Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Should a Child with Hand Foot & Mouth Stay Home From Daycare? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430093)

badmisterkitty 08-09-2012 03:17 PM

Should a Child with Hand Foot & Mouth Stay Home From Daycare?

The obvious answer, of course, if yes, especially if it's accompanied by fever or the child is miserable.

But if the rash appeared a couple of days ago and a person just now realized what it is, the "damage" to the daycare is already done, right?

Also, in everything I am reading it's viral and not curable or anything and the virus can live in your body for weeks. How soon should that kid be allowed back?

VinhThiMom 08-09-2012 03:21 PM

Re: Should a Child with Hand Foot & Mouth Stay Home From Daycare?

I follow the 24-hour rule. No school within 24 hours of a fever or throwing up (unless it's obvious that it was bad food or something).

badmisterkitty 08-09-2012 03:23 PM

And if no fever?

04liquidS 08-09-2012 03:23 PM

When DS had it, the pedi said it was contagious only while he had a fever.

VinhThiMom 08-09-2012 03:25 PM

No fever, I'd send them to school. I've always been told that everything is only contagious when there's a fever present.

blackbirdmama*3 08-09-2012 04:04 PM

Our ped says to wait until the fever has been gone for 24 hours. I work with her and just asked her lol

MamaNae 08-09-2012 04:16 PM

My niece and nephew had it, my SIL had to keep her kids out for a week.

escapethevillage 08-09-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinhThiMom (Post 15522764)
No fever, I'd send them to school. I've always been told that everything is only contagious when there's a fever present.

That is absolutely not true. The fever has nothing to do with contagiousness. It's only one obvious sign of illness.

I don't want kids in my house with HFM, but if it's not that bad, I take them, and we just deal with it. I've had kids get very sick from it though, and I won't let those kids come over.

Belbaby3728 08-09-2012 04:45 PM

Subbing. My cousins 20 month old currently has this and my grandparents have had him all week. They were supposed to watch my 7 month old dd tomorrow too but I said no. Just didn't want to risk it even though everyone was saying he'd be better by then (started showing obvious signs Tuesday). But he's been at their house since Monday. I prefer to be safe if I can avoid her being in contact with someone we know is sick...

irishmama2 08-09-2012 05:01 PM

Once all the symptoms are gone they're still contagious for like a month afterwards. I would wait until ALL symptoms are gone before thinking about sending them to daycare. We still had blisters in the throat for 5 days after all the other ones were gone.

ETA, My DS never got a fever with it.