Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   who's getting U/S who's deciling? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429087)

MrsS 08-07-2012 08:37 AM

who's getting U/S who's deciling?

I'm having the hardest time deciding whether to get a 20 week scan just to make sure baby and placenta are doing well and are normal. We are having a birth center birth and they don't usually order a U/S unless you want one. So we originally weren't going to get one. But I was researching it and reading about a lot of people who found out about birth defects, cord issues, placenta issues that could have prevented problems to baby and mother if detected early and known about prior to labor.

I'm sort of now leaning towards getting a scan. But I think I will decline finding out the gender. Okay I just want to hear what you all are thinking.

cheezpoofs 08-07-2012 09:22 AM

Re: who's getting U/S who's deciling?

We don't get ultrasounds unless necessary.

My_Tree_Grows 08-07-2012 12:05 PM

We're getting the 20 week scan. Probably. :) I prefer to limit both U/S and doppler use as a rule. The 20 week anatomy scan shows gross physical defects, some of which can be corrected pre-natally, you're correct. We won't be finding out gender as that's not our purpose for accepting the scan. We talked about it quite a bit and our current position is that we'll do this one.

ETA: My DS has a heart condition which was not found until he was 9 months old and is being closely monitored; DH has the same condition (also undetected because MIL does not believe in U/S or doctor's appointments - I don't disagree with her, those are simply the facts) and required emergency open-heart surgery following lung collapse. It was a discussion with our midwife about hopefully detecting this condition sooner in any future children and avoiding or being prepared for emergency intervention which has swayed us to the "alright, we'll do this one" camp. I don't endorse the safety of frequently disturbing a fetus with sound waves without purpose and don't think that most families have this same genetic concern. This is a defense of my changed position on the 20 week U/S in MY pregnancy only, and NOT a dire warning to other mamas to get the scan. :D

Blueberry32 08-07-2012 12:18 PM

I'm getting one. I can't wait to see the baby on the screen! We will also be finding out the gender. I absolutely loved my 20 week u/s last time. Loved seeing my daughter, she had little dancing feet and was really active. It was amazing.

MrsS 08-07-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueberry32 (Post 15512488)
I'm getting one. I can't wait to see the baby on the screen! We will also be finding out the gender. I absolutely loved my 20 week u/s last time. Loved seeing my daughter, she had little dancing feet and was really active. It was amazing.

Yeah, I surely would enjoy seeing the baby. I think because of another friend's experience who shared she saw issues with the cord that needed to be dealt with I'll get one. But I certainly will enjoy seeing the baby.

Our insurance doesn't cover any of it so it will be expensive but hopefully it'll help prevent complications by finding out how things are going.

Umm_Ibraheem 08-07-2012 02:56 PM

I normally decline as many ultrasounds as possible but in this pregnancy I've already had two. One to rule out twins at 7 weeks and another yesterday at 13-14 weeks because my toddler jumped on my belly while I was sleeping and I was in pain and cramping. STILL my MW insists on a 20 week ultrasound and I was going to do it because that's when she decides whether she can take m or not or if there were more than one. However, yesterdays ultrasound showed only one very active baby so that ruled out twins and my placenta was ideal and so was my cervix so I don't want to do another.

katymf 08-07-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueberry32 (Post 15512488)

I'm with you! we had one at 8w1d due to some spotting i had so that u/s was defenitly necassry (im a horrible speller) to us. and 20w scan for the gender of course and to see him/her! :goodvibes:it is truely a magical experince. as long as i get as little as needed that is fine by me. with DS we had 3 (last one due to he was 10 days overdue).

Sarah7464 08-07-2012 07:31 PM

I have a feeling I'm going to have to have far more than I would ever want. The twins are in the same chorion and may share a placenta so there's concern about twin to twin transfusion.

MommyMeads 08-07-2012 07:55 PM

We do the 20 week u/s. For us it's about knowing if everything is ok with the baby. I want to know if something will need to be addressed at birth. Of course seeing the baby is always fun too.

Green Decals 08-07-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsS (Post 15512907)
Yeah, I surely would enjoy seeing the baby. I think because of another friend's experience who shared she saw issues with the cord that needed to be dealt with I'll get one. But I certainly will enjoy seeing the baby.

Our insurance doesn't cover any of it so it will be expensive but hopefully it'll help prevent complications by finding out how things are going.

We aren't 100% positive, but will probably get one at 20 weeks, maybe... DH just wants to make sure that the placenta is where it needs to be, no obvious cord issues, etc. I am not a fan, and don't do things that aren't necessary, but last pg I ended up getting one at 34 weeks and it was way more involved and longer than the 20 week survey, so in erring on the side of caution, while understanding the risks of ultrasound exposure, we will probably get one.

We also do not have insurance, but I called around to the two free-standing medical imaging centers nearest to us and one charges $470 for a 20-week scan and the other charges $200 (considering their cash discount). The hospitals near us charge over $600. It is worth it to shop around. I would NOT go to one of those "keepsake ultrasound" places - if we do it, it will be to rule out issues and look at anatomy (minus sex) and NOT to get a "keepsake photo" of our unborn baby. I would only consider it at a regulated, trusted medical facility.