Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anyone training for a 1/2 or full marathon? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430936)

d_arnold 08-11-2012 08:51 PM

Anyone training for a 1/2 or full marathon?

I had never run a day in my life but after I had DD I really wanted to challenge myself. I started and completed the C25k program and loved it. One of my good friends suggested I try to train for the 1/2 marathon. At first I thought she was crazy but after thinking it over for a couple weeks I decided to sign up. So last April I ran and completed my first 1/2 marathon. It was hard and I was sore for a few days but it was an amazing experience!

Since then I've still been running but haven't been in "training mode". I've been doing 4 miles 2x/wk. I'm considering running a different 1/2 in Nov but haven't signed up yet.

Is anyone else training? If so, can you share your training plan?

irisheyes 08-11-2012 09:04 PM

Re: Anyone training for a 1/2 or full marathon?

YES! I decided to do a half marathon this fall (back in May). SO I have been gradually working myself up mileage wise and got to the 8 mile mark within the first 6 weeks. I was running 5x per week then, BOOM I got very sick and was not able to run for 2.5 weeks it ended up it was Lyme's disease. UGH. I am just trying to do my old workout schedule and just walking as my strength, and energy is really low. Partly that is probably due to the medication (doxacycline) and partly due to the infection. All thsi said, I do not regret all that work and will get back to it hopefully this week. I may not end up running the 1/2 this year but i am definitely training for next year and planning to walk/jog this one coming up in Sept. Ah this crazy life!

I was thinking about starting over using this method by Jeff Galloway,
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

llamabeans 08-15-2012 12:56 AM

Hey!

I was, I still think about doing it but the training is brutal! I was doing Hal Higdons training, I got up to the 10 mile mark and stayed there, figured if I made my long run 10 miles each week (then run 3,3,4,6 miles during the week) I would be good to go for the half that I want to do (feb.)
But, I lost so much weight! I got scared. I started off at 114-115 (I'm 5'6) and the last time I weighed myself I was 108. I love running but I cannot keep up with the caloric demand running that mileage takes!
I've switched it up since then (about a month ago) and now do 12 miles a week with more weight training than I was doing before with training for the half. I've also upped some high calorie foods. I want to build more muscle and have been told doing long runs will be counter productive to this.
I don't want to weight 108. I want to be in the 120's.

I am still undecided. :/

jlsquire0324 08-15-2012 09:13 PM

I am walking a half one month from today. I signed up to run before finding out I was pregnant. So decided that at 6 mos pregnant, my body would probably struggle with just walking. I have had to train a little slower due to my growing body. My training plan is : a 3 mile walk, rest, long walk (increases a mile each week), rest, 4 mile walk, rest, and at least one day of cross training.

jenndoxx 08-15-2012 09:42 PM

I did C25k earlier this year, too, and loved working toward something and I ran a 10K in May and an 8k two weekends ago. I used the C25k podcasts by Suz Franklin and that was so helpful! Some of the music sucked, but it was great having someone in my ear telling me when to run and when to walk. Loved it. Then I used her 5k-to-10k podcasts to work toward the 10k, although I quit using the podcasts at some point so I could listen to my own music.

Then I started using Higdon Novice 1 half program, but have had problems staying on track. The weather was really hot for a while and I can come up with all kinds of excuses, but basically I just wasn't making time for it. I run mostly on the treadmill at the gym right now because of the heat and the free childcare, but I've got a double and single strollers so I can run outdoors as well. Gym or strollers, my kids don't like to cooperate, and I am really good at talking myself out of running. I just need to suck it up and get back on it.

mebl0901 08-16-2012 08:53 PM

I am going to run my first half marathon in December which will be almost a full year from the time I ran my first 5k. I'm going to do the beginner's training plan I found in the Runner's World magazine.

Llamabeans - Oh wow! I wish I had a hard to time keeping weight on, unfortunately I have the opposite problem. I guess I should be running the miles you do! I hope that's not too annoying for you to hear - its just a hard concept for many of us to grasp! ;)

irisheyes 08-17-2012 09:33 PM

If you noticed at the Olympics, the distance runners were all lean and muscular but VERY VERY lean. The sprinter's looked like men with bulging muscles so yes it's just part of the sport of long distance running. Im still trying to get back on track but it was shocking, I lost 30 lbs in just a couple of months. That was perfectly fine by me as I still have Aways to go weight loss wise, LOL.

@jenndoxx Those podcasts sound really cool, where would I tune in?

I'm just finishing up my medication for the Lyme's disease so I'm going to try to get back to running 5x per week again starting this week.

llamabeans 08-18-2012 10:55 AM

Yeah I know it's expected with long distances as you are burning a ton of calories over a constant amount of time, not to mention the "after burn"
But right now I am in the danger zone if you look at things like BMI. I shouldn't have my period etc. I think it's bogus, I get AF every 28 days like clockwork.
I just wish I could bulk up a little (and have boobs) and still run distance.

irisheyes, I couldn't imagine not being able to run. I am sorry. :hugs:

ETA: I just went to the Dr for a persistent ringworm. He was slightly concerned with my weight but then changed his tone when I told him I run long distance.
He said my heart is in extremely good shape (RHR was 47) but I need to keep up on things like calcium for my bones and try to eat as much healthy fat as possible and start a protein shake 2X's a day. Made me feel a little better.

irisheyes 08-18-2012 11:25 AM

Well here's an idea, maybe if you stopped doing long distance for a little while and concentrated on trying to load up on calories while at the same time worked only on speed. So short distances like 100Meters or 400M tops and did weight lifting? Maybe that would let you gain more muscle which would really help you in the long distances when you went back to it. That's good advice from the doctor. Im sure he was thinking that you had eating issues but when he heard you ran...well that explained it. :)

Yes losing all that progress really sucked. Im just hoping I can start over again...

mebl0901 08-18-2012 11:31 AM

I got an email from Runner's World the other day that made me think of this situation. It was talking about how most people think they'll lose tons of weight when they start running but often times experience the exact opposite for various reasons. I have lost almost 30 lbs over the last year but have completely stalled since spring and have actually gained about 5 lbs back. It's so frustrating!! How many miles a day do you typically run, llamabeans?

Speaking of the Olympics, I never saw any of the long distance stuff!! I was so dang disappointed because that was the only thing that I was really interested in. I just kind of assumed it was one of those things they didn't air but did any of you ladies catch it? Like the women's marathon?