Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vax question- Tetanus (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430029)

nothingtosee 08-09-2012 02:15 PM

Vax question- Tetanus

So far, my almost 5yo ds is completely vax free, but I am considering getting just a tetanus shot for him. Does anyone know of any brands that offer a thimerosal free version of just TT? I'm really having trouble finding much information on it. I do not want a Tdap, I do not want any advice on giving more than the one vax, thank you.

kushie tushie 08-09-2012 02:32 PM

Why do you want to vax for just that?

Just curious. We are also a non vax family.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

nothingtosee 08-09-2012 02:55 PM

Re: Vax question- Tetanus

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 15522240)
Why do you want to vax for just that?

Just curious. We are also a non vax family.

Ds recently got a puncture wound from falling on one of the bolts on his scooter, and it sent me reeling down memory lane of all of the nails, screws, and who knows what I stepped on as a child, and honestly, it has me nervous. That's why I'm looking around at possible options, although the ONE link I found about a mercury free vax said that it had been moved off of that page.

FindingMercy 08-09-2012 03:46 PM

Remember that tetanus can't live in an oxygenated environment may help calm your fears. Those bolts couldn't hurt him, nor could a nail that is laying in the sidewalk. It would have to be living on a sharp, buried object that he gets stabbed with and that doesn't bleed.

bluedaisyma 08-09-2012 04:03 PM

It's hard to find. My ped told me she was gonna get it, but was never able to. I think it's expensive to get it without DP part of the vax. Either that, or the reason you couldn't find info anymore could be bc it was hard to do the vax that way (separate) that they aren't making it anymore?

Also, research it some. There aren't that many cases per year of tet, and it's usually from farm workers, bc it lives in the soil where there are horses, etc.

Good luck with your search! :goodvibes:

kushie tushie 08-09-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy
Remember that tetanus can't live in an oxygenated environment may help calm your fears. Those bolts couldn't hurt him, nor could a nail that is laying in the sidewalk. It would have to be living on a sharp, buried object that he gets stabbed with and that doesn't bleed.

This is so true. I try not to worry about tetanus. Its hard but its very hard to get.

nothingtosee 08-09-2012 04:34 PM

Okay, that IS helpful information! It seems like all of the pages I check into to read up on the tetanus itself is a "You have to get vacc'd now or your kids will die!" page.

Green Decals 08-09-2012 10:34 PM

My naturopath stocks preservative-free, tetanus-only - not sure of the brand, but it IS available.

KatieGrace 08-11-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Decals (Post 15524276)
My naturopath stocks preservative-free, tetanus-only - not sure of the brand, but it IS available.

Good to know!

paper_girl_76 08-11-2012 08:34 AM

I am very interested also...good to know it is available. Tetanus is a very real fear of mine, since we do live on a farm and have cow and horses! We have all stepped on nails/screws, and so far have been ok. But, this is one vax that I would absolutely get if I could find it alone.