Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Those who go to chiro for their kids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430679)

jeebee 08-11-2012 07:21 AM

Those who go to chiro for their kids

For those whose kids see a chiropractor, do you feel it really works? I believe it is helpful for some things (for eg I had a numb patch on my leg, chiro worked wonders to release those nerves). I have heard many people swear blind that chiro really helps their kids with various things. I have taken my one daughter twice, because she's two and cranky, lol. I would take the 4yo but she is non-cooperative with things like that so I don't bother to waste the money. The chiro always says her neck is 'out'. I just wonder if that is what they tell everybody (I am sure it would be since that is their business), and if it really does anything. I haven't noticed any difference after she's manipulated her.

I am also interested to know if there is any real medical evidence for chiropractic care in kids?

hunter'smom 08-11-2012 08:01 AM

It worked well for DS. Although we took him because he had hip dysplasia and we were trying to prevent him from needing it surgically repaired. He's been going since he was 5 months, he's now almost 3.5 years

qsefthuko 08-11-2012 08:17 AM

Re: Those who go to chiro for their kids

I took my older son when he was about a week old. He was injured really badly during delivery despite being delivered via c-section. He was in a lot of pain. Nursing was causing more pain for him. I was on the verge of getting formula and a bottle and then probably taking him back to the hospital. He wouldn't even finnish the 1/2 an ounce I had managed to pump. I had to work hard to get him to eat at all.

Before even leaving the chiropractors office he was demanding to eat for the first time since we had left the hospital to begin with. We went back 2 more times after that. Instead of formula or hospital IVs as I had feared we went on to nurse for nearly 4 years.

Prior to that visit I had no opinion either way concerning chiropractors. It was a visit of desperation. A last stop before formula and the hospital. My nb only woke to eat if I woke him up and then only stayed awake a few minutes. He had even stopped crying. He wore the same diaper for the whole day and it was totally dry. I honestly didn't think the chiro could help us at all. When we left we had a totally different baby. It was day and night difference. Now I swear by them having seen them effect a change so drastic in my lo

We used them again when my son started having seizures and also when he had trouble with gagging and vomiting with solids. He outgrew the seizures although he may have done that anyway so I don't know if it was the chiro or not. For his gagging and vomiting I do think the chiro made a difference. This time it did take a few weeks to see some changes.

CountryChicMama 08-11-2012 08:20 AM

I take my 4yo, 2.5yo and 4mo and I believe it works. My chiro has been able to tell me that my infant favors a breast and which one it is based on the misalignment of his atlas. The most significant difference I noticed just recently was in my 4yo. He'd had a junky cough for 5 weeks. We'd been to the Ped, who said it was just allergies (he's on Claritin) and then after a bad coughing episode one night, we went to Urgent Care who also said allergies and gave us an inhaler for any possible future episodes. The next week we went to the chiro (who I honestly should have went to earlier) and they said his back was really off. His adjustment was on Monday and his coughing subsided by Wednesday. He went from a junky cough sporadically during the day for 6 weeks to nothing. I started going when I was pregnant w/ DS2 and I definitely contribute the chiropractic care to the smooth VBAC birth of my 9.8lb baby.

We normally go every two weeks. If my kids are in good health, I normally don't see a difference; I just look at it as a preventative measure. :thumbsup:

z2akids 08-11-2012 09:03 AM

See, this whole - we see the chiro every 2 weeks thing is what gets me. If someone said that they went to their doctor every two weeks as preventative care, people here would be up in arms over the quack doctor who was just gouging your for $$. Yet, people see nothing wrong with going to the chiro every 2 weeks for the same reason.

I have never looked into research on the actual effectiveness of chiros. I personally had some back problems. Tried the chiro for a bit and would get a little temporary relief (that's with going 2+ x a week). Well, our insurance changed, so I switched to a physical therapist and within several weeks or working on specific exercises and treatments, my bask issue was cleared up entirely and I haven't been back to either the PT or the chiro. I do periodically do the exercises that the PT gave me.

