Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   OMG help me. He just doesn't sleep! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429120)

corinne76 08-07-2012 10:01 AM

OMG help me. He just doesn't sleep!

Ok he does go to sleep. But DS (18 months) will wake up about 3 to nurse, then will wake up again in about an hour or so. Some days he just keeps waking hourly until about 6, other days it takes a long time to get him back to sleep. Like today, I was trying to get him back to sleep since 4:30. at 5:30 I finally gave up and brought him outside. I nurse him and he will fall asleep most times, but when I move him to the bed, he wakes up and kicks and screams. I try nursing him laying down but he won't sleep that way.
We co-sleep and My 4-y-o DD sleeps in bed with us too. So I can't let him cry and kick in the bed.
Help me! I'm about to lose my mind, This has been going on for a couple weeks now. He's never been a good sleeper but sometimes its better than others, right now its horrible. Mama needs some rest!
oh, he's never NEVER STTN (like the entire night), but then again, DD didnt until she was over 2. I just keep waiting.

melyndie 08-07-2012 11:43 AM

There is an 18 month sleep regression. Google "ask Moxie" and "18 month sleep regression" and you should get some good info. Maybe that is what is going on?

doodah 08-07-2012 11:54 AM

Re: OMG help me. He just doesn't sleep!

What are you willing to change in order to get him sleeping better? Are you considering moving him to his own bed?

We do the Baby Whisperer and have our kids on daily routine (not a strict schedule). My kids start sleeping thru the night 12 hours by 5 to 8 months old, depending on the child. We also breast fed and co-sleep/room share so you can take these techniques and make them work for you.

But no matter what you decide, its going to take some work and dedication. Good sleep habits are learned.

It doesnt sound like a regression to me because as the OP said, hes never been a good sleeper and never STTN.

juliasmom 08-07-2012 12:13 PM

Does he have his own room he could try to sleep in? Do you think he could be a light sleeper and everyones noises are waking him? We dont cosleep past 6ish months because our noises start waking the baby. Giving the boob to get him back to sleep is as much your habit as his, and might be a hinderance to him developing his own methods to getting back to sleep.

corinne76 08-07-2012 12:50 PM

thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, we can't really move him. We rent a 2-bedroom apt and the 2nd room, which was orignally DD's room, is the play room. it's a much smaller room and there is no room.
hmmm, maybe I can do a complete overhaul and move both kids to that room. Will need to think about that....

doodah 08-07-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinne76 (Post 15512645)
thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, we can't really move him. We rent a 2-bedroom apt and the 2nd room, which was orignally DD's room, is the play room. it's a much smaller room and there is no room.
hmmm, maybe I can do a complete overhaul and move both kids to that room. Will need to think about that....

yeah thats definitely something to consider but I personally would do just one child at a time. sounds like maybe the younger should go first....maybe the older can be moved to a pallet on the floor in preparation to move with sibling, at least that way you would have your bed back. Good luck! sounds like you will have your hands full with the transition.

corinne76 08-07-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah (Post 15512747)
yeah thats definitely something to consider but I personally would do just one child at a time. sounds like maybe the younger should go first....maybe the older can be moved to a pallet on the floor in preparation to move with sibling, at least that way you would have your bed back. Good luck! sounds like you will have your hands full with the transition.

ok so when you say move my older child to the floor, you mean in my bedroom or in the kids' room? The room (which is her room now so we'd have to convince her to share with DS) is small, so we would need to put a bunk bed in there for them both to fit

UmmKira 08-07-2012 04:04 PM

Just sending hugs because we are in the same boat. After all else failed we did a modified cry it out, dealt with the crying for about a month and it got better. Then Ramadan came which throws all routines out the window so we regressed almost completely. In two weeks we'll start the scream fest again to get back to LO sleeping on her own.

I feel your pain. :)

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype