Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What age did you start . . . (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1431)

stacim 04-26-2006 08:18 AM

What age did you start . . .

feeding your baby solids?

We started solids with our other three somewhere in the 5-6 month range (if memory serves me right, which sometimes it's been known to fail :D ). I have been considering delaying solids with #4, and was just wondering what others have done and why. Main reason is because he seems to be exhibiting signs of having some allergy issues/sensitivities.

Staci

Jaz_Trio 04-26-2006 08:21 AM

Re: What age did you start . . .

With Aubrey we listened to the doctors and actually put rice cereal in her bottles, she had reflux really bad, at 8 weeks old old. :( We did not start spoon feeding her till she was 4ish months old...again :(

With Zachary, I did not start till he was 7-8 months old, though he did not like the spoon, so we went right to finger stuff! :)

Proverbs169 04-26-2006 08:50 AM

We started with Allison at 4 months, and with Selah we waited until she was about 6.5 months old before giving her anything. I am not sure when we will begin giving Brookie solids. At the earliest, 6 months.

Shaineinok 04-26-2006 08:55 AM

I started at 6m but both mine had very little interest until 9 or 10m.

newuanda 04-26-2006 08:55 AM

We tried rice cereal first at 6 months - but then he hated eating anything but milk, so we really didn't start feeding him solids till 7 1/2 months. Doctors tried to push it but what are you to do when your kid is screaming and gaggin on food? He just wasn't ready.

OneFabMama 04-26-2006 09:18 AM

We started at 4 months almost exactly. Which, in a way I regret. She ate it, liked it, pracitcally gobbled it up. So I do think maybe she was ready for it.
However, I was SO SO SO SO SO pushed into doing it. We were living with DHs family and every day since the day she turned 2 mo. old I got "When does she get to eat REAL food?" which made me sad because I was BFing and they made it seem like that wasnt enough to satisfy her. I got "give her applesauce" almost every day. So, just to shut them up I gave in and I started to believe maybe my milk wasnt enough.

:(

So thats my story LOL

Go with your gut. I knew someone who gave her baby carrots (baby food) and such at barely 2 months old? :confused:

wbkt8 04-26-2006 09:28 AM

i started offering dd solids around 6-6.5 months but in a very lacksadaisical way - like once a week or so. she showed absolutely zero interest until pretty close to 8-9 months. about that time she started trying finger foods and that was more popular with her. she's very gradually started eating more solids until now (at 19 months) we have some days where it's about 50-50 solids & bf but there are still days she's not into solids much.

we also decided to skip the cereals (particularly rice) until later. early on i tried sweet potatos, avocado, and apple(sauce) mainly. i've heard a lot of arguments that rice cereal isn't really a great place to start - my favorite resources for stuff on food are Kellymom and Wholesome BabyFood

i think if you have reason to think your child might be sensitive to foods/not ready - don't rush it...they will eventually come around. offer them tastes in a totally non-pushy way - they'll take them when they're ready and it's not like you can make them eat it if they don't want to.

allycat 04-26-2006 09:29 AM

I've heard really good things about delaying solids. I fed my son little things here and there, but not meals around 6 months. But I really held off and didn't feed him actual meals until 1 year. I bf him until 15 months, and he had the most trouble with food allergies and gastric reflux. My other 3 I started solids around 5-6 months feeding reg. meals and bf. I don't know what the best thing to do it. I think waiting is still best.

redheadedangels 04-26-2006 09:43 AM

i tried to start baby cereal at around 6mths...i tried it off and on but she would have nothing to do with it. Then i tried some pureed babyfood (homemade) and she wanted nothing to do with that as well. So around 9mths she would eat some finger foods ~ like soft cooked carrots, peas, bread...stuff like that. She still does not like soft foods ~ even mashed potatoes! the girl is Weird! :D

GrowingUpMad 04-26-2006 09:58 AM

With our "big eater" (#1) we started cereal at 2 months, babay food at 4 months, table food at 6 months. It worked great, no allergies and he had no problem with a spoon. With our "muncher" (#2) we started cereal at 4 months, baby food at 6 months and table foods at 9 months. She didn't have much interest in food and wasn't to great with a spoon. We never add cereal to a bottle.

My dd (#2) also has the "texture" issue with things like mashed potatoes, jello, pudding, oatmeal whiole she has gotten better she is 3 1/2 and still won't eat most "soft" foods.