Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My 4 1/2 yr old had to get cavities filled. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429299)

Michelle_M 08-07-2012 04:32 PM

My 4 1/2 yr old had to get cavities filled.

And I was so proud of him. We explained what the dentist was going to do, and let him pick which of us was going to go with him (he picked me of course).

When we got there, they gave ME the option of using nitrous or Novocaine, and I asked for the nitrous. They asked if I wanted to stay with him, or wait in the waiting room, of course I stayed. The dentist explained everything to DS2 before he did it, so that N knew what to expect.

He did so great. I was so proud of my little trooper. They only did his left side, and we go back next week to do the other side. When I told DS2 that we were going to have to go back, and asked him if that was ok, he said "Oh, yes."

My brave little trooper!!! Such a good sport!

And one of the reasons we have stayed at this dental office, when the new dentist came in, is that he is GREAT with kids AND squeamish adults (Ahem, DH, Ahem, :giggle2:).

It was about as good of an experience as cavity fillings can be.

Did I mention how proud I am of my little man? :goodvibes:

The dental assistant even said "I wish we had more kids as relaxed as he is."

God bless!

God bless!

Suzi 08-08-2012 06:09 PM

Re: My 4 1/2 yr old had to get cavities filled.

Great!

P!nkPepper 08-08-2012 07:37 PM

Aww, so glad it turned out ok. Those things can be scary to little ones.

Jodie ~ wife & mama

Michelle_M 08-08-2012 08:12 PM

Thanks. I was so proud of how brave he was. :) And he's totally ok with going back next week to finish up. :)

'course, it helps that they have a toy chest to pick toys from. :)

God bless!

DalesWidda 08-08-2012 08:50 PM

I'm glad it went well. Alannah (my three year old) just had her first cavity filled a few weeks ago and it was a really deep one. Our dentist doesn't offer nitrous so we just went with novicaine. She was such a trouper. She didn't cry, she didn't fuss, a couple of times she scrunched up her little face and said "ow" but really she did fine. Then afterwards she said, "mommy, I had fun at the dentist today!" Such a trooper.

You know, I think it's all in how we as parents handle it. If we get all nervous about the dentist, then the kiddos worry. Michelle, you and I must be awesome at handling the dentist! LOL

Michelle_M 08-08-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalesWidda (Post 15519354)
I'm glad it went well. Alannah (my three year old) just had her first cavity filled a few weeks ago and it was a really deep one. Our dentist doesn't offer nitrous so we just went with novicaine. She was such a trouper. She didn't cry, she didn't fuss, a couple of times she scrunched up her little face and said "ow" but really she did fine. Then afterwards she said, "mommy, I had fun at the dentist today!" Such a trooper.

You know, I think it's all in how we as parents handle it. If we get all nervous about the dentist, then the kiddos worry. Michelle, you and I must be awesome at handling the dentist! LOL

I absolutely agree with you.

I've never treated the dentist as something big and scary. And I have always explained to them what is going to happen, and I think that REALLY helps. It also helps to have a dentist who is great with kids. :)

God bless!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 08-08-2012 09:01 PM

That's really great! I need to find a good dentist for my kids, the one I took ds1 to traumatized him bad.:(

Michelle_M 08-08-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox (Post 15519400)
That's really great! I need to find a good dentist for my kids, the one I took ds1 to traumatized him bad.:(

This office has been through a few, and only one was bad.

The first was awesome. But he transferred to a different clinic in the chain.

The second was great too..she got pregnant, had a sub in to cover her maternity leave, then decided to be a SAHM, and the temp dentist left.

Then they hired the JERK! My son said that his mouth really hurt (this was right after his younger brother had to have an emergency trip to the dentist), turns out he was faking for attention, and the dentist was really rude to me and told me to stop wasting his time.

The next time I went to make an appointment, I asked the office manager if they still had that guy. He said "We had to let him go." Apparently he had a great resume and interviewed perfectly, but they had so many clients threaten to leave if this guy stayed. So they fired him.

And this guy, who we've seen several times now is just awesome. :)

God bless!