MariaLA 08-11-2012 09:23 AM

My son was born out of alignment. He had limited range of motion in his neck and his head was always tilted a certain way. So we did 4 chiro visits between 3 weeks and 3 months and he had full range of motion and held his head straight on.

When I was pregnant with both kids, routine chiro kept my hip and back pain under control. I woke up recently with a big crick in my neck and still haven't regained full range of motion, so I will be going in for probably 3 visits in 2 weeks to get it back.

But I won't commit to unending sessions.

luvsviola 08-11-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2akids (Post 15529754)
See, this whole - we see the chiro every 2 weeks thing is what gets me. If someone said that they went to their doctor every two weeks as preventative care, people here would be up in arms over the quack doctor who was just gouging your for $$. Yet, people see nothing wrong with going to the chiro every 2 weeks for the same reason.

I have always thought the same thing. :)

Michelle_M 08-11-2012 10:27 AM

I take my kids when they are a complaining about random achiness (growing pains) and when their allergies are bothering them.

And yes, I truly believe it helps them. My older two had crazy allergies, and I have been able to take them off of their allergy meds.

And yes, it's normal for their neck to be "out" all the time at this age. Up until last month I personally was going about every 2 weeks, and my neck was always out. And I KNOW it was because I can feel when I need an adjustment, and I can feel the MAJOR difference after an adjustment.

I'll be going next week (I hope), as I know I need it, and I'll take the baby within a week of her being born as well.

God bless!

MamaNae 08-11-2012 10:43 AM

On Wednesday my youngest thought it would be a fantastic idea to jump off of the top bunk. He landed on his feet. I iced his ankle for a while and tried to get him to walk and he wouldn't, just screamed and cried and couldn't bear weight on it. So, of course, we went to the ER. They did X-rays and determined he'd just sprained it (thank God) but he kept limping and was really favoring his hip. I called the ER dr and told him about his hip looking funny (I mentioned it in the ER but the dr blew me off) he again blew me off. Called our Chiro and talked to him, he said to bring DS2 in and he'd have a look-see.

He examined DS2 and said his hip was jammed up about 1/2 an inch causing his leg to be shorter than the other. He adjusted his hips and legs and got him all straightened out. He stumbled a little bit (now that his leg wasn't 1/2 an inch shorter than the other LOL) and hasn't limped since. Despite having (what the ER diagnosed) a 'sprained ankle'. He's had no pain and no swelling and no issues since we left the chiro. Even he said "Hey, Mama! Now I walk good! I can walk!" when before he kept saying "It hurts, my weg hurts! I can't walk."

For general medical care, I don't know...the jury is still out there, this chiro will see DS2 monthly through the winter to combat his recurrent ear infections so we'll see. But I'm so glad I took him in for this injury. The chiro did what the ER dr couldn't, help my son walk again. My daughter also sees him for alignment issues because she has scoliosis.

We haven't taken DS1 in yet, I probably should just to see. My chiro only sees kids every 4-6 weeks, we just go once a month. Their insurance covers it.

CountryChicMama 08-11-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2akids (Post 15529754)

I have never looked into research on the actual effectiveness of chiros. I personally had some back problems. Tried the chiro for a bit and would get a little temporary relief (that's with going 2+ x a week). Well, our insurance changed, so I switched to a physical therapist and within several weeks or working on specific exercises and treatments, my bask issue was cleared up entirely and I haven't been back to either the PT or the chiro. I do periodically do the exercises that the PT gave me.

Well, I say every two weeks in a perfect world. When I was pregnant, it was every week to keep everything aligned w/ a constantly shifting baby. Now we're lucky to go every 4-6 weeks or so. My chiro charges $1 per year of age for children, so it only costs me $7 for him/her to adjust my kids. If it were $$ we'd definitely limit our visits. Plus, I guess I look at a doctor as someone who treats an illness/disease, whereas I look at the chiro as a means of maintaining a healthy, functioning body/immune system in combination w/ diet and exercise.