Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   If not canning, what else can I do with a ton of garden tomatoes! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428717)

Mummandherboys 08-06-2012 11:52 AM

If not canning, what else can I do with a ton of garden tomatoes!

My kids all enjoy eating them as they are (the cherry/grape tomato ones) but now we have larger ones and medium sized ones as well as the small ones, from our garden. We do have a vitamix and so I know I can do things with them...but I am lost to start! What can I do with them before they all go bad on me??
Thanks so much for any ideas!! :)

MeCo7707 08-06-2012 12:09 PM

Re: If not canning, what else can I do with a ton of garden tomatoes!

My kids love them dried, I dry them out then vacuum seal them and put them in the freezer, use them in soups/chili/smoothies and for snacks.

vjbakke 08-06-2012 01:30 PM

Blanch and freeze them, then in the future you can plan and make sauces and more. Also dehydrating is a good thing to if you have a dehydrator.

jbug_4 08-06-2012 02:04 PM

soup, salsa- I love fresh salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, tomato juice, V-8 style juice :yuck:. Dh loves V8, I think its one of most disgusting things ever made. home made ketchup, chili, bruschetta, tomato and cucumber salad, thats all I can think of right now. I love tomatoes- hate tomato soup, juice and v8 but LOVE pretty much all other tomato products.

Only 08-06-2012 03:39 PM

Mmm, homemade salsa!

MeCo7707 08-06-2012 03:42 PM

you should be able to dehydrate in your oven right? I do it to onions and peppers all the time...although I don't know if you want your oven on all day in this kind of heat

li'l skeeter 08-06-2012 04:36 PM

Our new favorite: rough chop 'em, place on baking sheet, drizzle with a little olive oil, and bake in oven on low (250 F) until all the juices are mostly evaporated, turn off oven and leave sit over night. Puree 'em up in the food processor with some fresh basil, garlic, etc. and use as a pizza sauce, campfire puggie pies, or mix in with spag. sauce

CMamma 08-07-2012 06:31 PM

I made a bunch of different pickled items today & put some toms in with them. Something a little different :)

Hands&Fire Pottery 08-07-2012 08:18 PM

Creamed tomatoes on toast

Mummandherboys 08-08-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeCo7707 (Post 15508683)
you should be able to dehydrate in your oven right? I do it to onions and peppers all the time...although I don't know if you want your oven on all day in this kind of heat

I have heard of doing this...but don't have the first clue on how to...:headscratch: tell me more please :)

Thanks for all the ideas ladies! I love the idea of somehow freezing them for later use for spagetti and pizza sauces...but am not sure how to do this?? This is our first time growing them ourselves. Thank you again! :)