Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Please help, How to pay someone in my home? Childcare. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1432444)

Numommy 08-15-2012 03:30 PM

Please help, How to pay someone in my home? Childcare.

I am having trouble finding someone to work the hours I need. I have a college student coming Saturday to meet us.

I do not know what to pay her.

She will be driving 30 minutes to get here.
2 children.
Normal days 7-5 Tues and Wed
When husband is out of town 445 to 10 pm. She can either stay and be pd for 24h care or I will work one day that week.
On Tuesdays and Wednesdays she will take my DD to school ( I will pay $10/d extra on school days) and pick her up at 300.

If she cannot work Tues and Wednesdays then I will pay her less. I would like to work while my daughter is at school. It is worth it to me to pay her more.

We live in a rural area, I drive 2.5 hours to work, work 13h x2 and stay the night in the middle but then I am done.

Alternately I can work M and T....

Help...

I have considered telling her: $150 a week up to 12 hours a day/2 days a week, hours are variable and if greater than 12 hours in one day we will pay her at a rate of 6 per hour.
Craft budget and all meals included.
.38 c per mile when she takes DD to school.

Sarai* 08-16-2012 03:36 PM

Re: Please help, How to pay someone in my home? Childcare.

Our nanny (before our son started school) had 2 kids/one in school, and the baby(who grew into toddler/preschool, she was with us from his birth to age 6)

We paid her 10-11$ an hour, 2-3 days a week (5 days in 2 weeks) she frequently worked from about 8:30-6:30, give or take. So $500 every two weeks, sometimes closer to $600 if she stayed longer/worked Sat hours. She made about $1100/month
She drove 1.3 hour round trip to pick up our daughter from private school for 2 years one the days she was here. The other 4 years, we did public and had the school bus. We did not pay gas/mileage, but when her car broke down, we bought her another used one. She did take another child from the private school home, and that moma happily reimbursed for gas.

She earned every darned penny of it, and was worth far more than we were able to pay her. Our son was a handful! I basically split my take home earnings with her.

We still see her regularly, and she is like family. I may have to work more hours soon, and if I do, she has already said she will come back, and our son is hugely attached, and begs for her.

5280Mommy 08-16-2012 09:39 PM

Minimum rate here is $10-12 for one kid and for me we look at $15-17 for the boys and occasional hours for dd. We are considering a p/t nanny when the boys start kindy but at this point daycare is a more affordable option. I'm not sure where you are but you would never be able to get someone here (colorado) for what you are considering. I'd suggest looking up nanny rates in your area. I think sitter city gives that info even if you don't subscribe.