Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Selective Vaccine Exemptions? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430967)

UnderTheStars 08-11-2012 10:42 PM

Selective Vaccine Exemptions?

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere here, but I'm too lazy to keep looking.... DD starts Pre-K on Monday, and it says in her handbook that she is required to get the flu shot and the chickenpox shot. I'm not very happy about that, those are two we have selectively opted out of. However, I live in IL and all I can find is a form for "Religious Exemption" and, well, I doubt they will buy that since we DO selectively vaccinate. Religious exemption to me is an all-or-nothing thing, you're either against them going in to your body or you aren't. Am I overthinking it? Has anyone who selectively vax'd dealt with this before, and do I have any other options?

FYI - I am not here to debate why I have opted out of those two vaccines, only to find out the answer to my specific question. Thank you!

chickabiddy 08-12-2012 07:32 AM

Re: Selective Vaccine Exemptions?

I can't give you a good answer, but I think you could have religious objections to certain vaccines and not others. There are a lot of different things that go into different vaccines and you could be opposed to the ingredients in one and not opposed to the ingredients of another. I can't remember all the issues, but check out the Sears book. He lists all the controversial ingredients.

I don't know if they will question you or not. What does you doctor say? My doctor said she'd help me figure out what I need to do when it comes time for school.

burnsis 08-12-2012 12:29 PM

I'd just submit the religious exemption. They don't have to know that you selectively vaccinate, or what religion you are. Just google to form for your state, have it notarized and submit.

chandni3 08-12-2012 12:31 PM

Do you have to tell them you do the other vaccinations?

pcjs 08-12-2012 12:34 PM

Stop over thinking it and sign the religious exempt and be done with it! We refuse the same to. I don't do them for me so I'd not doing them for my kid (well, maybe later but not now). I just signed the religious exemption form for preschool and its been fine. They will highly suggest it and probably lecture you on why they are right and just say thank you, I will think about your comments but for now we are choosing not to have them done. Our religious exemption was very generic and didn't require an explanation (so that may be easier than yours depending on what it said). :) We don't have to notarize ours.

luvsviola 08-12-2012 03:21 PM

Is it a preschool that takes state or federal money? If so, they have to take the exemption form.

If it is a private preschool that doesn't take government money, they can require them, though most will acknowledge the religious exemption forms.

bluedaisyma 08-12-2012 03:29 PM

do the religious form. ours is very basic, no explanations or details required

smashncakes 08-12-2012 04:02 PM

Do the religious form and don't think anything about it. They don't have to know what vaccines you do/don't do...just give them the exemption form and don't even worry about giving them the vaccination record that you *do* have (that's what I'd do anyway, I'm in Illinois). Our pre-k is in the public school and those things aren't required for us...recommended, yes...but not required. They "require" the chicken pox for kindergarten and recommend the flu shot in our school for K as well.

UnderTheStars 08-12-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks everyone! We already submitted her current vaccination record when we turned in her physical form so they do know what she has had and what she hasn't. So should I still just fill out the religious exemption and turn it in too?

She is going in to pre-k at the public school and those 2 vax are listed as "required".

pcjs 08-12-2012 10:34 PM

Just wait until they ask for it at this point. I just turn my in with a copy of the regular forms. We are at a new preschool so I'm not sure what they will say but I am far more worried about meningitis than chicken pox given where the preschool is!