Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I want to eat dinner at the table as a family.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429304)

happysmileylady 08-07-2012 05:49 PM

I want to eat dinner at the table as a family..

But it seems like such a waste during the week. DH isn't home until around 7:15. The little ones are usually hungry before then so I get them something small, but it means that they really aren't interested in eating much once he's home. And DD1 is almost always wanting to work on her homework. Even during the summer she was taking two classes on line and evening really is when she concentrates on that the best.

SO, we end up eating REALLY late waiting on DH, with a 3.5 yr old who is being obnoxious because she's not hungry anymore, a 23 month old who doesn't talk and spends the whole time whining because she wants the bottle we are trying to wean her off of, and a 16 yr old who is whining because she wants to get her homework done.

OR, I end up at the table with just the two littles, again one of whom doesn't talk at all and the other just keeps asking where daddy is.

Do you eat dinner as a family at the table every night?

dancermommy1 08-07-2012 05:57 PM

Re: I want to eat dinner at the table as a family..

We do. But we are all home by 5.

If its important to you maybe just do one or two nights a week? Like one weekend night and one weeknight?

jlsquire0324 08-07-2012 06:00 PM

I wish, DH works in retail sales. He gets home 7:30 somedays, somedays 9:30 :( I hate that the kiddo is in bed before he gets home :sigh:

HeatherlovesCDs 08-07-2012 06:54 PM

Usually we do. My husband gets home around 6:30. I think it's a little late with 5 kids 6 and under, but it's not too bad. I give mine a big snack around 4pm and then make them wait after that. My kids, especially my toddlers, go to bed immediately after dinner.

I don't know if I would make them wait till 7:15 or not. Family dinner's are very important to me, but that is late for little ones to wait. I guess it would depend on how they handled it overall. It's a hard call. :hugs:

Fishie Kisses 08-07-2012 07:01 PM

DH gets home around 530-6, which is around the time the daycare kids go home. We usually eat around 615ish. The kids go to bed by 730, so eating at 715 or later would NOT be an option.

OP-if I were in your shoes, I would probably feed the kids and then eat with DH. Or, eat a little something with the kids so they are getting the "family table" experience and then eat the rest of my meal with DH so he wasn't eating alone

doodah 08-07-2012 07:23 PM

we do but I wouldnt hold dinner for as long as you are talking about. i would have to find another way to incorporate family time each day because 7:15 is way too late for dinner. My kids are all in bed by 8.

erin_c_odonnell 08-07-2012 07:27 PM

Is there a trade off maybe? Like everyone together for breakfast instead? Lunch out together once a week? We'd never make it to 7:30 either with the littlies.

erin_c_odonnell 08-07-2012 07:28 PM

When dh worked retail we used to drive in his lunch hr and picnic in the car lol. Hey whatever it took :giggle:

CHoney 08-07-2012 07:28 PM

I would also just eat with the little ones. Maybe depending on bedtime, you could have a snack, glass of milk, or story time while DH eats his dinner?

My DH gets home between 5:30 and 6:30 most nights, so we can eat together. If he's going to be late, we eat without him.

We like to sometimes have a lunch with DH during the week, a picnic or drive thru!

Leah52 08-07-2012 07:30 PM

We almost always eat dinner together and my husband doesn't get home until 7:30 sometimes, usually between 6:30-7. But that's the way it's always been and we have just made it work. The rare times we don't wait for him is if he is kept on the job really late and doesn't get home until after 8:30 or so, that's just too late.