Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   simple lentil soup (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1431490)

tesslouise 08-13-2012 11:40 AM

simple lentil soup

I've Googled and I'm not the only one looking for this but apparently no one has been successful: Does anyone have a clone recipe for Progresso lentil soup? DD loves it and I have lentils, veggie broth, tomato paste, celery, spinach, etc. on hand. But I'd rather not wing it unless I have to. :p

Leah52 08-13-2012 12:44 PM

Re: simple lentil soup

I make lentil soup a lot, haven't had much of the canned stuff but I tell you what my basic recipe is. (sorry, I don't measure anything!)

Cook onion, celery and chopped carrots in a small amount of oil until they soften a little then add a couple of cloves of garlic and cook a few seconds more. Add rinsed lentils and cover with broth/water. Bring to a boil and then cook on low until the lentils are done, about 30 minutes. Add spinach, salt and pepper and any other spices (I like a little cumin) and cook a few more minutes until the spinach is wilted.

Sometimes I add a can of tomatoes before the lentils. A squeeze of lemon into your bowl of soup is really good too.

ETA: I forgot I usually add a bay leaf as well.

pumkinsmommy 08-13-2012 01:07 PM

The progresso is the absolute BEST!! I would love to have a recipe that is similar.

tesslouise 08-13-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy (Post 15538489)
The progresso is the absolute BEST!! I would love to have a recipe that is similar.

Well, I have a can on the counter and the Joy of Cooking open to the lentil soup recipe, so if my experimenting is a success, I'll post it here later this week. :)

pumkinsmommy 08-14-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesslouise (Post 15540513)
Well, I have a can on the counter and the Joy of Cooking open to the lentil soup recipe, so if my experimenting is a success, I'll post it here later this week. :)

Sounds great!!

Almacham 08-15-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah52 (Post 15538368)
I make lentil soup a lot, haven't had much of the canned stuff but I tell you what my basic recipe is. (sorry, I don't measure anything!)

Cook onion, celery and chopped carrots in a small amount of oil until they soften a little then add a couple of cloves of garlic and cook a few seconds more. Add rinsed lentils and cover with broth/water. Bring to a boil and then cook on low until the lentils are done, about 30 minutes. Add spinach, salt and pepper and any other spices (I like a little cumin) and cook a few more minutes until the spinach is wilted.

Sometimes I add a can of tomatoes before the lentils. A squeeze of lemon into your bowl of soup is really good too.

ETA: I forgot I usually add a bay leaf as well.

Sounds yummy!