Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Vasectomy (permanent?) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429532)

cjslater1 08-08-2012 10:46 AM

Vasectomy (permanent?)

My daughter is 6 months tomorrow, I also have a three year old son. I had always talked about having 5-6 kids but now I feel really happy with just these two. We got married young and waited 6 yrs to have our first so it was easy to say "oh I want 6" but now I just would rather focus on the two I have and not be completely broke the rest of our lives. I am considering asking my husband to get a vasectomy, but what if ten yrs from now I decide I just want one more? How permanent is a vasectomy, once it's done is it done forever?

thekuan 08-08-2012 10:49 AM

It's safe to assume it's permanent, since there is a chance that a reversal may not take. One of my friends sadly found that out the hard way, and now they are having to do in vitro with stored sperm.

You could try an iud?

cjslater1 08-08-2012 10:51 AM

Re: Vasectomy (permanent?)

I really don't like the side effects of IUD, it seems like people gain a lot of weight from them, I also had a friend who had a lot of hormonal problems and ended up having to have it removed.

Fishie Kisses 08-08-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekuan (Post 15516521)
It's safe to assume it's permanent, since there is a chance that a reversal may not take. One of my friends sadly found that out the hard way, and now they are having to do in vitro with stored sperm.

You could try an iud?

I agree. Paragard(copper) is good for 10 years, Mirena(hormonal) is good for 5.

thekuan 08-08-2012 11:23 AM

Yeah, Paragard is what my mw recommends because there are no hormones.

mama_to_DJM 08-08-2012 11:25 AM

I'll just tell you a little about my story. After having my 2nd child, I was 100% DONE having kids. I gave away my maternity clothes, etc. I couldn't ever see changing my mind. Well... when my youngest was 18 months old, we decided to TTC #3! I couldn't believe I changed my mind, but I did. She's 3 1/2 now, and I am so glad she's part of our family!!

What I told myself then was that I wouldn't make any permanent decisions until my youngest child was at least 2. Even still, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on permanent bc.

Kap7270 08-08-2012 12:33 PM

My understanding is that vasectomies should be considered permanent. If you decide to try reversing it, then a reversal is more effective if the original procedure was just a few years prior. If you try reversing it ten years later, more scar tissue will have formed making the reversal less likely to be successful.

gingerpeachee 08-08-2012 01:08 PM

Don't get a tubal or a vasectomy unless there is absolutely no circumstance that will leave you wanting more children.

4boys1girlforme 08-08-2012 01:32 PM

I was done after 2 children as well and you can see by my un that we changed our minds!

Trynitey 08-08-2012 01:41 PM

Nope, not done forever but it's a very painful process to get done and get undone. DH had a vasectomy and a vas reversal and he said that the reversal was hell. We are now pregnant after 4 months after the vas reversal, but he didn't even have his vasectomy for 3yrs. Once 5yrs goes by, the chances of getting pregnant go down. The longer the vas is in place the longer it can take to get pregnant or the less likely it is that the vas reversal will work.

If you think there is ANY chance at all that you will have more, I highly recommend NOT having him do a reversal. Go after an IUD or something that is a little less permanent.