Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Earthquake!!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429445)

ParkersMommy7611 08-08-2012 01:42 AM

Earthquake!!!!

Its funny how earthquakes have never bothered me (well except when I was little) until I became a mommy, now I drop what I'm doing and run to my sons room... Nothing can fall on him in there but there is a desk with a hutch unit on top that is not secured (he doesn't play in there right now his room is only for sleeping) so if it falls I know it will scare the crap out of him! I use to say that the only way I'm getting out of bed for an earthquake is if it knocks me out! lol Well not anymore!!

majomama 08-08-2012 01:55 AM

I felt it here too!! First thing I did was check on the girls.

basMama 08-08-2012 02:03 AM

Re: Earthquake!!!!

Hehe we hardly felt it here, but the one before that was scary I ran to get the kids. My heart was beating so fast.

Shimpie 08-08-2012 02:18 AM

DH felt it. I was oblivious.

HeatherlovesCDs 08-08-2012 08:55 AM

The first earthquake I was ever in was last year. I'm on the east coast and I'd never felt one before. It was a total shock and it took a few seconds to really figure out what it was. We were 20 miles from the epicenter. It wasn't nearly as strong as some that have hit the west coast, but it was definitely strong and a couple things fell from my mantle.

I have 5 kids 6 and under (5 and under at the time). The first thing I did was start yelling for the older kids to get out of the house while I went to get the toddlers about 1.5 at the time). It stopped before we actually got out. But, I thought of nothing except getting my kids out of harms way. It makes total sense to me you would do the same.

ParkersMommy7611 08-08-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
The first earthquake I was ever in was last year. I'm on the east coast and I'd never felt one before. It was a total shock and it took a few seconds to really figure out what it was. We were 20 miles from the epicenter. It wasn't nearly as strong as some that have hit the west coast, but it was definitely strong and a couple things fell from my mantle.

I have 5 kids 6 and under (5 and under at the time). The first thing I did was start yelling for the older kids to get out of the house while I went to get the toddlers about 1.5 at the time). It stopped before we actually got out. But, I thought of nothing except getting my kids out of harms way. It makes total sense to me you would do the same.

I would of been freaked out to if I had never been I an earthquake before but you should look into some earthquake safety because running outside is very rarely the right think to do because of power lines and tress....

HeatherlovesCDs 08-08-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParkersMommy7611 (Post 15516554)
I would of been freaked out to if I had never been I an earthquake before but you should look into some earthquake safety because running outside is very rarely the right think to do because of power lines and tress....

Thanks. I actually should know that because it does make sense. I'm sure you should get into a door frame or under a table or something like that. But, as I said, there hasn't been an earthquake over here in MANY years, since well before I was born. I've never even thought to look into what we should do. I didn't even know what it was at first. I thought it was a big truck outside till it got stronger and didn't let up. All I knew was that the whole house was shaking and felt like it was going to fall down around us and then I realized it must be an earthquake, but was still a bit confused. Getting out seemed to be the best option at the time. Luckily we didn't have any damage even though we had many buildings downtown condemned and had to be torn down. We live a just a couple miles from there. Scary stuff. I can't imagine living where it happens all the time. :hide:

And also, I didn't actually tell them to go outside without me. I told them to go downstairs.(We were all upstairs since it was naptme.) My in-laws lived with us at the time and I yelled to ask them if they would get the older kids out as they were coming up from the basement. I wouldn't send them outside by themselves at all, much less in an earthquake.

IsaacsMom2009 08-08-2012 12:04 PM

The one from early this morning I didn't feel because I was out like a brick. This most recent one I felt, but DS was on the floor at my feet and he didn't even seem to notice it at all.

macmemo 08-08-2012 12:11 PM

we just move to CA about a month ago and I have been waiting for my first earthquake. I have lived on the east coast my whole life so have never experienced one. We are about 40min from the one last night so we didn't feel a thing but I know its going to scare the pants off me when one does hit.

Shimpie 08-08-2012 12:20 PM

Three earthquakes this morning this morning measuring 4.5 and 3.4. :holysheep:I only noticed one. I guess I was driving during the first one and standing around heavy equipment during the second other. I was sitting down during the third, so I actually noticed it.

Last night, after DH freaked out, the first thing I did was go check on DD. She was sound asleeep.

Everyone, it's a good time to make sure your 72-hour emergency kits are up to date. If you don't have one, put one together. One for the house. One for the car. It's important to be prepared. This is what I've packed it my kit. It took months to get it all together.

72-Hour Emergency Preparedness Kit Checklist
1. Water - One gallon per person, per day for three days:
☐ 120 ̶ 4oz pouches (4 gallons)
☒ 2 ̶ 2.5 gallon jugs (5 gallons)
2. Food - Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking and little or no water.
Select food items that are compact and lightweight:
☒ Ready-to-eat canned meats (tuna and spam), fruits (peaches), and vegetables (green beans and corn), MRE
☐ Canned juices, soup
☒ Staples: sugar, salt, pepper
☒ High-energy foods: peanut butter, jelly, crackers, granola bars, trail mix,
☐ Comfort/Stress food: cookies, hard candy, sweetened cereals, lollipops, tea bags
3. First Aid Supplies:
 Sterile adhesives bandages in assorted sizes
 2 and 4 inch sterile gauze pads
 Hypoallergenic adhesive tape
 Scissors, tweezers, needles
 Alcohol wipes
 Safety pins
 Latex gloves
 Mylar blanket
 Ibuprofen/pain reliever, anti-diarrhea medication, antacid, syrup of ipecac, laxatives
4. Clothing & Bedding:
 Sturdy shoes or work boots, and socks
 Extra clothing, underwear
 Water resistant windbreaker
 Blankets or sleeping bags
 Hat and gloves
 Sunglasses
5. Tools & Supplies:
 N95 Respirator Mask
☒ Nalgene bottle
☐ Pot, cooking utensils
 Battery operated radio and extra batteries
 Flashlight and extra batteries
 Cash and change
 Can opener, utility knife
 Tent
 Pliers
 Duct tape
 Compass
 Matches in waterproof container
 Lighter
 One gallon zip lock bags
 Needles, thread
 Medicine dropper
 Shut-off wrench to turn off household gas and water
 Whistle
 Tarp
 Map of the area
 Plastic garbage bags
☐ Household chlorine bleach
☒50 foot rope
6. Sanitation and Personal items
☐ Diapers
☐ Contact lenses and supplies
 Extra eye glasses
 Toothbrush, toothpaste
 Feminine supplies
☐ Toilet paper, one hand towel
 Soap, hand sanitizer
7. Evacuation List
 Important family documents: will, insurance policies, contracts, deeds, stocks and bonds, bank account numbers, social security cards, passports, immunization records, credit card numbers, inventory of valuable household goods, important telephone numbers, and family records
 Pictures, photo albums, irreplaceable items
 Computers

8. Stress Relievers
☐Playing cards
☐Paper, pen, crayons, book
☐Toys