Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   caffeine and pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1431487)

casersmama 08-13-2012 11:35 AM

caffeine and pregnancy

What are the recommendations on this?

With my first ds i had one cup of coffee a day. Okay? Not okay?

Ps im addicted to coffee

happysmileylady 08-13-2012 11:38 AM

Re: caffeine and pregnancy

I don't know that there's anything definitive on it. Best I have heard is that it's probably a good idea to cut back, but there's no real hard concrete evidence that it does any harm to you or baby.

paper_girl_76 08-13-2012 11:52 AM

the nurse at my drs office said 1 cup a day was fine.

joeslittlewoman 08-13-2012 11:52 AM

Memory is rough, but I think it is recommended to limit to 200mg (is that the right unit?) or less. There is a correlation between high caffeine consumption and miscarriage, I think.

I still have chocolate once in a while (when the thought doesn't make me want to puke), and the VERY occasional pop. I do fine with decaf coffee because I drink it for the flavor and not the pick-me-up. Coffee makes me cringe right now, though.

Melmonkey 08-13-2012 12:02 PM

I drink 2 cups a day in order to function....drank it with C too.....but then again, I am not a stickler to the rules.....I don't take prenatals either because they irritate my ulcerative colitis....gasp!

AniMommy 08-13-2012 01:39 PM

I just got the pamphlet from my doc yesterday. 1 cup of coffee a day is okay, there were higher limits for tea and coke (for coke it was A LOT more). So it depends on the concentration/amount of caffeine in the beverage.

songbird516 08-13-2012 01:45 PM

I think that something like 8 cups a day is linked to miscarriage; coffee in moderation should be fine.

bcb1961 08-13-2012 02:02 PM

Latest research links caffeine to low birth weight but the guidelines haven't been changed to reflect that.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/11606

This came out when I first got pregnant with DD, I tried to keep caffeine to a minimum during my pregnancy. I changed all my coffee, tea, and sodas to decaf. I didn't limit chocolate though! Each person has to read the research and do whatever you feel comfortable with. The doctor has those pamphlets for the people they know won't do their own research.

Are you addicted for the taste/ritual, or the caffeine? If you feel like you need the caffeine, maybe try half-caf. If not, switch to decaf.

Melmonkey 08-13-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcb1961 (Post 15538714)
Latest research links caffeine to low birth weight but the guidelines haven't been changed to reflect that.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/11606

This came out when I first got pregnant with DD, I tried to keep caffeine to a minimum during my pregnancy. I changed all my coffee, tea, and sodas to decaf. I didn't limit chocolate though! Each person has to read the research and do whatever you feel comfortable with. The doctor has those pamphlets for the people they know won't do their own research.

Are you addicted for the taste/ritual, or the caffeine? If you feel like you need the caffeine, maybe try half-caf. If not, switch to decaf.

good thing I drank those 2 cups of coffee.......because my low birth weight baby was a mere 7lbs15oz:razz:. I would hate to think how big she would have been had I switched to decaf......we all have our vices:giggle:

EmilytheStrange 08-13-2012 03:22 PM

I had intended to have 1 cup a day.

I had lost my interest in my afternoon coffee a month or so ago. And started drinking less and less of my morning coffee over the last month. Didn't taste right, didn't really WANT it. But kept allowing myself to make it even after I got my positive test. Then at week4,day7, I just was done. Didn't want it at all. Couldn't even get myself to drink it. and I LOVE coffee.

Odd thing? My friend who is also pregnant with her 2nd child had the same reaction to coffee. Lost interest in it cold turkey.

I am crazy paranoid about coffee/caffeine since I was born with a congenital spinal defect. Stopped drinking it while TTC DD.

I considered decaf, but the chemicals they use to remove the caffeine seem even more dangerous, so I won't touch it (even though I have halfcaff/decaff kcups - I'm just too paranoid).

So, I would maybe pray that you lose interest in coffee so you don't have to worry about it.

but, research shows that it's the first trimester that's mostly affected by caffeine (while the spine is being grown). If you must drink a cup a day, try to get a ton of extra calcium because the caffeine affects calcium absorption and your baby needs the calcium.

a cup a day should be fine.
I am completely aware that I am overly paranoid about this.