Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   How much does a months worth of forums cost? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1431506)

Huxley 08-13-2012 12:05 PM

How much does a months worth of forums cost?

I know it's a strange question, but I currently supplement and spend $20 a month on formula (25 when it's not on sale). I want to know approximately what it would cost to feed full time formula. I spend a lot of money on herbs and pills to be able to breastfeed and I want to know how much more money I am spending to breastfeed. Thanks in advance. Also my dd is 4 months.

Hungry Caterpillar 08-13-2012 12:27 PM

Re: How much does a months worth of forums cost?

Well, it's dependent on brand and ounces eaten.

I buy Similac sensitive at at costco where it is least expensive and mix it 30/70 with similac sensitive for spit up which I buy online at best price I can find or in store if I have coupons. I was at $140 a month but if I did Target brand I once figured I could do it for $85 not on sale.

I bet if you called enfamil and similac and told them yyou were considering switching fulltime to formula they would each send you coupons and samples.

okdavis 08-13-2012 03:18 PM

I just stopped supplementing my six-week-old and was concerned about the cost. My husband and I have a Sam's membership and get the club brand, which is between $21 and $24 for 48 ounces (it makes 87 4 oz bottles) depending on the type you get. I budget $75 a month, but I think that will actually get us more than a month unless DS is REALLY hungry.

I know my budget is only for Sam's, but when I was researching making this switch, I heard really good things about their formula and it seemed to fit our budget the best. So far the only difference we've found between Similac and the new formula is that DS gobbles it up a little faster (this might also be because it is less frothy).

I hope this helps.

mommy2sammy 08-13-2012 03:35 PM

We spent about $300 a month for nutramigen. I would say for regular formula you should be able to do $200 if you buy name brand.

Huxley 08-13-2012 04:01 PM

Thanks everyone. It seems as though my herbs and supplements cost the same as formula, so if I can't keep breastfeeding the cost will not send me to the poor house.

burnsis 08-13-2012 04:19 PM

are you taking herbs and supplements to increase supply?

I would suggest stopping the formula supplementing if you want your body to learn how to produce more milk. Every time you give a bottle, it signals your body to make less milk.

And even if the cost would equal out to the same, it is not as good as your milk is straight from the tap...in fact, formula is considered fourth best in terms of infant feeding. Your own milk pumped is second best, followed by someone else's milk pumped in a bottle, and then formula.

mms1972 08-13-2012 06:31 PM

I agree with the previous poster who uses the Sam's club brand...i use their formula as well and i spend at most $80 a month. Plus they have free shipping on it as well.

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum

Msheidiann 08-13-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsis

I would suggest stopping the formula supplementing if you want your body to learn how to produce more milk. Every time you give a bottle, it signals your body to make less milk.

And even if the cost would equal out to the same, it is not as good as your milk is straight from the tap...in fact, formula is considered fourth best in terms of infant feeding. Your own milk pumped is second best, followed by someone else's milk pumped in a bottle, and then formula.

Not the advice the OP was looking for. This is formula feeding SUPPORT, not a place for you to put down using formula.

Sarah-B 08-13-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsis

This^
I completely agree
but do what is best for you and your family :D

neuro_mom 08-13-2012 10:59 PM

I take the herbs and domperidone too and I know it can get expensive. I get fenugreek at Wal-Mart (cheapest I've seen), blessed thistle at Soap.com, and domperidone at inhousepharmacy.biz. If you order something from diapers.com, you will get a coupon in the mail for $10 off purchase at Soap.com. Vitacost.com also sells blessed thistle and has a $10 off code for first time purchase. I was tempted to grow my own goat's rue until I learned that it is an invasive weed. I haven't tried the mother's milk products simply because they seem rather expensive. Extra pumping sessions also helps to increase milk supply.

Agree with the previous poster that you should do what is best for you and your family :)