Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Help me solve my dilemma--what would you do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429421)

rverrone11 08-07-2012 10:17 PM

Help me solve my dilemma--what would you do?

I live in the middle of nowhere so my choices on where to have my baby are limited, and I don't know what to do. For background, I have two daughters:

1. My first daughter was born 41w 4d in a hospital with a CNM when we lived in Illinois. Her birth was over 24 hours. After her head came out, her shoulders were kind of stuck, and the midwife called for backup. DH said she basically grabbed DD and pulled her out of me. She was 9lbs 2 oz
2. My second DD was a waterbirth home birth at my midwife's house 3.5 hours from where we live. She was born at 41 weeks. We left our house before I was in labor, and labor started about halfway there. Total labor was 4 hours. She too got a bit stuck after her head came out. She was 8 lbs 13 oz.

*another thing to note--we have two houses...one we rent for very cheap that we live in during the week because it is right behind our work and another that we bought to be closer to town. So even though I mention "weekend home", we are not "rich". :)

Option 1: Go to my local hospital, which is 100 miles away (1.5 hours) from where we live Monday-Thursday and 12 miles away from our weekend home. This would be ideal except all of the doctors and midwives are out of network. The hospital is in network. So, the hospital would cost $1,500 and the doctor would cost $2,000 plus 30% of anything past that plus anything over EME.
* There are no home birth midwives in this town.

Option 2: home birth midwife in Las Vegas: that is 3.5 hours away from our M-Th home and 4+ hours away from our weekend home. To give you an idea of what the drive is like, I would have to drive through Death Valley to get there. I would also have to find somewhere to give birth. $1,500-$2,000 for midwife plus about $500 for hotel plus travel for my appointments.

Option 3: hospital in Las Vegas, so same issues as with Option 2 except I wouldn't have to find a place to give birth. Both doctor and hospital are in-network so it's about $2,000 plus about $500 for hotel plus travel for my appointments (I would probably have more appointments with the doctor than with a home birth midwife.

I had the same dilemma when DD2 was born, but I figured since I had a 24 hour labor with my first, I would have plenty of time to get to my midwife. We were lucky that we left before I had any contractions.

I just don't know what to do. :cry:

va703 08-08-2012 09:49 AM

Re: Help me solve my dilemma--what would you do?

If it were me, I'd go with option #1. Should anything emergent happen, you'd be heading to the closest hospital anyway. I can't imagine having a 4 hour drive in labor (or a 4 hour drive home with a newborn...through a desert, no less!) the out-of-pocket costs would probably be similar once travel was figured in. Sorry it has to be so complicated for you, that must be frustrating!

mommycass 08-08-2012 09:58 AM

I would go with option 1 from your choices. Other ideas: midwife coming 3.5 hrs to you or unassisted homebirth. I know most people are not comfortable with unassisted and with the shoulders being a tight squeeze, not sure. My midwife may be out of town when I go into labor so we are thinking of doing an unassisted birth this time:)

rverrone11 08-08-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommycass (Post 15516561)
I would go with option 1 from your choices. Other ideas: midwife coming 3.5 hrs to you or unassisted homebirth. I know most people are not comfortable with unassisted and with the shoulders being a tight squeeze, not sure. My midwife may be out of town when I go into labor so we are thinking of doing an unassisted birth this time:)

I've thought about unassisted, but with the shoulders being a tight squeeze both times, I don't want to take any chances.

You gave me an idea...perhaps a home birth midwife would be willing to come to my house for the birth (and one more appintment before that so she knows how to get here), but I can drive down there for appointments.

I'm also going to call the doctors around here and see if they have a cash price. The doctor might be more than I thought because the deductible needs to be paid each year, and I'm due in April.

~sigh~ Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations here.

rverrone11 08-08-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by va703 (Post 15516517)
If it were me, I'd go with option #1. Should anything emergent happen, you'd be heading to the closest hospital anyway. I can't imagine having a 4 hour drive in labor (or a 4 hour drive home with a newborn...through a desert, no less!) the out-of-pocket costs would probably be similar once travel was figured in. Sorry it has to be so complicated for you, that must be frustrating!

The 4 hour drive in labor is what scares me! We did the long drive home with my second DD and we just made sure to make lots of stops along the way for her to nurse. It wasn't too bad.

mommycass 08-08-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rverrone11 (Post 15517178)
I've thought about unassisted, but with the shoulders being a tight squeeze both times, I don't want to take any chances.

You gave me an idea...perhaps a home birth midwife would be willing to come to my house for the birth (and one more appintment before that so she knows how to get here), but I can drive down there for appointments.

I'm also going to call the doctors around here and see if they have a cash price. The doctor might be more than I thought because the deductible needs to be paid each year, and I'm due in April.

~sigh~ Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations here.

We all need to vent sometimes:hugs:
My midwife actually flew to Missouri to help with delivery because a lady that she had midwived before went into labor at 36 wks and her current midwife refused to assist. She really didn't want to go to the hospital. My midwife made it there in time and things went great. For me it always helps to have faith, everything will always work out. I think you would be able to find a midwife to come to you(for extra expenses probably?). Hope it all works out in your favor:)