Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Livid. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430598)

earthflower 08-10-2012 08:12 PM

Livid.

My 8 yo ds has been in kung fu for almost a year and has his yellow belt and it has been really good for him. Today however he started crying on the ride home and said he got in trouble because he yawned. It was 106 degrees outside so I am sure the heat is why he yawned. The instructor pushed him,
hard enough that he went down on the floor and then the instructor hit him w/ his kick pad. I wasn't there when this happened, I dropped him off and went to farmers market. This instructor only teaches on Fridays, so I told ds he doesn't have to go on Fridays anymore, since he goes Monday and Wednessday as well. Ds loves kung fu and doesn't want to quit but I am sick to my stomach. I am going into the class to talk to someone about this. :yuck:

Palooka 08-10-2012 08:18 PM

Re: Livid.

Wow. I would freak the freak out.:whip: I don't care if it's a fighting sport, another adult doesn't touch my kid when disciplining.

remrath 08-10-2012 08:47 PM

not ok
nak

Connor 08-10-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
Wow. I would freak the freak out.:whip: I don't care if it's a fighting sport, another adult doesn't touch my kid when disciplining.

I agree. He could have asked for 20 pushups, etc. He had no right to do that.

Leanbh 08-10-2012 08:52 PM

Well I wouldn't be happy, but I do think that's part of the "sport". I just know from our Tae Kwon Do if a child yawned/didn't pay attention, they would certainly bring attention to it, maybe ask them to do some push ups etc since they are "bored". I don't agree with pushing down and what happened, but I can definately see it happen. When you sign up for marital arts, it's definately a very different approach to most other sports. Our instructors keep them in line, but crack some humor too esp if the child seems afraid or upset saying they want them to have fun too.

Is there another parent who you know that was present? I have an 8 yr old and his version can be different to the actual version sometimes.

Also, sometimes kids that age get embarressed more so about an event. I know my 8 yr old refused to go down a water slide at our local pool as a lifeguard yelled at him for coming down backwards. I had to push him to go back and said, well now he knows that he can't do that, so it won't be a problem again.

Leanbh 08-10-2012 08:53 PM

When I say part of the sport, I don't mean pushing him and hitting him is ok, but I know they are VERY strict and often physical - but from what I've seen it's in a non harmful way physically.

earthflower 08-10-2012 09:46 PM

I am not surprised that he was disciplined, I just think it was over the top. He was already down on the ground from being pushed and I think the instructor got carried away by hitting him with the kicking mat, its like kicking a dog when they are down.

luvsviola 08-10-2012 09:57 PM

I'm going to bet there is more to the story. I would go and ask to meet with instructor and the head of the school to get to the bottom of it. I am going to bet that if it is true, the instructor is going to be reprimanded/fired, and if there was more to the story, you probably want to know the rest too.

DD is in karate, and I can't imagine anyone at our dojo treating a child that way.

hmurrant 08-10-2012 10:13 PM

I agree with the previous poster - I'd want to know the whole story either way, either just to know that even though events upset my child they really weren't as dramatic as they recalled, or if things really happened exactly as he described, I'd have to say either the instructor would be 'set straight' or I'd be out of there.... no child deserves that sort of treatment for a yawn, martial arts class or not.

earthflower 08-10-2012 10:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your advise, I will def listen to what they have to say!