Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Clogged duct & mastitis (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430729)

mercyscreation 08-11-2012 10:26 AM

Clogged duct & mastitis

About 3 weeks ago I got a severely clogged duct w/signs of mastitis. I never got a fever so didn't have to take any antibiotics and was able, with the help of a lactation consultant, to get the duct to drain. But since then I keep getting the same clogged duct. :banghead: I've had maybe 2-3 days in between the same duct getting clogged and last time I also got a milk blister. I'm so frustrated! My DS is only 3 months and we've had tons of problems with breast feeding! I've sucessfully BF'd my 2 other children for at least a year with no problems! I don't think I can make it another year plus with a clogged duct:cry:

Mystery 08-11-2012 10:39 AM

Re: Clogged duct & mastitis

Lecithin can help prevent plugged ducts. Maybe take it regularly or at least 4 or so days past when you think you have resolved it. Also review the symptoms for thrush or go ahead and treat for it with probiotics. Thrush can increase the risk of plugged ducts. I think I had a mild undiagnosed case with my second baby. I had more cases of plugged ducts or mastitis than I can count. Good luck. I know how painful that can be.

Connor 08-11-2012 10:39 AM

Have you tried nursing in a position where baby's chin is pointed towards the clog? Many women have found lecithin to be helpful for recurring plugged ducts. It helps to make the milk less "sticky" and flow through easier.

wordbox 08-11-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 15530231)
Have you tried nursing in a position where baby's chin is pointed towards the clog? Many women have found lecithin to be helpful for recurring plugged ducts. It helps to make the milk less "sticky" and flow through easier.

This. I had a few clogged ducts with my first child and this made a world of difference. None of them turned into mastitis, I just used warm compresses, massage, and changed up the position. When I pointed his chin toward the clog, I could actually feel a slight "tugging" in that area and I'm convinced it is what really helped things along. And it's a very simple thing to change, too.

mercyscreation 08-11-2012 01:11 PM

He has reflux so I can really only nurse him in an upright tummy to tummy position or laying down together. I have been doing hot compresses too. I have some soy lecithin and have been taking it for 2 days. How much should I take?

Aydinsmom 08-14-2012 08:01 AM

Definitely try lecithin. I take it every day religiously. If I didn't I'd have clogged ducts and mastitis regularly. It works great !

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Aydinsmom 08-14-2012 08:03 AM

Just saw that you asked how much to take. Take 4 of the 1200 mg pills daily. I take two with breakfast and two at dinner. If you have no clogs for a few weeks you can try eliminating a pill. If you have no clogs again, you can try eliminating another.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

marliah 08-14-2012 10:16 AM

I had that happen with my older dd, then I was reading about too tight bras causing mastitis, I ditched the bra and didn't have anymore problems.

Karing2 08-15-2012 05:18 PM

I still have a very small milk blister... I feel your pain. Sorry.

oohcatie 08-16-2012 11:57 AM

I had a plugged duct when DD was 2 months. It was very sore with bright red splotches. Thank goodness no fever. I took hot showers, a lot of massage and tried to nurse with her nose in the direction of the plug. I even nursed on my hands and knees over her a few times. It loosened up in a few days and haven't had problems since.