Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Continuing Past 6 Months. Help!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1432126)

ktbug87 08-14-2012 08:43 PM

Continuing Past 6 Months. Help!!

My nursling is now 6 months old and it has been a LONG ride with nursing. I'm really struggling to continue.

He still nurses every 2 hours and sleeps 11-6. I had to start giving 1-2 bottles a day of formula just to get him to space out his feedings to every 2 hours. Before that it was every 1.5 and up all night long.

Can BTDT moms tell me how and when it is going to change? Do the amount of nursing sessions decrease now?

alaskamum 08-14-2012 10:27 PM

Re: Continuing Past 6 Months. Help!!

Sleeping 7 hours seems like a good sign...

I didn't have a great supply with ds, but sufficient. He ate very frequently, but smaller amounts. When I switched to formula at 9 months (I got preggo when he was 8 months and dried up) he could only drink 2 oz at a time...which tells me that is all he was getting from me at a time, which is why he ate so often. He did gradually space out feedings as his stomach capacity increased.

Are you planning on starting solids? DS didn't care for solids, until he was close to a year. DD on the other hand ate like a horse (still does) and gladly took any solids that got in her way.

How many oz of formula is he getting a day?

Sorry, I have more questions than answers...but maybe that will help us get the whole picture. Hang in there, it's not always easy, hopefully someone will have some good answers for you.

ktbug87 08-15-2012 10:07 AM

Thanks for the response! The questions are no problem.

We started formula supplementation because he was in the 2nd percentile for weight despite 70th for height. He was also starting to eat more than ever...slowly working toward every hour like the newborn stage, and nursing sessions were lasting 30 minutes still. We also noticed he was very unhappy in general.

He gets 1-2 bottles a day. Usually 6 ounces each bottle. His mood has improved, and in 16 days he gained exactly 2 pounds and is now in the 13th percentile for weight.

Karing2 08-15-2012 06:17 PM

The feelings did get spaced out but honestly he nursed every 2 hours until 8 months and would sleep 7-8 hours at night nurse and go back to sleep.

~MamaMayhem~ 08-16-2012 01:11 PM

I would suggest starting solids if you aren't already (I didn't catch it) my LO is just like yours. Very low on the charts and a voracious nurser and I would guess he is just not getting the calories he needs/wants. Now, my LO will eat three times a day (ridiculous amounts, about what I would feed my seven year old) and she nurses about every 3-4 hours.

Almost all typos provided care of my iPhones stupid auto correct