Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1429898)

Ciarrawuvscd 08-09-2012 08:51 AM

HELP.

Me or my husband have never been to fond of the CIO method. But I am currently 38 weeks pregnant and just don't know what to do with my 18 months old. I might explode. He still wakes up twice per night. He sleeps in his pack n play in our bedroom. We put him down and he does to bed great! Then 2 AM hits and he starts crying and cries and cries and cries until we bring him a bottle. Then around 6AM he starts crying again until we put him into our bed. But this time it is worse sometimes he will start screaming, screeching, hitting, kicking and I have to try and rub his head and sometimes it takes him ten minutes to fall asleep.... I just CAN'T do this with a newborn baby. I am in tears almost every night with this. It's hard, because my husband says crying it out is evil and he doesn't like him not in our room. But this is just NOT working. Please ANY advice will be considered. I can't do this!

Ciarrawuvscd 08-09-2012 08:52 AM

Re: HELP.

Sorry for any errors. I am to tired to care.

isabelsmummy 08-09-2012 11:49 AM

It's hard to have a toddler screeching right beside your bed that is for sure but you need to put an end to this one way or the other! At 18mos the bottle at night can go. A bottle with water can go in the bed and that's it until breakfast. Once the good stuff stops coming he'll probably stop waking for that one. but he's going to have a fit at first I've no doubt. 6am is tough since he's probably ready to get up but if you didn't have the 2am issue then 6am is going to be a lot better!

If your husband isn't willing to do anything that will have your LO cry, then I'd move to another room. You can look after the newborn and your DH can look after the 18mos old.

ktmelody 08-09-2012 12:31 PM

Why not just have a bottle ready in your room for him when he wakes up rather than let him cry and cry until you get it?

Teexie 08-09-2012 12:33 PM

My DH and I are both of the same mindset as your husband about CIO, but I agree that with another baby on the way, something needs to happen! Since you clearly need more sleep at this point, and will continue to need all the sleep you can get when baby comes, can your DH sleep in a different room with DS?

sisu 08-09-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody
Why not just have a bottle ready in your room for him when he wakes up rather than let him cry and cry until you get it?

I think this would help a lot. The more he cries, the more worked up he'll be, and so it'll just be that much longer before he goes back to sleep.

Mom2jandb 08-09-2012 07:11 PM

Does he like to sleep in your bed? I slept with DD1 for 3 years, but when DD2 got here DH took my place and I sleep with the newb in another room. What I'm trying to suggest is, maybe it's time to split things up? Divide and conquer?

d_arnold 08-09-2012 07:23 PM

If your husband is so against CIO, what are his ideas on how to resolve the issue?

FWIW, neither DH or I were in love with the idea of CIO but after trying it, it actually did work. If you all are against it though, have you heard about or read The Baby Whisperer? She has some good ideas in there about introducing a "lovey" and some other helpful tips to get more sleep without using the CIO method.

Hugs! I hope you find something that works very soon. I know how awful it is when you are sleep deprived!

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 08-09-2012 09:05 PM

If all it takes to settle him down is a drink, I would give him water and let him go back to sleep. Both of my boys ( 9 and 3) still wake up thirsty at night from time to time.
Is it possible when he awakens at 6 something he is actually ready to get up? MANY kids start their day that early.

Eta: the sippy cup of water can be prepared before going to bed, and you would just have to give it to him.

It does get easier mama!

chandni3 08-10-2012 09:45 AM

I suggest moving him to a crib and his own room. I moved my baby at 8 months (though I wanted to keep her in my room longer) because I felt the pack n play wasn't soft enough for her anymore since she was heavier. Also our stirring in the night was waking her. She sleeps much better in her crib in her own room.
If you really don't want him in his own room you may have to have him sleep with hubby and you sleep in a different room with the new baby. Also, depending when you put him to bed, it sounds like he is probably ready to get up for the day at 6am. Maybe you have to put him to bed later or you have to go to bed earlier so you can get up at 6.