Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   making maternity clothes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429666)

RunawayBunny 08-08-2012 02:15 PM

making maternity clothes

Anyone have any good resources for making maternity clothes? I have a very soft pair of jeans that I want to turn into maternity pants.

swrlgrl105 08-08-2012 02:21 PM

Re: making maternity clothes

I dont have any resources, but you could cut off the original waist, turn them inside out, and sew on one of those Belly Band things so once its turned back out to the correct side, it will look like the motherhood maternity "secret fit" belly pants. KWIM? you can get the knock off brand of the belly bands at target for about $10-$12

AniMommy 08-08-2012 06:09 PM

Re: making maternity clothes

It's really easy. In fact I am wearing a pair of pants that I converted myself. You do need a sewing machine, but basic sewing skills are all that's needed.

Easiest if you have a pair of maternity pants that you like the fit of, but not necessary.

1. Remove the waistband. The best way is with a seam ripper. You want to save the seam allowance.

2. Remove the zipper. Sew the zipper flap shut.

3. Measure the length of the crotch (seam where all four pieces of the pants meet) to elastic waistband of a pair of maternity pants you like.

4. Mark the new pants with the same length. (it's generally about an 1.5 lower than the existing length.

5. Purchase 2.5in or 3in wide elastic from a fabric store. You'll need about 1.5 yards (to be safe). Also purchase about a 1/3 yard knit fabric (45 or 60 wide). You'll want a fairly firm knit.

6. Measure the elastic around your belly. You'll want to stretch the elastic a little bit. Add 2 inches to over lap and sew the elastic together.

7. Take the knit fabric. You'll need it to be twice the width of the elastic plus two seam allowances. If your elastic is 3 wide, you'll need the fabric to be 7in (3+3 elastic) PLUS (.5 + .5 seam allowance.) As far as the length, it should be equal to the circumfrence of the waist of the pants. Sew the knit to make a tube. It's still open lengthwise.

8. Seam one side of the knit to the pants. Insert the elastic. Sew the two sides of the elastic and the pants together. Viola! Done.

RunawayBunny 08-08-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swrlgrl105
I dont have any resources, but you could cut off the original waist, turn them inside out, and sew on one of those Belly Band things so once its turned back out to the correct side, it will look like the motherhood maternity "secret fit" belly pants. KWIM? you can get the knock off brand of the belly bands at target for about $10-$12

The belly band I had with my last pregnancy itched like crazy. I had pups (or whatever its called) though so maybe it wouldnt bother me this time.

Thanks Animommy! Looks like a great tutorial!

AniMommy 08-08-2012 11:59 PM

I should edit #4

After marking the crotch length, mark a second spot a .5 in above it. (this is the seam allowance). Then mark a half circle (more oval than circle) from side seam to side seam. The lowest point of the circle is the crotch length mark. Cut along the line, cutting the excess fabric out.