Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   crawling and bedsharing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430301)

sofiamama 08-10-2012 07:44 AM

crawling and bedsharing?

Hi! I've had the following on my mind for several weeks now. My DD is about to start crawling (she can crawl backwards already) and we bedshare with her... any safety tips as to how we can continue to do so safely? Other than lowering mattress to the floor (dh is 6'5" and would find that very uncomfortable) thanks everyone!

mom2LBJ 08-10-2012 07:47 AM

Re: crawling and bedsharing?

safety > uncomfortable, or just put a second mattress on the floor for you and her to sleep on.

AnimalHouse 08-10-2012 07:49 AM

You can use bedrails, just make sure they're high enough to stop your LO from crawling over.

anniep78 08-10-2012 07:51 AM

We have bed rails but I'm also a very light sleeper while bed sharing and wake up before she's awake enough to start crawling.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

northknoxmomma 08-10-2012 08:31 AM

I think the most important thing (other than bed rails) is to teach her to safely get off the bed by herself. You should start as soon as she is mobile. And it never hurts to put pillows down on the floor around the bed. But all of mine have picked up very quickly on how to get off the bed safely by themselves.

And I actually put pool noodles under the mattress pad/ sheets against the bed rails so there is not a gap. GL mama!

bluedaisyma 08-10-2012 09:09 AM

I put pillows on the floor or used a body pillow as a bedrail while they were napping. Our mattress is on boxsprings and my DH is 6'2 and doesn't have a problem. I also teach them how to get off the bed as soon as they start crawling. They don't ever do it though- like when they wake from nap, my babies just call for me or cry.

sojomisa 08-10-2012 09:12 AM

I've used rails with all 4. My first is the only one that's ever fallen off thankfully that bed was really low, and it was only once. They all babble/cry when they wake.

sofiamama 08-10-2012 03:36 PM

when you say using bedrails, you line the whole bed with them?? I have one to prevent her from rolling while she sleeps. but its when she is awake (and she is very quiet when she wakes up) that worries me a bit.

sofiamama 08-10-2012 03:37 PM

and how (i know you can I am just wondering on strategies) do you teach a 7MO to climb off the bed safely?

anniep78 08-10-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofiamama
and how (i know you can I am just wondering on strategies) do you teach a 7MO to climb off the bed safely?

I just play a game by turning her around and showing her how to get down over and over, she thinks it's fun and caught on very quick!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum