Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Pumps covered under Obamacare (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430260)

senyaj79 08-09-2012 11:03 PM

Pumps covered under Obamacare

So I have heard that the cost of a pump is covered under Obamacare that started Aug. 1. Has anyone else heard this? Does anyone know if it is a manual pump, electric pump, or is that up to each insurance company? I am currently borrowing a pump from a trusted friend. But I have to give it back soon. I know I have to wait until open enrollment at work, which is September for me (I'm a teacher). But I can't find out how to take advantage of this. My insurance company's website is no help. Any ideas/answers?

PS - I also heard that your workplace MUST provide you a private, clean pumping area that is NOT a bathroom. How do I get my work to enforce this? My classroom is not private because it is connected to a stockroom that I share with 3 other teachers. The door to the stockroom has a large window and no lock on the door.

Rdesonia 08-09-2012 11:12 PM

Re: Pumps covered under Obamacare

Quote:

Originally Posted by senyaj79 (Post 15524577)
So I have heard that the cost of a pump is covered under Obamacare that started Aug. 1. Has anyone else heard this? Does anyone know if it is a manual pump, electric pump, or is that up to each insurance company? I am currently borrowing a pump from a trusted friend. But I have to give it back soon. I know I have to wait until open enrollment at work, which is September for me (I'm a teacher). But I can't find out how to take advantage of this. My insurance company's website is no help. Any ideas/answers?

PS - I also heard that your workplace MUST provide you a private, clean pumping area that is NOT a bathroom. How do I get my work to enforce this? My classroom is not private because it is connected to a stockroom that I share with 3 other teachers. The door to the stockroom has a large window and no lock on the door.

I used my HSA to buy a pump. I just had to have a prescription.

My state requires a pumping room if there are more than 30 employees but I think it varies by state. Check with a local WIC office or LLL as they would know about your states BFing laws. Good Luck!

shortcake2386 08-09-2012 11:23 PM

just fyi, my ped wrote an Rx for a pump bc dd i only up 4 oz from birth weight in 6 weeks(she lost a bit at the beginning though). none of the medical suppky places in GA carry them. no one else will file with insurance, including the hospital. but we did find a place in nj that will ship one, just not sure how long it will take. so while its covered by insurance its not as easy as walking in and picking one out

Cleokatrah 08-10-2012 04:08 PM

I heard that you get a tax credit if you buy your own pump. I haven't checked it out, since I bought mine new, so if someone can (un)confirm this, that'd be grand.

SenoraE 08-10-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleokatrah (Post 15527642)
I heard that you get a tax credit if you buy your own pump. I haven't checked it out, since I bought mine new, so if someone can (un)confirm this, that'd be grand.

You may use a FSA or HSA to be reimbursed for your pump using pre-tax money. Or if medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your income, you may include your pump as a portion of what you write off / claim.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/health...Deductible.htm

LaughingPeaMama 08-11-2012 04:04 PM

I just took the breastfeeding rules from the dol website. Fwiw I still struggle to get in pump sessions because it is a shared break room that is only available certain times but so far it's been ok. Not great but ok

ReturnMeHomeAgain 08-11-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senyaj79 (Post 15524577)

As another poster has said it depends on the size of the company and their existing structure. If they don't physically have a place for it then the law can't mandate they build onto their existing structure to provide it. Honestly I'd find a mini curtain rod, there's even magnetic ones, and make them replace the stockroom door knob with a locking one for you. I found it was much easier to stay as close to my assignment as possible because it allows you even more time to pump. Also it may be more comfortable for you. I don't actually have the time at work to pump since yes they are obligated to let me have the break but it doesn't mean someone will step in and do my work so no pumping unless I was really lucky. I did a 7week school course during the summer last year and had 18mins lunch break to pump, eat, potty and get across campus. I have totally pumped in public hiking across campus eating my sandwich. I would pay fat cash for a discreet slim pump I could wear and work without anyone knowing!

shortcake2386 08-15-2012 08:36 PM

fyi my insurance covered medela double electric arrived today:thumbsup: it was backordered but they overnighted it yesterday. it took almost 2 weeks and we had to get it shipped from NJ but it was covered

Jumping Bean 08-26-2012 06:39 AM

Like SenoraE said, you can use FSA or HSA to purchase or file it under medical expenses if those will be more than a certain % of your income (I thought it was 12%) if your employer offers an FSA take advantage of it and ask for the amount of $ that a new pump.and enough pumping supplies will cost. Even the Easy Expressions pumping bra is considered a pumping supply and can be purchased with FSA. Also all breastshields, storage bags, bottles, etc! I got 3 sets for work as do not have a place where I can wash and put them to dry that makes me comfortable.

Jumping Bean 08-26-2012 06:42 AM

Also, in my case the office door I pump in has a glass door without lock but I just sit behind a partition and put a sign on the door "IN USE PLEASE DO NOT ENTER", I am the 3rd Pumper that has used this room and no one has ever been known to wall in on someone. So I also think the curtain idea would work. Just have the maintenance people install one for you.