Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Corporal punishment in school (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430400)

VinhThiMom 08-10-2012 11:39 AM

Corporal punishment in school

I didn't realize they still did this. :headscratch: I guess they do in TN. It's in the handbook, plus I had to sign a consent form. I checked the box for 'do not paddle my child under any circumstances. I will come to the school immediately when called.' He's autistic with anxiety. It would cause a HUGE issue if he were spanked. Though I'll be checking the same box for my neurotypical DD, too. I was just surprised they still paddle kids in school. I don't have an issue with spankers, though we don't do that (anymore-my views have changed over the years), but I'd never let someone else touch my child. I do remember being spanked in 1st grade. It was humiliating.

thoennes6 08-10-2012 11:47 AM

Re: Corporal punishment in school

Wow I didn't realize that was still done. No way I would allow the school or anyone else to spank my child.

kaia.aline 08-10-2012 11:50 AM

It's still legal here in Texas but it's AGAINST most school districts policies. You typically see it in the small town schools and parents normally have to sign a waiver.

TooBusyBearcubs 08-10-2012 12:14 PM

I was not aware that it was still legal in TN, either! We're planning on homeschooling our kids, but I'm all over this now. What county are you in, mama? Our county unanimously abolished paddling in 2002. It looks like most school districts have abolished corporal punishment at this point. Here is how I know: http://forkidsake.org/leader.html#nashville
One article I saw said that SN kids tend to receive it more often than neurotypical, so I would be very very watchful if I were in your shoes (not that you wouldn't be anyway). I would never give any school permission to lay a finger on my child as disciplinary action. If you think it might become a problem, are you close enough to another district to request a switch?

VinhThiMom 08-10-2012 12:20 PM

My county (Rutherford) is not on there. If they paddle him (especially with autism/anxiety and AFTER I signed a form stating they were not allowed), then I will sue them and have them pay for him to go back to private school. I would think diagnosed SN kids would be LESS likely to be spanked, even though they have more behavioral issues. Because it's due to a neurological defect. That really scares me. What scares me more is I don't think he would tell us if it happens. Anytime I try to find out how his day went, all I get is a grunt or 'I don't have to tell you.' Even on days with field trips where I KNOW he had fun. It's so frustrating.

Umm_Ibraheem 08-10-2012 12:23 PM

they do WHAT?! No way!

TooBusyBearcubs 08-10-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinhThiMom (Post 15526677)
My county (Rutherford) is not on there. If they paddle him (especially with autism/anxiety and AFTER I signed a form stating they were not allowed), then I will sue them and have them pay for him to go back to private school. I would think diagnosed SN kids would be LESS likely to be spanked, even though they have more behavioral issues. Because it's due to a neurological defect. That really scares me. What scares me more is I don't think he would tell us if it happens. Anytime I try to find out how his day went, all I get is a grunt or 'I don't have to tell you.' Even on days with field trips where I KNOW he had fun. It's so frustrating.

We're moving back to Rutherford Co. next month! We should hang out sometime. :goodvibes:
I don't have a SN child (at this point), but I have friends who do, and I know communication is one of the most challenging aspects. :hugs:
It looks like the Murf district has abolished it, so hopefully the districts around them have followed their example. Have you had a chance to talk to other moms at the school? Is there anyone you can ask about this particular issue?

VinhThiMom 08-10-2012 12:36 PM

I didn't think to even mention it, since I signed the form saying 'do not spank.' It shouldn't be an issue. I did notice M'boro city schools abolished it. What area are you moving to? PM me.

jbug_4 08-10-2012 01:18 PM

My high school did it after parents signed consent forms. They may have done it in middle school too, but I didn't go to middle there. Our high school paddlings were a joke. No body wanted them because it was embarrassing to be seen waiting to be paddled (paddling was done behind closed doors), but the paddling itself was nothing. I never had one, but had friends who did. Girls were paddled by a female coach and the boys by the principal. There were witnesses- a teacher, receptionist, nurse, whoever was available. And never an accidental paddling since like almost any form of punishment- suspension, detention, etc parents were notified and given the chance to rescind previous paddling consent. It was never hard, a few people said it stung a little, but most just thought it felt like a small whack. It was definitely more about the embarrassment than corporal punishment. And believe it or not at the high school level- those whose parents had given permission went out of their way to avoid getting paddled. I don't support it, but its not as bad as it sounds (at least not at my high school) Mine was in SC and I graduated some time ago, but I believe they still paddle.

monkeymama07 08-10-2012 01:39 PM

umm.. yeah so NOT cool... my child would not be going there whether I could opt out or not he would still be exposed to knowledge that people at his school hit children and to me thats NOT okay