Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Just so disappointed...how do you deal when something doesn't work out? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1428861)

shouldbedoinglaundry 08-06-2012 04:30 PM

Just so disappointed...how do you deal when something doesn't work out?

My husband has been hearing chatter for a few months that he is going to be transferred to an international location for work. It is so exciting because it is a short-term gig (18 months) so we wouldn't have to really say good bye to our friends or our house. It would be like a boon-doggle, really! The locations thrown out sounded fabulous: maybe Ireland, maybe The Dominican Republic!

I studied abroad in college three times and speak Spanish. I was dreaming of an 18 month stay in the D.R. and perfecting my Spanish, lying on the beach, doing charity work for the less-fortunate. Or perhaps discovering a new place like Ireland with the option to travel to France and Germany easily since I love those nations so much!

Today was the big meeting with the boss and she revealed where she wants to send him...

BUFFALO, NY.

UH!!! (that is the sound of the wind getting knocked out of my sails)

How do you deal with disappointment?

AfWife8405 08-06-2012 04:40 PM

Re: Just so disappointed...how do you deal when something doesn't work out?

This post is SO funny to me, here is why.... DH is military, we were living in Cali and expecting to be sent to Maryland, which made us SO happy because our family is in Buffalo, NY! We got sent to Hawaii instead and were so depressed about it. Everyone thought we were insane cause Hawaii is amazing. Two years later, we have one year left in Hawaii and are trying desperately to get a recruiting position in Buffalo. How do you deal with the disappointment? Find a silver lining!

DH & I were born and raised in Western, NY. I promise it is not as bad as it sounds. We grew up in Grand Island, NY (right between Buffalo & Niagara Falls) and it was an excellent place to grow up. I highly recommend looking for a home (apartment/house) there. The schools were great. :) I'd be happy to answer questions you have about the area.

shouldbedoinglaundry 08-06-2012 04:58 PM

Thank you for your thoughts! I appreciate it so much. I'm a firm believer that when something doesn't work out, there is a bigger plan and hopefully something better. It's very easy for me to see that in my life when I look back on the past. It's just hard when you're in the thick of disappointment. Perhaps this taught me not to get excited about something unless it's more definite!

sojomisa 08-06-2012 05:08 PM

Aw, I'd be bummed too! I hope amazing thing await you in NY.

sojomisa 08-06-2012 05:08 PM

Aw, I'd be bummed too! I hope amazing thing await you in NY.

nonipie 08-06-2012 05:24 PM

Oh bummer! I would be utterly depressed but would try to find something good in it. It's an adventure and 18 months of stories you guys won't forget. I lived there for 3 years and well...I would not ever like to return. BUT, the food is good!

AfWife8405 08-06-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shouldbedoinglaundry (Post 15508996)
Thank you for your thoughts! I appreciate it so much. I'm a firm believer that when something doesn't work out, there is a bigger plan and hopefully something better. It's very easy for me to see that in my life when I look back on the past. It's just hard when you're in the thick of disappointment. Perhaps this taught me not to get excited about something unless it's more definite!

Totally understandable! We felt the same way when we found out we were headed to Hawaii instead of the east coast. I know what it is like to see yourself somewhere already and then have it yanked out from under you. It's okay to feel crappy about it for a while. It took me 3 months to wrap my mind around it, but part of that was knowing I would hardly see my family for 3 years. I bet a month from now you'll be researching all things Buffalo and making new plans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonipie (Post 15509079)
Oh bummer! I would be utterly depressed but would try to find something good in it. It's an adventure and 18 months of stories you guys won't forget. I lived there for 3 years and well...I would not ever like to return. BUT, the food is good!

I'll try not to be offended, lol j/k. Yes, the food is good! Have some Buffalo Wings for me. :thumbsup:

luvsviola 08-06-2012 07:20 PM

Hugs mama! Sorry you are disappointed. :(

Only 08-06-2012 07:27 PM

Hopefully things change and he gets sent where you want. :)

shouldbedoinglaundry 08-06-2012 09:57 PM

Thanks!