let me know how they compare to the gerbers, too!

mamaspice 08-18-2012 03:20 PM

Well, I can report that they hold exactly one pee! :) Wet but no puddles. We had some trainer time this am. I need to do it when I can really do some observation though- tried to mulitask too much and missed a couple of pees.

What I didn't like about the Gerbers is that thay have polyester fiberfill in the padded part- feels like quilt batting- and they call it an absorbent innerlining. I didn't buy them so I can't report on absorbency.

The Hannas are just extra layers of cotton in the wet zone. Very thick and good quality.