Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Introducing Sippy Cup... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430840)

jlsquire0324 08-11-2012 04:31 PM

Introducing Sippy Cup...

DD is almost 9 months. She has had a Sippy cup for about 2 months. She thinks it's fun to play with, and puts her mouth on it because well she does that to everything :giggle: I have only put water in it, and when she gets a gulp of water .. She spits it and/or pushes her cup away. My plan is to wean off bottle/formula at one year and move to Sippy/whole milk. Any suggestions to get her to love her Sippy? Is she still too little and just keep trying? TIA!!

Rdesonia 08-11-2012 10:27 PM

Re: Introducing Sippy Cup...

Just keep trying... Also try different kinds. I bought a bunch of soft silicone kind... DD chewed and spit. I gave her a cheapo take and toss... She drinks from them like a champ. (I could have saved myself a lot of $$ if I had known she just wanted the cheapos! )

hbee 08-12-2012 12:52 PM

I started with a playtex training one with a straw that let you squeeze the bottom so that you could force liquid up the straw. So, she can sort of drink out of a straw. Last week, she suddenly was a champ at regular sippy cups. She's 10.5 months, and I'm hoping to have her at least mostly off the bottle at a year too. Maybe your DD will just suddenly understand them too. Although, Ivy isn't great at holding it herself yet, she doesn't quite understand the whole tip it back thing... so she still needs help, but she can suck the liquid out!

Also, I started giving her 1/3 juice, 2/3 water so that it would be tastier than formula and that helped her get more interested too. She's not to the place where I could sub out a bottle, she doesn't drink a ton yet.

gsxr_mama 08-13-2012 01:52 PM

Not too young at all. All my 3 kids started at about 4 months old. If you just introduced it then it is your baby is still figuring it out. I started early to give my babies a long time to figure it out.

My 9 month old can now drink out of different types of sippy cups, some better than others. He still spits out water when he doesn't want it. It is like he is playing with it.

I would second ont he suggestion of trying different ones, some kids like certain types better. I would get some with straws, some with a silicone tip and some with a hard tip.

Msheidiann 08-13-2012 03:48 PM

My LO hates regular sippy cups. He pushes them away. I attempted it many times with a variety of kinds. Then I tried a straw cup and he figured it out immediately! We started with a Zoli-bot. Now he can do any of them (he's 11 months). He can sort of drink out of mommy or daddy's cup, as well as a water bottle.

Kshende 08-27-2012 12:48 PM

My son (9 months) does the same thing. We have tried a sippy and one with a straw. He won't take either. He does drink from a regular cup (with us holding it) just fine! I have a feeling we won't even need the sippys we bought

raymark 08-27-2012 12:53 PM

My girls figured out straws before they could do sippy cups.

katherineemmons 09-06-2012 09:24 AM

I had no problems with my DS and sippys but my DD is doing the same thing described in the OP. I have a tommee tippee cup and she will chew on it and hold it but will not drink out of it. I think I have to buy a different kind but am reluctant to have that one not work as well. She is about 9 1/2 months by this time my son was drinking out of a sippy proficiently.

kaysmomma 09-13-2012 10:45 AM

My DD is 11 months and shes just now getting the hang of it. She prefers the cheap plastic nuby cups. I did have to put a little juice in with the water to get her to drink out of it though, with just plain water she'd take a drink and throw the cup. I haven't tried a straw cup yet but I keep hearing a lot of people say their babies took them better. Good luck!

laura1982 09-13-2012 02:11 PM

I have one of those Playtex straw ones too, but I end up squirting her in the face. :( We'll both need to keep trying.