Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   blocked tear duct in a 6 mth old..what to do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1431039)

solarbabies 08-12-2012 09:14 AM

blocked tear duct in a 6 mth old..what to do?

My ds id 6.5 mths old. He had blocked tear ducts in both eyes until about a mth old then the left resolved itself. But the right is still blocked. When he wakes up in the morning his eye is glued shut by the goo and throughout the day we have to clean goo out of his eye and everyone always says "someone has been crying" because he almost always has tears down his cheek.

The doc was surprised at his 6 mth check that it wasn't cleared yet. He said that by 9 mths it should, if it doesn't we may have to go to an eye doc and do probing.

I was reading about it and some say it is best to do when young because they won't have to put them under for it. But it could resolve itself if we wait...or it could not. I just really don't know what would be the best thing for him. Anyone go through this? Advice?

Crew&West 08-12-2012 09:22 AM

Re: blocked tear duct in a 6 mth old..what to do?

Yep! My ods had to see an eye doc to have it probed at 10-12mo (can't remember but I know it was that age range) because it never resolved itself, and it literally took 15min and it was over. :)

I recommend doing it if it isn't clearing up on it's own. What we went through: you go in they strap them to a board (almost like you would see in an ambulance) they strap their arms, head and legs down. Keep in mind it's for their safety!! He basically takes a long bendable needle and pokes it down into the tear duct and pushes it down so the fluid goes down into his mouth or throat and it's unclogged. :) It was very scary as a parent to watch not knowing what they do! But he was an awesome guy who explained everything and talked as he was doing it. I was there the whole time holding my ods hand and trying to keep him calm (who stays calm though when your strapped down!) And in 3min it was done! It was fast! Then he got a sticker and and a toy and he was done!

Sha-nanagins 08-12-2012 09:52 AM

Do you massage the tear duct every day? That can help it resolve on its own - at least, it did for both my kids.

If not, here's how it works:

At the inner corner of the eye, there's a tiny "bump" - you can feel it. From that point, massage gently down and inward toward the nose five or six strokes, several times a day (maybe right before/after feeding, or diaper changes, and at bath time - just wash your hands first). The pressure of the massage can help open the duct.

It doesn't work for all babies, but it won't hurt to try it.

solarbabies 08-12-2012 09:56 AM

Thanks Laurie....I hope that if we do go in it is that simple and it works!

yeah, we have massaged at least 1x a day for his whole life, and breastmilk in the eye too. I wish it would just go away!

7 for now 08-12-2012 10:13 AM

My now 2 year old had to have hers opened at 9 months. There is no way I would allow it to e done while awake. She also had to have ear tubes at the same time but even if it was jut the probe we still would have used the surgery center and general anesthesia.