Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   First day. Lots of tears (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430328)

VinhThiMom 08-10-2012 08:15 AM

This morning was rough. It was the first day of first grade for DS. He's been going to a very small private school since he was an infant through kindergarten. We decided to switch them to public this year for 1st and K for DD (doesn't start for a couple more weeks). DS is mildly autistic and has a lot of anxiety (not medicated). I knew it would be hard for him, but I didn't know how hard it would be for ME. I felt like such an idiot. I saw one tear and I just lost it. The teacher had to get me a tissue. So embarrassing.

Anyway, DS just kept repeating "I don't like school." Over and over. Louder and louder. Then he started crying. Which he HATES doing-it makes him really mad/embarrassed. I told him it's ok to be scared, but he had to give it a chance and he would have fun. He would not say a single thing other than "I don't like school." The special ed teacher was in there and had made a picture map of the day's activities for him. I was able to snap a quick pic when he was looking at that (he hates getting his picture taken). I left in tears and cried all the way to work (45-minute drive). Then I got to my desk and a coworker asked how it went, which made me start crying again. I feel like such a crybaby. I am NOT usually this emotional over kid stuff. But it really broke my heart. I just want to go back and pick him up. :cry:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...2/1f7155bd.jpg

VinhThiMom 08-10-2012 08:17 AM

Re: First day. Lots of tears

I've already emailed his teacher to ask how he's doing. :hide: I know she may not respond until after school. He's going straight to his after-care program, so I won't get to talk to her today.

pumkinsmommy 08-10-2012 08:52 AM

:hugs: That would be so hard for me also. When I took my daughter to her first day of pre-school 3 years ago she was fine when I left. When I got back she looked so surprised to see me and said, "mommy you came back!". I thought I had gone over with her that I was coming to get her after lunch. It killed me to think that for 3 hours she thought I wasn't coming back.

I hope your little guy has a good day, and mommy too.:hugs:

Bear Family 08-10-2012 09:24 AM

I feel ya! When my daughter started K I was a mess. She was fine, was all 'bye mom' no issues, I however was not, I had taken the first 2 days off work thinking that I would need to be there for her and bla bla, nope, I cried, literally for 2 days while she was at school. I couldn't leave the classroom, I couldn't bring myself to move, if someone looked at me I would start crying. I finally ended up leaving, but I was the last one to go it was bad. She just recently left for summer camp and I had the mom of the girl she was going with take them to the bus, I knew it would be the same. I went to work that day and just like you, somone asked how the send off was and I just started crying, I creid all damn day it felt like. I am such a baby!

Nerissa 08-10-2012 11:06 AM

I feel for you. DS1 startd K on the 22nd. I cry just thinking about it.

VinhThiMom 08-10-2012 11:35 AM

DD starts K on the 24th. Well, she'll actually go one day before then, but we're not sure which day yet. They split the class in quarters for the first day. I think she'll do great, though. I may not even cry! It's seeing him so scared and upset that got to me. If they're ok, I'm ok. I think. I mean, they've been going to daycare since they were babies, so I'm used to being away from them all day. But this...this was hard. I've emailed his teacher and the special ed teacher to check in. I hope everything is going ok. I haven't gotten a phone call yet, so that's a good sign.

luvsviola 08-10-2012 03:50 PM

Hugs mama--his desk is adorable. Looks like he has a great sped teacher!

escapethevillage 08-10-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15527572)
Hugs mama--his desk is adorable. Looks like he has a great sped teacher!

I was thinking that too! I'm not his mom, but i'm kind of excited for him.

How did the rest of his day go?

VinhThiMom 08-10-2012 04:56 PM

He did great!! His teacher said he was not upset at all. AND he made a friend! I'm so excited for him!

Umm_Ibraheem 08-10-2012 04:59 PM

awww :hugs: I haven't been there yet as my kiddos are so young but I think I'll cry if I see them cry or upset too.