Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Diaper stashes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428831)

Sarah7464 08-06-2012 03:14 PM

Diaper stashes?

Have you started one yet? What do you have or do you plan on buying for your new arrival(s)? I sold all of my daughters newborn dipes to fund bigger ones so I'm in need of a newborn stash. I'm thinking I'll be doing prefolds and covers because that's all i'll be able to afford for two! Any insight as to how many pf's and covers I'll need for twins?

Green Decals 08-06-2012 03:26 PM

Re: Diaper stashes?

I have my stash from my older kids, plus what has been added here and there since... I love the Thirsties Duo covers, they worked better for us than the sized covers, and prefolds or flats. I recommend 24-36 prefolds and 5-6 covers per baby, washing every 2-3 days. For twins I would get newborn or even preemie prefolds, then infant, because they will likely start out tiny. That is another reason why I like the Duos covers - they actually fit tiny babies better than the XS.

almostcrunchy 08-06-2012 03:58 PM

Well, I sew all the newborn dipes (very baby AIO's) for my little ones but I haven't even started on them yet since I want to have a gender-specific newborn stash :giggle:

I've never had two in diapers at the same time, so this will be a first! I think after the newborn phase then I will just have the two diapered kiddos share a stash (we use freetime AIO's) obviously I will have to add to it a bit.

Sarahknavy 08-06-2012 06:59 PM

We use all prefolds and covers with a few emergency flats and 3 pockets for baby sitters. I still have everything from my son but I am going to see off all my thirsties and get blueberry mini/ coveralls instead. The thirsties velcro is crapping out after just one kid(on the MED). So... we are looking into other options. I agree that duos fit the best on little bitties.

I am new at sewing. Super super new. I am going to start making some fleece covers to fill in the gaps. I also hope they work better over the cord. We used disposables with Isaac until the cord fell off because the PUL covers just rubbed too much.

We had 24 diapers for my son and washed every day... so I say min of 48 for twins. I think we had 8 covers. I would stick with that and wash daily until they move up in size. It took about three weeks to get to 9lbs when we started using smalls instead of newborn.

Hunny Bunny Baby 08-06-2012 07:07 PM

I have already done my newborn diaper stash...I had gotten rid of everything since Gabby was supposed to be my last. I did 12 aio's, 36 fitteds & 12 prefolds & covers for nights. We use mostly wool so I have tons to knit still.

I would think with twins if you washed daily...which you likely will since the pail will fill up fast, you could get away with 48 prefolds & 8 covers

Green Decals 08-06-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahknavy (Post 15509500)
We use all prefolds and covers with a few emergency flats and 3 pockets for baby sitters. I still have everything from my son but I am going to see off all my thirsties and get blueberry mini/ coveralls instead. The thirsties velcro is crapping out after just one kid(on the MED). So... we are looking into other options. I agree that duos fit the best on little bitties.

I am new at sewing. Super super new. I am going to start making some fleece covers to fill in the gaps. I also hope they work better over the cord. We used disposables with Isaac until the cord fell off because the PUL covers just rubbed too much.

We had 24 diapers for my son and washed every day... so I say min of 48 for twins. I think we had 8 covers. I would stick with that and wash daily until they move up in size. It took about three weeks to get to 9lbs when we started using smalls instead of newborn.

Yup, Thirsties aplix is crappy. I had 6 covers that the aplix went on, all of them were size 2, and considering they were only used for 1 kid, with a LOT of wool covers too, and he PLed at 17 months... Not impressed. I actually contacted Thirsties about it and they offered to replace them, but I forgot about it because he PLed so soon and it is way too late now. I think they were used for about 6 months total, in huge rotation. No huge deal, I will just do snap conversions as best I can, but I will never buy another aplix cover.

MommyMeads 08-06-2012 09:49 PM

I have a few fitted diapers left over from DS. I want to make some fitted diapers now that I have some energy back and once I know what we are having I will make up some fleece longies.

MommyMeads 08-06-2012 10:12 PM

I had two in diapers when DS was born. Both full time but DD2 didn't get changed as often since she was 2. I washed every night. It was just easier to keep on top of it that way. We just lived out of the laundry basket.

Truckerswife 08-07-2012 08:48 AM

I will have 3 in diapers unless my DD1 suddenly decides to potty train I use Snap-ez pockets I have a stash of preemie pockets and of small pockets she has now combined the 2 sizes and has a infant diaper that fits 4-12 pounds

Blueberry32 08-07-2012 12:12 PM

I'm not sure what I'm doing about newborn diapers. I have diapers for 15lbs plus but no newborn ones. Our laundry is three floors down from the bedrooms so if I end up with a csection it will be too hard for me to go up and down with laundry all the time. I'm considering disposables for a couple weeks then a diaper service until baby is bigger and can fit into the diapers I already have.
Anyone ever done a diaper service before? There is one called happy nappy that I'm looking into. They have fitteds and you provide your own covers.