Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Co-sleeping families who live in extremely cold climates... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430229)

Green Decals 08-09-2012 10:05 PM

Co-sleeping families who live in extremely cold climates...

How do you keep your LO from freezing, without suffocating them with a big down comforter? And, how do you nurse at night without freezing yourself?

We are expecting a LO in the dead of winter, in the frigid north, and I just realized that I have no idea how I am going to do it. I like to have them up next to me so that I can feel them, and they can nurse (I basically sleep with one or both boobs out all night) but I don't know how I can do that without a heavy blanket. My last 2 were summer babies, so I didn't have a problem, and by the time winter hit, they were old enough to move around...

Mercy24 08-09-2012 10:22 PM

Re: Co-sleeping families who live in extremely cold climates...

First, I keep my heater cranked. Second, I get them some super snuggly jammies. In winter DS only wears fleece or wool. A sleep sack is also a great way to keep them warm but also safe. I always wear a nursing tank to bed under my pjs to keep my stomach from freezing and makes sure to wear nice thick pj's so that it isn't totally necessary to have a huge thick blanket. I found that with DS snuggled up to me it helped to keep both him and myself loads warmer.

luvsviola 08-09-2012 10:24 PM

Nursing tank under the jammies. :) Keeps the belly warm while nursing.

I just put baby in a fleecy Carters sleeper. Wasn't a problem. We set our heat on 67 and never had any issues.

Green Decals 08-09-2012 10:29 PM

Aha! I wear nursing tanks all the time (when nursing LOL), hadn't thought about that one!

UmmKira 08-09-2012 10:36 PM

Ditto to what the other mamas said, and you'll be surprised how well you can maneuver the blanket when you need to. DD2 hates the blankets on her, but I like them up to my shoulders. I've learned to place the blanket exactly down the middle of us while still allowing room for nursing. :)

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

CntryMama 08-09-2012 10:37 PM

I had a shirt with long sleeves on but was open in the front with a nursing tank on... We can not afford to crank up the heat since it costs $300+ a month just to get the house at 58-60 degrees... I also found that once they are a couple months old it is kinda nice, like a free heater ;) I think dh envied how we got to cuddle and be warm!

Chamomile Girl 08-09-2012 10:45 PM

I don't live in a super-cold climate, but I do live in a house with no insulation and an unreliable heater. It is regularly in the low fifties in my house in the winter.

I dressed DS in fleece, and bought silk underwear to put underneath. I found the thickest non-zipper fleece shirt I could and wore it to bed with a nursing tank underneath. I was not comfortable pulling the blankets past my waist.

We survived.

Dmpmercury 08-10-2012 01:32 AM

I just put the baby in fleece jammies and that has been fine for them. I dress warm and use a blanket as far as I can without the baby being in the blanket. Also like another person mentioned having baby there does create heat. I don't turn the heat up high but the babies have been warm enough.

2+2macht4 08-10-2012 01:38 AM

I never gave it a second thought we get over -30 but we heat our house. DS was in sleepers and did fine. I also used those fleece carters sleep sacks.

BubBubsMom 08-10-2012 01:40 AM

I live in Alaska and DS was born in winter and it was freezing this last winter. I just used mostly those fleece sleep sack gowns and we were pretty warm next to each other. I kept my heat at about 70 to make sure house was warm enough