Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   International (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   What would you bring from the states to Germany in preparation for a new baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430787)

lizxvx 08-11-2012 01:32 PM

What would you bring from the states to Germany in preparation for a new baby?

We're headed to the states at the end of this month for a quick visit and are expecting our first baby in Dec.. What do you wish you would have brought to Germany with you? We don't miss much from home, but I'm sure there's gotta be some stuff we need, wish we had, or will be cheaper stateside.

So far our list is:

-Carseat for our American spec car
-Baby clothes since we will be taking advantage of labor day sales
-Maternity clothes for me

queenginseng 08-12-2012 06:38 AM

Re: What would you bring from the states to Germany in preparation for a new baby?

nursing bras!

cloth diapers?

does your car seat have adaptors for a/your stroller that won't be available in De? britax/isofix might be much cheaper in usa

some airlines don't count a carseat towards luggage, just be aware of tax implications...

lizxvx 08-12-2012 09:37 AM

Re: What would you bring from the states to Germany in preparation for a new baby?

Nursing bras -adding that to the list! Our cloth diaper stash is almost complete so we're good in that area. :thumbsup:

We are planning on buying a Maxi Cosi carseat that will work with our stroller.

trashmuell 08-13-2012 11:45 AM

I recently heard from someone that Always Infinity (Overnight) pads are REALLY nice for after the birth, and you can't get them here. Sure, there are other pads, but for some reason, people swear by the Always Infinity brand (some say they're more absorbent, thin, and more breathable). Might seem silly, but if you have room...it's a thought. (Seriously, the person who told me is a German flight attendant, and she said that every time she went to the states for work, she packed her luggage with these :P)

queenginseng 08-14-2012 07:02 AM

on that note, cloth pads if you are going that route

2+2macht4 08-21-2012 04:27 PM

You need to verify if you can use a US seat on the economy unless you are stationed here it is illegal, police can stop you and prevent you from driving in addition if you have an accident insurance can refuse to pay claims due to use of an illegal seat.

2+2macht4 08-21-2012 04:29 PM

Other items I like:

Side snap t shirts and undershirts from gerber
Baby snacks
oragel
american no spill sippy cups, german ones can be shaken and dumped
Silly squeeze not yet sold in europe
cloth diapers always cheaper

lizxvx 08-22-2012 01:08 AM

Thanks for the info! We've checked out the carseat issue and we're allowed to use an American one given our status over here.

I've been eyeing those Sili Squeeze things, so I now I think I might just have to order one. I almost want one for myself. :giggle2: I'll definitely be adding all those things to my shopping list.

redsonja 08-28-2012 04:52 AM

I actually prefer my German carseat, even in my American car. Price wise there's really no difference, so I'd definately give the German seat a good look to see if you want to bother bringing one back with you.

lizxvx 08-29-2012 05:27 AM

I just re-checked the prices on the car seat that we were planning on buying. It originally was way more expensive here than in the states, but now it is on sale and is cheaper in Germany. :lostit: One less thing to worry about! :thumbsup: Thanks ladies!