Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   When does the pain go away? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430315)

kaia.aline 08-10-2012 07:21 AM

When does the pain go away?

My dd is 8days old and has not been able to empty my breasts fully... There are a few hard spots on each breast that don't really go away after a feed plus I fill up super fast so for the most part I'm in a fair amount of pain with these bad boys. I'm trying not to pump (although I have had to a few times just so I don't die) because I know that will tell my body to keep making this much milk. It's almost laughable that just a few days ago I was crying bc I didn't have any milk and dd was hungry since apparently now I could feed all of Texas.

I really don't like nursing right now, it's like a chore that I have to do to relieve the pain. Everyone I know loves breastfeeding and acts like it's such an amazing bonding experience but I don't get that and it makes me feel sad for the bonding that could happen but isn't :(

Djrose 08-10-2012 07:46 AM

Re: When does the pain go away?

Hang in there momma! Your milk supply is still adjusting. I never got engorged with my 1st but with my second I stayed engorged for almost 3 weeks. And leaked CONSTANTLY. DD is now almost 11wks old and some days I am still engorged. Try cold compresses between the feeds as it will help slow the blood flow and help slow down milk production a tiny bit.
your LO will slow down on the nursing and it will no longer feel so much like a choir. Get someone to hold baby and take a nice bath, paint your nails or go grab a coffee. You will feel ALOT better!!
I also had a time where i didn't have that whole awesome "bonding" phenomenon maybe because both of mine ended in c-sections that were unplanned, who really knows but That will also come. It has just started to hit with dd. I think It has taken longer with her then Ds because I felt I never got a break for myself between the 2. You just need to remind yourself that you are doing a WONDERFUL thing for your little one and you are a great mother..
Take a little time for yourself and you may find that is just what you needed. Hang in there momma and GL

Veg's Dragonflies 08-10-2012 07:51 AM

Just keep trying to feed the baby. Your body is making the milk that your baby's saliva is telling the breast to make. Also check to see if she's tongue tied. She may be getting too tired to drain them. Also, evrytime you get that sensation in your breast, latch her on even if she's asleep.

kaia.aline 08-10-2012 08:06 AM

What does tongue tie look like? And as far as the latching her even when she sleeping I've tried but how do I get her to actually suck?

EmilyDan 08-10-2012 08:14 AM

I'm no help on the engorgement, but I wanted to encourage you on the bonding thing. My daughter is five months old and I've never felt that magical bonding experience. I felt like there was something wrong with me because I didn't. I still struggle with that some, but I've come to the conclusion that not everyone bonds through breastfeeding. Some parents bond through holding their child or playing with their child or rocking their child. Dads manage to bond without breastfeeding. Moms can too. And just because you don't feel that magical bonding experience doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. Think of it this way: breastfeeding is feeding your child. Feeding your child is obviously important, but it doesn't have to be a magical bonding experience. No one goes on and on about the magical bonding they feel when they make a pb & j and carrot sticks for their toddler's lunch. If you do end up feeling that bond through breastfeeding, great! If not, do not worry about it. You can still breastfeed and you're not doing it wrong. Breastfeeding has been tough for me, and it's something I've done for the sake of my daughter despite how much I dislike it. You're not the only one who feels like it's a chore. I'm guessing there are lots of women out there who don't feel the magical bond when they breastfeed and don't really enjoy it, but do it anyway for their baby. It's just that those moms who love breastfeeding and have an awesome bond through it are the most vocal.

Hang in there - you're doing just fine!

ETA - In some ways, I think breastfeeding advocates who go on and on about what a wonderful bonding experience breastfeeding is do a disservice to women who don't feel that bond through breastfeeding. They get discouraged and feel like they're doing it wrong (I know I often feel this way), so they give up. It's really unfortunate.

jmoon 08-10-2012 08:25 AM

Hang in there! I did not really start enjoying bfing till my LO was 3 months (due to latch issues and supply issues) It probably won't take that long for you, sounds like you are off to an AWESOME start! Once he got better at nursing, and my supply regulated, I stopped leaking so much, and didn't feel that pain except if I missed a feeding. It gets so much better! For me, having breastfed my lo, and bottle fed my others, the bonding is not just in the nursing! I found sitting down, holding my baby and taking that time to enjoy the cuddles was the bonding experience! Not specifically the breastfeeding. The only difference was that I got to enjoy the cuddles a little longer with a bfing baby. My older ones would hold the bottle and want to be sitting but fairly early, whereas my bf baby had to cuddle with me to get fed! Just keep it up!

Veg's Dragonflies 08-10-2012 08:47 AM

Google imags of tongue tie and see where the tongue won't come out past the bottom gums. My 10 week has a tongue tie and I have had to work with him and the lactaion consultant came to the house and taught me to help latch on. Our ped is against clipping and has good reason. :)

kaia.aline 08-10-2012 09:07 AM

Ok no tongue tie seen, she loves to stick her tongue out so I'm pretty sure I'm not missing it. She so darn sleepy, how do y'all wake your babies to eat?

lilmomma83 08-10-2012 09:08 AM

On my phone and can't type a full explanation, but here's pics of a posterior tongue tie...with this type babies can stick their tongues past their lips a lot of times. These pics ate of my daughter, so if you look and have questions ask! http://birthboobsandbabes.wordpress....-tie-pictures/

lilmomma83 08-10-2012 09:11 AM

There is also a great FB group called "tongue tie babies support" of you think out might be an issuer for you