Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   There's yogurt in my bathtub! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430272)

nicolemariep 08-10-2012 12:50 AM

There's yogurt in my bathtub!

I have a surplus of milk and I was inspired by the other yogurt thread, so I visited the Bacon in my Pocket website, and gave it a go tonight. My only issue was that I got some scalded milk (brown chunkies :yuck:) that were floating around in the milk. My tiny mesh strainer is MIA (because our kitchen is tiny and if DH doesn't see me use something in awhile he tends to relegate it to some mysterious corner in the garage) so I used a big strainer to get most of it out. Does anyone else have a brown chunky preventative measure?:giggle:

So my yogurt is hanging out in some hot water in the cooler in my bathtub. I'm excited to see how it turns out :lostit:

wyldcat 08-10-2012 03:14 AM

Re: There's yogurt in my bathtub!

Never had brown chunckies in my milk/yoghurt. Sounds like the milk got scorched while heating.

MaBacon 08-10-2012 06:28 AM

I can't wait to hear how it turned out! :) yup sometimes I get chunks, go pick up another mesh strainer or ask DH where he put it. I think sometimes the temp change when I put it in the water bath to cool causes it because there are not chunks when it's on the stove. I've had some in my yogurt before. usually they hang out at the top and when it's firm you can just scoop it out too. eating it won't hurt you either.

nicolemariep 08-10-2012 02:21 PM

It turned out beautiful!!! It's so much creamier and thicker than I ever imagined it would be. I thought that I might want to strain it (with what strainer, I have no idea :giggle:) with some cheesecloth, but we let it set for 8 hours and then put it in the fridge, and it totally doesn't even need to be strained.

I was totally incredulous about the cooler being able to hold the correct temperature of water for long enough, but it worked perfectly. Yogurt making is like 1 part microbiology, 1 part cooking, and 1 part pure magic! I haven't tried it yet (I promised my boys we'd all have a bowl together when they woke up from nap), but I'm expecting it to be creamy and tart (we omitted the sugar and vanilla and used plain starter because my family is strange and likes plain yogurt).
I feel strangely empowered by my yogurt making experience :giggle2:

nicolemariep 08-10-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaBacon (Post 15525116)
I can't wait to hear how it turned out! :) yup sometimes I get chunks, go pick up another mesh strainer or ask DH where he put it. I think sometimes the temp change when I put it in the water bath to cool causes it because there are not chunks when it's on the stove. I've had some in my yogurt before. usually they hang out at the top and when it's firm you can just scoop it out too. eating it won't hurt you either.

And I just followed your siggy and realized that it's your blog I got the directions from! Lovely blog! :mrgreen:

MaBacon 08-12-2012 05:48 AM

:giggle:
Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolemariep (Post 15527220)
And I just followed your siggy and realized that it's your blog I got the directions from! Lovely blog! :mrgreen:

Bhavana 08-14-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaBacon (Post 15525116)
I can't wait to hear how it turned out! :) yup sometimes I get chunks, go pick up another mesh strainer or ask DH where he put it.

Hi mamas!

Mabacon, I couldnt resist going into your blog and read up on your Mamayogurt making sessions :thumbsup:

I just wanted to chime in that your strawberry yogurt separated because strawberries have ascorbic acid (Vit C) and when you add anything sour to milk, it splits. Infact that's how we make Paneer (Indian cottage cheese)-we squeeze lemon juice into hot milk and it separates.

What you could've done to rescue your strawberry yogurt was straining the water out and running the thicker leftovers through the blender for a yogurt-shake!