Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Great Lakes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Detroit Metro Mamas: I need your help!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428618)

breefawn 08-06-2012 08:15 AM

Detroit Metro Mamas: I need your help!!

Hi! Hubby took a job in Mt. Clemens and I need some recommendations!! Where to live (renting 3 BR), good OB/GYN, mama groups? Found a ped, but am having trouble with the rest. We'll be moving up from Texas mid-October. TIA!!!

cbreeding 08-13-2012 07:16 AM

Re: Detroit Metro Mamas: I need your help!!

For mama groups check out meetup.com or playgroupsusa.com. Places to live is dependent on how close your DH wants to live to work. The traffic can be a pain. North and East of Mt. Clemens is probably nicer but for the most part the 10 mile radius surrounding Mt. Clemens is decent.

breefawn 08-13-2012 07:32 AM

Thank you :thumbsup: I will look into a meetup or Facebook group!

AlexsMom2011 08-14-2012 07:46 AM

I'm in Roseville, which is a few miles down Gratiot from Mt Clemens. It is a decent area as long as you stay north of 11 Mile. But there are a TON of rentals in Roseville. Police and fire response are great, we still have our own ;p. Mt Clemens does not have their own police force any more. They are patrolled by Macomb County and State Troopers.

breefawn 08-14-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexsMom2011 (Post 15541758)
I'm in Roseville, which is a few miles down Gratiot from Mt Clemens. It is a decent area as long as you stay north of 11 Mile. But there are a TON of rentals in Roseville. Police and fire response are great, we still have our own ;p. Mt Clemens does not have their own police force any more. They are patrolled by Macomb County and State Troopers.

Thank you! He said that he'll be working part time between there are Troy (??) would the drive be terrible? And are the rentals reasonable? I'm trying really hard to stay around 800-900/month. I really, really want to use the next 18 months to ferociously attack our debt and build our savings :thumbsup:

AlexsMom2011 08-15-2012 05:54 PM

I used to work in Troy. It's about a 20-35 minute commute depending on rush hour traffic. The rentals depending on what size you want are pretty reasonable. I think the average is about 800-900 for a 3BR house. (not real sure since I own mine, but have been looking jnto renting it so I have an idea of what the ones around me SHOULD go for)
If/when you move over here we could start a mommy group, as I can't seem to find one around here.. They are all way out in the burbs :(

breefawn 08-15-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexsMom2011 (Post 15549214)
I used to work in Troy. It's about a 20-35 minute commute depending on rush hour traffic. The rentals depending on what size you want are pretty reasonable. I think the average is about 800-900 for a 3BR house. (not real sure since I own mine, but have been looking jnto renting it so I have an idea of what the ones around me SHOULD go for)
If/when you move over here we could start a mommy group, as I can't seem to find one around here.. They are all way out in the burbs :(

I would LOVE that!! I actually am a leader of a great mommy group down here, and we could have a great time! :thumbsup: Any areas I should stay away from?

AlexsMom2011 08-15-2012 07:55 PM

Rental wise? The 15 mile and Gratiot area is not that great, like I said before a lot of Mt Clemens is run down closer to Gratiot and Groesbeck. Most areas of Roseville are good, but I recommend north of 11 mile, just because I live south of it and it has gone down since I moved here,BUT there are a TON of rental in my neighborhood too. And there are really nice looking pockets over here too, I guess it just depends on which street. Lol.
PM me and I can give you more specifics. I just don't want to put my entire location out there,lol.
St Clair Shores is pretty nice too. Parts of Warren are nice.