Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Generation to generation (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429240)

ashley0929 08-07-2012 02:29 PM

Generation to generation

Does anyone have any recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation, in your family?

I am looking for anything, deserts, dinners, breakfast, lunches, etc.

I think it would be cool to see everyone's family recipes!!

ashley0929 08-07-2012 02:36 PM

Re: Generation to generation

Daddy Nuggets

This is a chicken finger recipe that my dad use to make my brother and I almost every night.

Ingredients:

-Boneless skinless Chicken breasts (cut off any fat)
-Milk (I use whole, but you can use any kind)
-Italian Style breadcrumbs (I use Progresso)
-Olive oil (I always use Fillippo Berio Olive oil)

-----

Cut the chicken breast into thin slices (think chicken fingers).

Then dip the chicken fingers into milk, and then dip them into the Bread crumbs to coat them on both sides.

Then on medium heat fry the chicken on a frying pan in the olive oil until chicken is fully cooked, and a nice brown color.

Then serve!! This is my favorite chicken strips, and my kids love it too.

Leah52 08-07-2012 03:49 PM

This is something my MIL used to make when my husband was growing up and I'm sure she got the idea from her own mom.

Halushka

1 12 oz box of macaroni
1 lb of pork sausage
1 head of cabbage, shredded
1 onion sliced
1 stick of butter

Cook macaroni (or egg noodles) according to package directions. Meanwhile crumble the sausage into a skillet and cook until browned, remove to a bowl. In the same pan cook the onion and cabbage until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and add the stick of butter, sausage, and cabbage and onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

When it gets cold outside my husband always wants me to make this.

HeatherlovesCDs 08-08-2012 12:45 PM

My husband's family does. Unfortunately, his dad ruined it. :( It's his families' Italian red sauce recipe from generations ago. My husband's grandfather taught it to my husband's dad. Of course, it used to be made from scratch. My FIL (and MIL) are always looking for the easy way out. So, he took the sauce and started making it by starting with a jar of Ragu. He says that's the base. He embellishes it by adding wine, beef short ribs, sausage and a few other things. It doesn't taste like Ragu when he is done and it is good. But, it's so sad to me. His dad still says it's from scratch. :\

This is the sauce my husband grew up on and really loves. So, I make it now. But, I wish I knew how to do it from scratch. I've thought about trying to figure it out, but I'm not good at that. His dad does not remember. I've asked several times. When I ask, not only does he claim he doesn't know, but he acts like I'm an idiot for even wanting it and ridiculous for thinking it might be better to not take the short cut and actually do it from scratch. After all, what fool would take the time to actually make it when you can buy a "base?" *sigh* I know I already said this, but it's so very sad to me.

My MIL makes really yummy meat balls that she learned from her Italian father. I make them now and they are really good. I always get compliments on them. Yummy!!

3 ladybugs 08-08-2012 01:49 PM

We have a roll recipe that is known as "great grandma's rolls" I will see if I can find it. Supposedly the lefse recipe that my great grandmother used is also around as is her cookie (biscuit) recipe. However my family likes to leave people out of the family and I have yet to get my hands on either of those. :rolleyes:

2queens&1princenmyhouse 08-08-2012 05:23 PM

My kids all have recipes that they like that are named after the family members who make them. We have DeAnn potatoes (hash brown casserole), Nana Rice (Green Rice), Papa BBQ (bbq pork steaks), and Grandpa Dip (Rotel). I have a cookbook that MIL gave us all for Christmas one year that has all of the family favorites in it along with a story about each. Some are simple like Lipton pasta pouches and others are so and so's grandmothers Christmas cookies. It's pretty interesting.

ashley0929 08-10-2012 04:50 PM

I love trying family recipes. We don't really have any except that chicken I posted.

DottieHarley 08-10-2012 06:19 PM

We have a cream cheese cookie recipe that my grandmother started making way back when. It's basically a cream cheese spritz and you use a cookie press. My mom made them and now I make them, they are a family Christmas tradition. DH has now bought into the cookie madness and they are his favorites too. However I made them once in the spring and they just... Seemed wrong. It has been officially decreed that they shall only be made fir Christmas.

danielle 08-10-2012 09:55 PM

^^ I'd be so grateful if you shared your spritz recipe. Cream cheese sounds like a great addition.

My mom's beef stew and sauerbraten came from her grandma. My mom was a killer comfort food cook. Most of her repertoire was from those glossy recipe cards from the 70s.

angelika13 08-12-2012 10:34 AM

These are my grandmother's cookies, I think they go back at least 100 years.

Spitzbuben

Ischler Krapfen