Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   For those that use Ferber during naptime. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430379)

MamaLump 08-10-2012 10:49 AM

For those that use Ferber during naptime.

If your child is talking and playing after the allotted time do you go in and lay them down, or just leave them alone? I know the idea is to assure them that you haven't abandoned them, but if they aren't crying (but clearly not sleeping either) do you go in?

Nerissa 08-10-2012 10:56 AM

Re: For those that use Ferber during naptime.

I have no idea what the Ferber method is but if I lay my kiddos down for a nap in their crib and they are happy, content and babbling to them selves/playig with thier toes whatever I leave them in there and let them be. Sometimes it takes them longer to fall asleep.

If they fuss longer than a minute and the fussing gets worse and turns to crying I go in and comfort and check to see if they need a new diapers. Sometiems they just need a few extra snuggles to settle down.

hpfgirl 08-10-2012 10:59 AM

As long as he's "resting" I don't bother him. I have gone in and found him poopy though, so sometimes it's worth it to check in on him. That was before potty training. Now, it might be that he's holding it and can't go to sleep. I offer to take him potty if he doesn't go to sleep in 10-15 minutes.

babylove921 08-10-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaLump
If your child is talking and playing after the allotted time do you go in and lay them down, or just leave them alone? I know the idea is to assure them that you haven't abandoned them, but if they aren't crying (but clearly not sleeping either) do you go in?

This was my DS1 this morning. He woke up at 7:15/20 this morning. I usually lay him down 3-3 1/2 hours after waking up. So normally 10:30/11. He talked and played till 11:30 when I went in and gave him a drink and took the book out of his crib and he went to sleep. I usually give him 30/45 minutes then I'll get him a drink, a clean diaper and turn his music back on.

babylove921 08-10-2012 11:18 AM

DP..

MamaLump 08-10-2012 12:37 PM

Well, I didn't go in and he eventually went to sleep. I feel so bad for having to do this, but I did try and nurse him down first. He just nursed for 20 minutes and then tried to get up and play. Unless I wanted to battle with him to keep him in bed (which he thinks is a really fun game), I feel like this was the only alternative. He really only fussed minimally. He did read himself books for a long time though. Each time I went in (twice) the "hardest" (I put it in quotes because for him it really wasn't very hard) was right as I was leaving. Within a couple minutes he was back to playing.

hpfgirl 08-10-2012 01:20 PM

Great job! He's learning to put himself to sleep, but he knows you'll come if he really needs you.

escapethevillage 08-10-2012 01:28 PM

Naa.. I never go in unless they are keeping others awake. I just want them to rest, not necessarily sleep.

I do the ferber thing if they are crying though. I haven't had a baby who resisted nap time in a long time though.

escapethevillage 08-10-2012 01:28 PM

What is with all my double posts?

doodah 08-10-2012 09:58 PM

Dont feel that you always have to be doing something for your child. He will let you know if he needs something. A good skill to have when parenting is to know when to step back and NOT do anything....which sounds like the thing to do in this case.

If the Ferber method is not feeling right to you, you might consider pick-up-put-down as outlined in the Baby Whisperer books (I know there is always a pretty active online group from what I have heard, but I only used the books) and I find this method to be a good option in between CIO/Ferber methods and the opposite of holding/nursing/co-sleeping. I only mention this because you seemed like you might be open to another idea. Even with this method though, you dont do anything if the baby is just babbling and awake.